While the majority of students live in residence halls, some choose to live off-campus. These students manage the responsibilities associated with independent living such as paying bills, doing chores, coordinating roommate relationships, and living alongside non-student neighbors.
The College of the Holy Cross is an integral part of the College Hill neighborhood and the City of Worcester. Facilitating a considerate and respectful community among the College and local residents is essential to the College’s mission. The College’s Off-Campus Living Policy provides more information regarding students expectations for living off-campus.
To apply to live off-campus, students must submit a fully completed Off-Campus Living Application as well as a Parent Consent form. As the total number of students allowed to live off-campus is limited, not all applications will be approved. Once given approval to live off-campus, students are expected to provide the Office of Residence Life & Housing with a copy of their final signed lease agreement to complete the process. Students are advised to NOT sign a lease until they have received official notice of permission to live off-campus. Legally committing to live off-campus without College approval could result in the student being financially responsible for both an off-campus housing lease as well as on-campus housing fees.
Tuesday, September 26th at 6:30PM in Hogan 519 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Thursday, September 28th at 7:00PM in Hogan 519 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Monday, October 2nd at 5:00PM in Hogan 519 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Wednesday, October 4th at 7:00PM in Hogan 519 - Off-Campus Living Information Session
Thursday, October 5th, 2017 at 9AM - Off-Campus Living Application will be available to complete online
Friday, October 20th at 9am - deadline to complete the Off-Campus Living Application
OFF-CAMPUS LIVING APPLICATION PROCESS
STEP 1 Off-Campus Living Policy
NOTE: Before considering applying to live off-campus, students are also encouraged to meet with the Financial Aid Office to discuss any impact on their financial aid package.
Students may submit applications as a group of 1, 2, or 3. Only one Off-Campus Living Application needs to be submitted for each group. The last day to submit the application is Friday, October 20th, 2017 by 9AM.
STEP 3 Parent Consent Form
Every student applying to live off-campus needs to have a completed Parent Consent form submitted. Applications are not considered to be complete until a Parent Consent Form for each student listed in the application has been submitted. Parent Consent Forms may be submitted at any time, but should be submitted prior to the application in order for the application to be considered complete.
STEP 4 Application Review
The Off-Campus Living Application will be available to be completed online beginning at 9am on Thursday, October 5th. The deadline to submit the application for review is 9am on Friday, October 20th. Completed, eligible applications will be approved with consideration for the order in which they were completed until no further applications can be approved, as such the earliest fully completed and eligible applications will have the best chances of being approved. As the number of students approved to live off-campus is limited, completing an eligble application prior to the deadline does not ensure that a group will be approved. Students are advised to NOT sign a lease until they have received official notice of permission to live off-campus. The College anticipates being able to inform students of their application status, and whether or not their group has been approved to live off-campus for the 2018-2019 academic year, prior to Thanksgiving break.
- Off-Campus Living Application:
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Applications may be submitted as a group of 1, 2, or 3 - groups larger than 3 need to submit separate applications for each apartment unit
- Students submitting an application on behalf of a group will need to submit each students' full name, HCID#, class year, and athletic team affiliation (if applicable)
- Applications received after the deadline will only be reviewed if additional applicants can still be approved, based on the number of applications received prior to the deadline
- Parent Consent Form – each student is required to have a complete Parent Consent Form submitted
- Class year :
- Rising seniors will be given priority
- Rising juniors who submit an application will only be considered if their applications were received before the deadline and there are no other senior applicants to be approved who also submitted their application before the deadline
- The student conduct history of each applicant is reviewed:
- Students on College or residence hall probation during the Fall 2017 semester will not be approved to live off-campus for the 2018-2019 academic year
- Students on College probation during the Spring 2017 semester will not be approved to live off-campus for the 2018-2019 year
STEP 5 Lease Agreement Completion & Submission
- Step by step instructions on how to submit a lease online: submitting a lease
- Students will be informed of their application status no later than Thanksgiving break
- Eligible groups that do not receive approval will be maintained on a wait-list in order of when their applications were submitted completely
- Approved groups are required to submit a copy of their final signed lease agreement to Residence Life & Housing. Each applicant must appear on a final signed lease agreement. Only one student from each roommate group needs to submit the final signed lease agreement to Residence Life & Housing
- Students are encouraged to request that an addendum be included in their lease which ties their obligation to the lease to their ability to attend classes on campus at the College of the Holy Cross. This protects students from any additional financial responsibility due to unexpected changes to their status as a student.
- Groups approved during November will have until Thursday, January 25th to submit a final lease
- Groups who fail to submit a final signed lease prior to this date may have their approval to live off-campus rescinded
- Groups approved from the wait-list will have 8 weeks from their approval date to submit a final signed lease agreement
If you have any questions about the application process, please submit them to ResLife@holycross.edu.
For questions about student conduct, please contact Associate Dean of Students Paul Irish at PIrish@holycross.edu.
The following resources provide more information regarding life off-campus:
- Summary of Off-Campus Living Application Process
- Off-Campus Living Policy
- The Right Apartment
- Moving In and Out
- Signing a Lease
- Important Information