The Iris and B. Cantor Art Gallery has more than 1,000 objects in its permanent collection. Through the generosity of alumni, artists, and friends of the College, the gallery has become a resource to the campus community for permanent and rotating placements of art objects that enhance the landscaped grounds of the campus and interiors of many academic buildings. A rotating selection of the permanent collection is often on view in the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Foundation Resource Gallery adjacent to the main gallery space.
The permanent collection represents a broad spectrum of art and historical periods and is enriched by the gift of a teaching collection comprised of historical Southeast Asian textiles from West Sumatra, and other islands of Indonesia, India and Laos. Additional notable works in the permanent collection include sculpture by Auguste Rodin, Enzo Plazzotta, Chaim Gross, Peter Grippe, Georg Kolbe, Robert Beauchamp and Robert Wlerick; photographs by Marilyn Bridges, Paul Caponigro, William Garnett, Eliot Porter and Dorothy Norman; and paintings, prints and drawings by Michael Beatty, Robert Beauchamp, François Bonvin, Robert Goodnough, Terri Priest, Dorothea Rockburne, James Stroud and John Wilson.
A recent major gift of drawings from the archive of American abstract expressionist Robert Beauchamp (1923-1995) was given to the College by his widow Nadine Valenti Beauchamp, with an exhibition curated by Professor Maurice Géracht (English), Professor Leslie Schomp (Visual arts), and the director of the Cantor, Roger Hankins, which was on view from January 25 through March 28, 2018.