Beginning in the spring semester, the Joanne Chouinard-Luth Recreation and Wellness Center (“The Jo”), our beautiful new fitness center, will open. Although COVID-19 testing will take place on the courts, the remainder of the facility will be available for limited student use.
As of Monday March 8, The Jo will be open for student use by reservation in myHC when the College is in a yellow or green Alert Status. Operational hours will be Monday-Friday 8am-9pm, Saturday-Sunday 10am-5pm.
Upon Arrival at The Jo
- Change into a clean, spare pair of shoes (to help keep our new building and equipment clean)
- Check in with ID ready
- Verify HC Clear to enter
- Wear your face mask at all times
- Maintain social distance (14’ while working out)
- Bring a full bottle of water to stay hydrated
- Leave your belongings at home if possible
Available Spaces Will Include
- Cardio machines and strength equipment: These spaces include treadmills, elipticals, stationary bikes, and rowing machines. Additionally, a free weight area is available as well as selectorized weight machines to easily adjust your weight.
- Multipurpose studio space: This space does not include equipment but is available for personal workouts (yoga, stretching, body weight exercises). Students can bring their own equipment if they'd like, such as a yoga mat or stretch band.
- Blaney Gym and the Indoor Practice Facility in the Luth Athletic Complex will continue to have daily hours for which students can register.
- The Loyola Fitness Center and the Circuit Trailer will be closed for the spring semester. Neither the pool nor ice rink will be available for general student use this semester.
- Reservations will be made in myHC and will be confirmed by staff upon arrival.
- A reservation will be for 60 minutes in a particular area of The Jo, and we ask that you remain in that area during your workout. Reservable spaces will include the indoor track, the multipurpose studio, and the cardio/strength areas.
- Reservations can be made 48 hours in advance, and 1 reservation is permitted per day per person.
- At the end of each reservation block, 30 minute cleaning blocks will be left to allow for additional cleaning.
- To make a reservation: Students should download the myHC app on your phone and sign-in using your Holy Cross credentials. Students without a smartphone can use the myHC website to make reservations, and manually check in with the welcome desk attendant.
- To search for available times using the myHC app: Click on Events at the bottom navigation, click on the List tab at the top of the page, and look for the following “Work out at The Jo” events: Indoor Track; Multipurpose Studio; and Cardio & Strength Equipment. Click to register for the event, and then select your preferred time slot. Note that reservations will become available 48 hours in advance.
- Reservation blocks are as follows
|Weekday Workout Blocks||Weekend Workout Blocks|
- Plan to arrive at The Jo several minutes prior to your reservation in order to ensure adequate time for check-in. Upon arrival, students will check in at the welcome desk in the lobby to confirm their appointment in myHC and their HC Clear access.
- To check in via myHC: Open the myHC app, click on the QR Code Scanner from the main menu, and scan the appropriate QR code that will be posted at the reception desk to confirm your arrival.
Health & Safety Information
Creating a safe and enjoyable culture at The Jo is our top priority this semester. Signage will be posted to inform everyone about proper cleaning and hygiene. Hand sanitizer and disposable wipes will be spread abundantly throughout the facility so students can disinfect their hands and equipment before/after use.
- Masks will be required at all times, and students will need to maintain 14’ of social distancing during their workout
- Students should wipe down their equipment before and after.
- All equipment will be arranged so exercise areas are spaced out at least 14’ apart. Equipment that can’t be spaced out or properly cleaned will be marked as closed with signs.
- Capacity limits will be posted throughout the facility, and reservations will be required to adhere to capacity limits.
- In order to maintain social distancing, no spotting for lifts will be permitted.
- Locker rooms can be used to change clothing, but lockers will be closed to ensure adequate social distancing and limit shared space of personal belongings.
Spaces & Amenities That are Unavailable at This Time
The following are currently unavailable due to COVID testing and hygiene limitations.
- Ground Level Court Space (basketball/volleyball/badminton)
- Ground Level Spin Room
- Indoor Track
- Lower Level Golf Room
- Equipment checkout (yoga mats, yoga blocks, sports equipment)
- Common area seats that can’t be socially distanced
The Jo is an amazing addition to our community. However, capacity will be limited (about 55 spots per hour) due to fitness center social distancing requirements. Because of this, I highly encourage you to integrate your workout into off-peak hours of the day and be flexible with the type of workout you do while you’re here. It is important that you show up for your session, or cancel it in advance in myHC, so that someone else can use the time slot.
General Facility Policies
- Please clean all equipment before and after use with provided cleaning supplies.
- Appropriate exercise attire and footwear such as t-shirts; soft-soled, non-marking closed toed, closed-heel athletic shoes; and athletic pants/shorts is required at all times.
- Water must be in an enclosed, unbreakable container. Food, chewing gum and other drinks are prohibited.
- Holy Cross is not responsible for any lost, stolen, damaged, or unattended items.
- With the exception of service animals, pets are not allowed on College property including at The Jo.
- Personal music devices are not permitted unless used with headphones. This includes radios and bluetooth speakers.
- No unauthorized photography or videotaping.
- All equipment must remain in The Jo and on its respective floor.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed.
- Intentionally slamming or dropping weights is prohibited.
- The use of hand chalk is prohibited. We encourage the use of wraps and other lifting aides.
- Weight collars must be used on barbells at all times.
- Do not learn or throw any equipment against the mirrors or walls.
- Please observe a thirty (30)-minute limit on all cardio machines during peak hours.
- Be considerate to other people using the facility. Do not sit, rest, or socialize on the equipment.
- Limit excessive noise, which may distract other patrons.
- Personal training and instruction is limited to Jo staff. Instruction for pay or trade by outside entities is not permitted.
- Track direction varies by day
- CLOCKWISE: Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Saturday
- COUNTER CLOCKWISE: Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday
On-Campus Recreation Equipment Loan
For students living on campus, a limited amount of recreational equipment will be available for students to borrow at the Hogan kiosk. Available items include yoga mats, fitness bands, snow shoes, bocce ball, croquet, Spikeball, badminton, and pickleball. Available games include giant jenga, giant connect 4, PS4 gaming equipment, and assorted board games.
- Hogan kiosk hours, Spring 2021: Thursdays, 3-7 p.m., Fridays 3-7 p.m., Saturdays 12 p.m.-3 p.m., Sundays 12-3 p.m.
- To check out equipment: Students should come to the Hogan kiosk during the hours listed above and bring their HC ID to check out equipment. When checking out equipment, students are expected to follow the posted health and safety guidelines. Students may sign out and return equipment anytime throughout the weekend, but all equipment must be returned to the Hogan kiosk by 3 pm on Sunday.
- Borrowing terms: Students may only check out one set of equipment at a time. All students will be expected to clean equipment before and after use with the provided cleaning supplies.
Virtual and No-Equipment Fitness Options
Please visit holycross.edu/campusrec for more information.
Club and Intramural Sports
Club and intramural sports are postponed for the spring 2021 semester.
Students with questions should email email@example.com with questions.