Social Media Branding Guidelines
Effective August 18, 2014
These style guidelines are intended to aid Holy Cross community members who create and manage social media channels on behalf of their academic or administrative departments or program area, whether officially or unofficially. Examples of current social media tools include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram, WordPress, Tumblr, Flickr, and Pinterest.
Profile and Banner Images
Campus social media accounts (departments, programs, areas, etc.) should not use any graphic identity or elements as their social media account’s profile, banner, or background images.
Examples of prohibited elements include:
- the college logo, seal, shield, or wordmark
- internal, department or co-branded logos
- photos of collateral featuring College identity including banners, signage, clothing, etc.
- other images designed as graphics such as text or other drawn or designed elements.
Rather, use identifiable and iconic College photography for both the profile and banner images, ideally photos that represent your specific area or department. Appropriate College imagery can be found on the College’s digital asset management system, Resource Space: http://assets.holycross.edu.
Avoid graphics and low quality images as well as photographs containing minors. Unless you captured the photo yourself or selected the photo from the College’s digital asset management system, you must have permission to use the photo. Images from Google Image Search or similar services, or on websites (including holycross.edu) are typically copyrighted and/or have restricted usage rights.
- Twitter: Twitter recommends dimensions of 1500 × 500 pixels to accommodate all the different devices and screen sizes used today, but will most commonly appear at the 400 x 400 pixels size for most users. The maximum file size for header images in Twitter is 5MB.
- Facebook: Facebook recommends dimensions of 170 x 170 pixels for profile; 820 pixels wide and 312 pixels tall for cover photo.
- YouTube: YouTube recommends uploading a 2560 x 1440 pixel image (including a "safe area"). The minimum display size for channel art is 1546 x 423 pixels, so you can be sure nothing within this area, such as text and logos, will be cut off.
- Instagram: 150 x 150 pixels
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact College Marketing and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-793-2419.