For general information on renting an apartment in Massachusetts, and your rights as a tenant see:
The Attorney General's Consumer Guide to Tenants' Rights (pdf).
Make sure your apartment has enough off-street parking available for each tenant's automobile. Many streets in the College Hill neighborhood have resident permit parking only. This means you cannot park on the street without a resident permit. To be eligible for the permit you must be a Worcester resident, pay excise tax on your vehicle to the City of Worcester, register your vehicle in Massachusetts and insure your car in Worcester. On a year-to-year basis, the college has offered a limited number of parking permits for students living off-campus. Consult the Department of Public Safety web page for more information.
The City of Worcester has a parking ban in effect from December 1st through March 31st on many streets including College street. Automobiles that violate the ban are towed. The ban prohibits cars from being parked in identified areas between 2:00am and 6:00am and eliminates parking in other areas. Pay attention to signs and information listed in the Worcester Telegram and Gazette for specific information about your street.
- Department of Public Safety (emergency line) - 508-793-2222
- Department of Public Safety (routine calls line) - 508-793-2224
- Health Services - 508-793-2276
- Office of Student Affairs - 508-793-2414
- Chaplains' Office - 508-793-2448
- Worcester Police Department - 508-799-8600
- Worcester Fire Department - 508-799-1816