GCR Community Service Work-Study

Holy Cross offers students numerous ways to volunteer and serve.  Government and Community Relations offers students a chance to serve through a paid internship through Community Service Work-Study (CSWS). GCR provides students with real-life opportunities to live the Jesuit mission of service for and with others through its placement of students as interns or tutors with local organizations that qualify to host FWS students.  The mission of each organization that we partner with is to better the community in some capacity - whether it be through food justice, ending poverty, access to and success in higher education, women's health, or community engagement (to name just a few).  If you are looking for a job, and are work-study eligible as determined by the Financial Aid Office, GCR may have the perfect position for you!

GCR offers academic year and summer community service work-study positions.  If you are unsure if you qualify for work-study (receive a work-study award as part of your financial aid package), please send an email to Sue Hunt at shunt@holycross.edu to inquire on your status and include your HC ID in the message.

How to Apply

The Community Service Work-Study positions are offered to students who receive a work-study award as part of their financial aid package. To check your eligibility, please inquire by email to Sue Hunt at shunt@holycross.edu and include your HC ID in the message.

To view current positions and to apply, please go to the Student Employment Guide on the HC website. (Use your HC username and password to log in.) Positions offered through GCR appear in the Guide with the prefix "GCR" before the job title. Additionally, community service work-study positions are also posted to Handshake.  If you do not receive a response to your application within 2 days of submitting, please contact Sue Hunt at shunt@holycross.edu.

Once eligibility is confirmed, and the application is submitted, GCR will connect the student with the organization to continue the application and interview process.

If hired,  a student must submit an I9 and a W-4 Form for HR/Payroll purposes. Also, GCR requires students to complete a registration form prior to the start of their employment.

Required Forms for Employment

New student employees who have not previously worked on campus must complete the following forms.

  • Form I9 
    A student employee must complete an I9 form prior to working or within the first three (3) days of employment to verify that he/she is authorizedto work in the United States. If a student is unable to provide documentation of his/her eligibility to lawfully accept employment in the United States, the individual may not be employed or the individual’s employment must be terminated. Completion of an I9 Form requires acceptable documents for identification. Please refer to the listing of acceptable documentation on the I-9. You can also obtain information about Form I-9 from the USCIS Web site at www.uscis.gov/I-9Central, by e-mailingUSCIS at I-9Central@dhs.gov, or by calling 1-888-464-4218. For TDD (hearing impaired), call 1-877-875-6028. Students can contact the Human Resources department to complete this process.

  • Form W-4
    All new hires must complete Form W-4 before receiving their first paycheck.  This form includes information on marital status, number of dependents, and designated additional withholding amounts.  If you have difficulty completing the W-4 form, you might want to check out this IRS article about Calculating Your Withholding Allowance.  The form may be completed online.

Once a student completes a Form I9 and Form W-4 at Holy Cross, he/she/they will not be required to complete them again.  (Although a student may change withholdings at any time via the W-4 form.)

Please note that depending on your position, you may be required to complete a CORI form in order to meet the requirements of the organization you are working for through GCR.  (All tutors will be required to complete this form)

  • CORI
    The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has been certified by the Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) to access conviction and pending criminal case data (criminal offender record information, or CORI) for the purpose of screening prospective and current holders of educator licenses awarded by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Department also is authorized to access CORI conviction data in the context of investigations and proceedings relative to the decertification process. CORI checks are part of a general screening process for licensure and may be conducted by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as a condition of educator licensure.

Organizations/Agencies Approved for Community Service Work-Study 

Holy Cross students that receive a Federal Work-Study (FWS) award may obtain positions with authorized off-campus agencies for community service work-study. An agency's work must help to improve the life and well-being of its community. CSWS placements may be with organizations in the fields of education & literacy, youth programming, healthcare, hunger & food insecurity, housing & homelessness, arts & culture, etc. Some of the restrictions include if the job with the organization primarily benefits the members of an organization that has membership limits, such as a credit union, fraternal or religious order, labor union or cooperative; if the job involves any partisan or nonpartisan political activity or association with a faction in an election for public or party office; if the job is working for an elected official; if a student's political support or party affiliation will be taken into account in hiring her or him; and if the job involves lobbying on a federal, state, or local level.

To determine if an organization's eligibility, an online application form must be completed.

If an organization is eligible and a student is placed with them, the organization must complete a Holy Cross - Organization Agreement prior to the student's start date. An organization may keep a copy of the agreement for their records but the original must be sent to GCR.