Every year, the Department of Classics awards four-year, full-tuition scholarships to high school graduates who will major in Classics at Holy Cross. We seek students who are:
passionate about Classics, and eager to share their passion with others
not afraid to stretch themselves or try something new, and are resilient when faced with challenges
specifically interested in the opportunities offered by our program, a unique example of a large department in a small college
- Apply for admission to Holy Cross.
- Complete the additional supplementary application for scholarships in Classics by January 15, 2019. (A new online application form will be available in November, 2018: check back here then for a link to the form.)
- Names of two or three recommenders, at least one of whom has directly taught you or worked with you in your study of Classics
- Two short essays (500 words each)
- Scores of any national exams in Latin you have taken (SAT, AP)
- Choose a passage of an ancient text that you want to tell your friends or family about, and comment on it to an audience that knows nothing about Classics.
- Describe an obstacle you have faced in your study of Classics, and how you have tried to overcome it.
- Describe a time when your study of Classics made you think differently about the world you live in.