Fund Policies and Requirement
The Crusader Internship Fund exists to help offset the cost of accepting an otherwise unpaid opportunity. Our goal is to provide funding for as many students as possible given the current landscape. Matriculating sophomores and juniors are eligible for funding once during their time at Holy Cross. Assignment of funds to recipients will be determined by the Center for Career Development.
COVID Statement: There is a possibility that all funded, in-person internships will need to be changed to remote internships due to COVID-19 guidelines and College policy. If internships must be remote, the Center for Career Development will inform you of this decision and you will need to contact your employer and ask if remote arrangements can be made. For internships that are modified to remote, any funding for relocation or travel will no longer be available.
- Students can only receive funding once through the Crusader Internship Fund
- Must be a matriculating member of the class of 2022 or 2023
- Must have an unpaid internship offer in hand
Funding Award Amount - Summer 2021
The Crusader Internship Fund offers two funding options for internships, full-time or part time.
- 250-300 hours (students will not be funded for hours worked beyond)
- $2500 base
- $1000 demonstrated financial need
- $500 commuting (in-person)
- $500-$1000 relocation (500 for non- nyc/dc, $1000 for ny/dc - in-person)
Estimated Stipend Range: $2500 - $5000
Part- Time Option
- 200 to 250 hours (students will not be funded for fewer hours)
- $2000 base
- $500 demonstrated financial need
- $250 commuting (in-person)
Estimated Stipend Range: $2000 - $2750
Expenses not covered by summer internship funding include (but are not limited to): the purchase of a vehicle; clothing; test prep courses (LSAT, GRE, etc.); insurance; internship programs that charge for participation, summer coursework, startups run by students, personal travel; and entertainment.
*There is a possibility that all College funded internships may need to be remote due to COVID 19 for summer 2021. If this is the case, we will notify funded students as soon as possible, so that remote arrangements can be discussed and coordinated with the internship sites. Relocation funding will no longer apply if the internship is modified to a remote position.
Qualifying Internship Criteria
- take place during the summer
- be unpaid
- provide exposure/experience to a career field of interest
- dedicated supervisor who oversees the learning and growth of the student
- weekly (at a minimum) meetings with the supervisor
- at an organization for which you haven’t already worked/interned (See note below)*
- platform for communication and flow of work (FOR REMOTE: Zoom, Skype, Google Meets, etc.) free of charge
- student/employer mutually agreed upon Learning Objectives and goals for the internship
- employer to complete a final written evaluation of the student
The Crusader Internship Fund is available thanks to a number of specific funding sources from various alumni and other Holy Cross affiliated groups. Funded students will learn more about their donors and are required to send a thank-you letter at the end of their internship experience.
Recent funding sources include: New York Leadership Council, Holy Cross Alumni Association and Regional Clubs, J.D. Power Fund, Atchinson Family Fund, William F. McCall, Jr. '55 Summer Internships Fund, Beale Fund, Daniels Fund, and Santander. Students need not apply for individual funding sources. If awarded funding, the Center for Career Development staff will determine the most relevant funding source.
Crusader Internship Fund Request Process
Once a student secures an unpaid internship they must request an experience through their Handshake account. Students provide the details of their summer internship, along with internship learning objectives based on NACE’s career competencies, which are visible to the employer and the Center for Career Development. Summer Internship Fund requests are approved based upon the student having an unpaid internship offer in hand, quality of submitted application materials, benefit to student, and internship meeting qualifying criteria. Assignment of funds to recipients will be determined by the Center for Career Development.
Crusader Internship Fund Request Timeline: As soon you have secured an unpaid internship, you can Request an Experience through Handshake to get into the application queue. Your application will be reviewed and you will receive confirmation of receipt within 5 business days (Monday-Friday). Application approval is not considered final until internship details have been verified by the employer via Handshake, at which point your funding amount will be communicated. The funding award amount will be communicated within one week of receiving funding notification. Funding is awarded on a rolling basis and funding is limited.
Requirements for Funded Students
- Once funds are awarded, all recipients will receive an agreement, which they must sign electronically. This agreement will provide information about the terms of the award and the timing of the distribution of funds to the recipient. Funding will be withheld from any recipient whose internship falls through. Likewise, if the internship ends prematurely, funding will be prorated accordingly. Failure to comply with other terms as stated in the agreement may result in the cancellation of the award, nonpayment of the first and/or second check, or in the recipient being billed by the College for any or all amounts already received.
- Review summer send-off workshop materials, which cover tips and requirements for your summer internship
- Students must complete a short midpoint and final evaluation during the course of their summer internship.
- Students must receive credit and transcript notation through the Experiential Learning Partial Credit (ELPC) program at the College
- At the completion of the internship, students will send a thank you note to the donor(s) of their internship as well as to their internship supervisor and any others at the organization they want to thank for their assistance
- Students will participate in the Summer Internship Expo in Fall 2021 (Arrangements will be made for students studying away from campus to receive and review all required materials)
- Provide the CCD a photo from your internship
- Contact Employer Supervisor to obtain evaluation, if needed