While the majority of Holy Cross students live on campus, some juniors and seniors decide to live off campus. Living off campus presents new challenges; there will be bills to pay, daily chores to do, potential roommate conflicts to resolve, and non-student neighbors to meet and live with cooperatively. Off-campus students will tackle many of these issues without the convenience of a residence life staff to assist them. On this site you will find helpful information about locating the right apartment, moving in and out of your apartment, understanding and signing a lease, and important information, phone numbers, and places for off campus students.
- Is the asking price within the market value for units of the same size and location?
- Is the price negotiable?
- Is there a refundable security deposit?
- Are utilities and/or furnishings included?
- How many bedrooms are there? Does anyone have to share? Who?
- How many closets are there per person?
- Is there space for everyone's furniture in the living room?
- Is there study space? Room for computers?
- How many bathrooms are there? Is that number sufficient for the morning rush before classes?
- Is the kitchen big enough for everyone to use at the same time?
- Are there enough exterior lights?
- Are there screens on every window?
- Are the windows doubled paned? Are there working locks on every window?
- Are there enough fire exits?
- How many parking spaces are there?
- How safe is the area at night?
- How is the condition of the walls and ceiling?
- Does the apartment have carpets or hardwood floors?
- Are the walls and windows well insulated?
- How many and where are the electrical outlets?
- How many and where are the phone jacks? Is there more than one phone line?
- Are there laundry facilities?
- Is the apartment wired for cable television?
- Do the sinks and tubs drain properly?
- Do the faucet knobs work?
- Do you get the appropriate amount of hot and cold water?
- Is there enough water pressure?
- Are there water stains on the walls, ceilings or floors from leaks?
- Do the toilets flush properly?
- Is there a source of heat in each room?
- Can you control the heat?
- Are there dead bolt locks on the exterior door?
- Are there two exits in case of a fire?
- Does the unit meet all safety code guidelines?
- Is there adequate lighting in the stairwells and hallways?
- Are there smoke detectors?
- If the unit uses natural gas are there carbon monoxide detectors?
- What condition are the appliances in?
- Is the landscaping well maintained or are there "dark spots" on the property?
- What is the condition of the walkways, steps, stairs?
- What is the reputation of your landlord? Does he or she have a reputation for being responsive?
- Is he or she available to you?
- What conditions have to be met to get your deposit back?
- Are pets allowed? If yes, do the current occupants have a pet?
- Will the apartment be cleaned by a third party before your occupancy?