Destined to be a campus focal point in the years to come, the ambitious and comprehensive performing arts center will include dedicated spaces for the fine and performing arts as well as spaces and technology to support creative interactions between the arts and other disciplines.
The new performing arts center will provide a gateway to the Holy Cross campus — a visible space for the arts.
Location: Behind Healy Hall (currently parking spaces)
Design firm: Diller Scofidio + Renfro
Project commences: July 2019
Anticipated opening: 2022
Total cost: $107M
- A 400-seat proscenium-style concert hall and theatre, serving as the College's principal venue for symphonic music, chamber music, jazz, Gamelan, as well as opera, musical theatre, and dance
- A 200-seat fully flexible experimental theatre space
- Support space including a scene shop, costume shop, recording studio, lighting and set design study, and multi-use spaces to encourage collaboration among the arts
- The Beehive, a flexible space with a cafe that will support creative collaboration among students from all academic disciplines, including:
- A shared multimedia teaching space for electronic music and musical composition courses, sound recording, sound editing, and video and film editing
- Collaborative workspaces, multipurpose rehearsal spaces, and gathering spaces with movable furniture
- The Cantor Art Gallery, which will be moved from its current location in O’Kane Hall, affording a variety of interdisciplinary exhibits and increased exhibition and storage space
- Several outdoor amenities, including a small amphitheater and gardens for meditation and outdoor creative work
Watch construction of the Prior Performing Arts Center via our webcam.
- Sept. 23, 2020: Holy Cross Reaches Milestone in Construction of Center for Performing Arts
- July 28, 2017: Holy Cross Unveils Architectural Drawings for New Center for Arts and Creativity
- Jan. 15, 2015: Diller Scofidio + Renfro Selected to Design New Performing Arts Center at Holy Cross
- Feb. 13, 2013: Alumnus Donates $25 Million to Holy Cross to Enhance the Arts