Every year, the Department of Classics awards four-year, full-tuition scholarships to high school graduates who will major in classics at Holy Cross.
We seek students who are:
passionate about classics, and eager to share their passion with others
not afraid to stretch themselves or try something new, and are resilient when faced with challenges
specifically interested in the opportunities offered by our program, a unique example of a large department in a small college.
While a typical campus visit is not possible this semester because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are delighted to offer you the opportunity to meet members of our community and to learn more about the department through a Zoom visit. If you are interested in setting up such a virtual visit, please get in touch with the classics department's academic coordinator, Karen Harney.
We are especially interested in working with candidates from groups under-represented in classics, including first-generation college students.
- Apply for admission to Holy Cross.
- Complete the online application. Please note the 2021 application is now closed. The application for 2022 will be available mid-Fall 2021.
- Names of two or three recommenders, at least one of whom has directly taught you or worked with you in your study of classics
- Two short essays (500 words each)
- Scores of any national exams in Latin you have taken (SAT, AP)
- Choose a passage of an ancient text that you want to tell your friends or family about, and comment on it to an audience that knows nothing about classics.
- Describe an obstacle you have faced in your study of classics, and how you have tried to overcome it.
- Describe a time when your study of classics made you think differently about the world you live in.