While the majority of students live in residence halls, some choose to live off-campus. These students manage the responsibilities associated with independent living such as paying bills, doing chores, coordinating roommate relationships, and living alongside non-student neighbors.
The College of the Holy Cross is an integral part of the College Hill neighborhood and the City of Worcester. Facilitating a considerate and respectful community among the College and local residents is essential to the College’s mission. The College’s Off-Campus Living Policy provides more information regarding students expectations for living off-campus.
To apply to live off-campus, students must submit a fully completed Off-Campus Living Application as well as a Parent Consent form. As the total number of students allowed to live off-campus is limited, not all applications will be approved. Once given approval to live off-campus, students are expected to provide the Office of Residence Life & Housing with a copy of their final signed lease agreement to complete the process. Students are advised to NOT sign a lease until they have received official notice of permission to live off-campus. Legally committing to live off-campus without College approval could result in the student being financially responsible for both an off-campus housing lease as well as on-campus housing fees.
Tuesday, September 25th at 7:00PM in Hogan 406 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Thursday, September 27th at 7:00PM in Hogan 408 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Monday, October 1st at 6:00PM in Hogan 519 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Wednesday, October 3rd at 6:00PM in Hogan 401 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Thursday, October 4th, 2018 at 9AM - Off-Campus Living Application will be available to complete online
Tuesday, October 16th at 9am - deadline to complete the Off-Campus Living Application
OFF-CAMPUS LIVING APPLICATION PROCESS
STEP 1 Off-Campus Living Policy
NOTE: Before considering applying to live off-campus, students are also encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss any impact on their financial aid package.
STEP 2 Off-Campus Living Application
Each student interested in living off-campus must submit an application. The last day to submit the application is Tuesday, October 16th, 2018 by 9AM.
STEP 3 Parent Consent Form
Each student applying to live off-campus needs to have a completed Parent Consent form submitted. Applications are not considered to be complete until a Parent Consent Form for each student listed in the application has been submitted. Parent Consent Forms may be submitted at any time, but should be submitted prior to the application in order for the application to be considered complete.
STEP 4 Application Review
The Off-Campus Living Application will be available to be completed online beginning at 9am on Thursday, October 4th. The deadline to submit the application for review is 9am on Tuesday, October 16th. Completed, eligible applications will be approved with consideration for the order in which they were completed until no further applications can be approved. The earliest fully completed and eligible applications will have the best chances of being approved. As the number of students approved to live off-campus is limited, completing an eligible application prior to the deadline does not ensure that a group will be approved. Students are advised to NOT sign a lease until they have received official notice of permission to live off-campus. The College anticipates being able to inform students of their application status, and whether or not their group has been approved to live off-campus for the 2018-2019 academic year, prior to Thanksgiving break or sooner.
- Off-Campus Living Application:
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Each student interested in living off-campus must submit an application
- Applications received after the deadline will only be reviewed if additional applicants can still be approved, based on the number of applications received prior to the deadline
- Parent Consent Form – each student is required to have a complete Parent Consent Form submitted
- Class year :
- Rising seniors will be given priority
- Rising juniors who submit an application will only be considered if their applications were received before the deadline and there are no other senior applicants to be approved who also submitted their application before the deadline
- The student conduct history of each applicant is reviewed:
- Students on College or residence hall probation during the current semester will not be approved to live off-campus for the following academic year
- Students on College probation during the previous Spring semester will not be approved to live off-campus for the following academic year
STEP 5 Lease Agreement Completion & Submission
- Step by step instructions on how to submit a lease online: submitting a lease
- Students will be informed of their application status during the end of October
- Eligible groups that do not receive approval will be maintained on a wait-list in order of when their applications were submitted completely
- Students planning to live off-campus are required to submit a copy of their final signed lease agreement to Residence Life & Housing. Each student must submit their own lease, leases may not be submitted on behalf of an entire group.
- Students are encouraged to request that an addendum be included in their lease which ties their obligation to the lease to their ability to attend classes on campus at the College of the Holy Cross. This protects students from any additional financial responsibility due to unexpected changes to their status as a student.
- Students approved during the Fall semester will have until the end of the semester to submit a final lease
- Students who fail to submit a final signed lease prior to the end of the semester may have their approval to live off-campus rescinded
- Students approved from the wait-list will be given a specific deadline, determined by Residence Life & Housing, to submit a final signed lease agreement
If you have any questions about the application process, please submit them to ResLife@holycross.edu.
For questions about student conduct, please contact Associate Dean of Students Paul Irish at PIrish@holycross.edu.
The following resources provide more information regarding life off-campus:
- Summary of Off-Campus Living Application Process
- Off-Campus Living Policy
- The Right Apartment
- Moving In and Out
- Signing a Lease
- Important Information