Liberal arts students find fulfilling careers in just about every field due to their flexibility and adaptability to succeed anywhere. Most students come to Holy Cross without a clear idea of what they want to major in, and even those with strong ideas often change their mind after taking courses in new disciplines.
You are more likely to succeed in a major that you enjoy. Reflect on your strengths, skills, interests and values. Reflect on the classes that you have taken thus far. Do you see a trend towards one department? What have you enjoyed or disliked about your classes?
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor to discuss your strengths, skills, interests and values and how majors translate into careers.
- Take the Strong Interest Inventory, a widely-used career assessment tool which measures career interest.
- Review the HC Network to see what alumni majored in and their careers.
- Talk with professors, academic advisors or upper class students.
- Think about what you want to participate in while at Holy Cross such as study abroad, extra-curricular activities or athletics; consider how the disciplines you are interested in will fit into your non-academic interests.