Whether you have food allergies, dietary restrictions or simply need some assistance with your food selections, Holy Cross Dining can provide the resources to help you make delicious choices safely and easily.
For several years, Holy Cross Dining has posted nutrition information for all dining locations on the department’s menu web pages. Last year we began providing nutrition facts at the point of service in Kimball Main Dining Room. This year, we are making nutrition information even more accessible with nutrition facts and allergen information available at additional dining locations. Our on line menu platform is being upgraded to be smart phone friendly and searching for your preferred menu items will be easier than ever with a new filtering search function.
Students with food allergies should meet with the dietitian to learn about special food allergy services available and how to make the most of the resources provided. Email the Dietitian, Alyssa Pittman, RD at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-793-3618.
- Holy Cross Dining Food Allergy & Special Diet Program Brochure (PDF)
- How to eat gluten friendly in Kimball (PDF)
- Holy Cross Food Allergy (YouTube)
To help identify the leanest choices, we created “Performance Foods” available in Kimball Main Dining Room. Performance Foods are protein foods with less than 3 g of fat per ounce, sauces have 75 calories or less per half cup, vegetables are prepared simply and the complex carbohydrate foods contain adequate fiber and nutrition.
A blue circular “PF” icon indicates a menu item meets these criteria. Choose Performance Foods to support performance on the athletic field, theater stage or to help with concentration during studying! Questions? E-mail the Dietitian, Alyssa Pittman, RD at email@example.com or call 508-793-3618.
Interesting Nutrition Related Links
- Health Review: A Complete Guide to Nutrition and Fitness
- The Student's Guide to Nutrition
- Food allergic in college, and coping (Boston.com)
- Allergy Free Dining at Holy Cross Video (NECN)
- Allergic Nation (Inside Higher Ed)
- Colleges accommodate more students with food allergies (usatoday.com)
- General Nutrition - The source for all things nutrition.
- Food Allergies - FAAN, Food allergy & anaphylazis network
- Lists of Single Nutrient Food Sources - Reports of selected food items and nutrients, sorted either by food description or in descending order by nutrient content in household measures.
- Nutrition Data - Find nutritional information and analyze all types of food.
- Daily Food Plan - Explore the new “My Plate” website, with just a few clicks get a personalized nutrition plan
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the leading source for nutrition professionals, and offers the public links to reliable nutrition information.
- Estimate your body fat percentage with simple tape measurements. For most people, body composition is a better indicator of fitness than BMI.
- Sodium - NYC has great information about sodium, it’s impact on health, and steps to take to reduce sodium intake.