What if I was involved in an incident that was addressed and documented by staff from Residence Life and Housing and/or Public Safety personnel? What happens next?

Reports alleging student misconduct (non-academic and non-Title IX/Equal Opportunity) are forwarded to the Office of Student Integrity and Community Standards for review. Students who respond to one or more allegations (i.e. respondents) will receive written notification of the alleged misconduct including details such as the incident date, time and location. Any relevant administrative charges (i.e specific Community Standards that may have been violated) are also included in this correspondence. These administrative meetings provide an opportunity for the student to be heard and to share their version of events. All involved students (respondents, complainants and/or incident witnesses) are strongly encouraged to participate when invited to do so. Once all available information is collected, determinations related to responsibility and/or any appropriate sanctioning are made.

What role may parents and/or attorneys play in the Community Standards process?

Neither parents nor attorneys have any role in this administrative process and may not be present at any student meeting while a disciplinary matter is pending. However, students are permitted to have a support person serve in the capacity of an advisor while they navigate the Community Standards process. If a parent has a question or concern related to a procedural matter, they may contact the Community Standards Administrator assigned to their student's case and/or the Director of Student Integrity and Community Standards. Attorneys should direct any/all questions or concerns to the Holy Cross Office of the General Counsel at 508-793-3759.


What happens if a student is alleged to have violated the College's Community Standards? Are parents notified? 

As a general practice, if a student is responding to an alleged violation, they are directed to discuss these circumstances with their parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s). The College will notify parents and/or legal guardians in cases where a decision to suspend or expel a student has been made. If a student under the age of twenty-one is found in violation of the College's Alcohol and Drug policy, the College will contact the student's parent(s) and/or legal guardian(s) informing them of the violation. 


What is the significance of College Probation? What does this mean?

A current or previous record of College Probation may adversely impact a student’s ability to participate in various College-sponsored activities, events and/or educational programs. This may include, but is not limited to, an inability to serve as a resident assistant, student government officer, orientation leader, or some other leadership role. The Office of Student Integrity and Community Standards makes no decision regarding a student's on-campus employment but will provide disciplinary records to other departments should they request such records for the purpose of their own search, selection and/or hiring processes. A current or previous record of College Probation may also preclude a student from participating in a study abroad program, regardless of where the student is in the application and/or approval process. Please note that any final decision regarding a student's participation in a study abroad program is made by the Study Abroad office.