This group is charged with developing a strategic plan for improving our campus climate with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The plan should include concrete steps to:
- Promote and foster an inclusive campus climate;
- Address specific concerns related to race and ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and religious identity; and
- Recruit and retain diverse faculty, staff and students.
The plan should include recommendations and goals in each of the following areas:
- Education and Training for faculty, staff and students;
- Resources and programming to address the unique issues, needs and circumstances of community members who have been historically marginalized; and
- Policies and procedures to support the development of a more diverse and inclusive campus community at all levels.
The College will provide resources to allow the group to consult with different constituencies on campus, and with those at other institutions in order to investigate and identify best practices. The committee will also be given the results of the ENGAGE summit survey and the campus climate survey to inform some of their work. In addition the College will provide the resources of an administrative assistant to help with planning and logistics.
The group is free to structure its efforts in whatever ways seem most effective. In particular the group may need to form subcommittees to address different aspects of the charge. We will provide the names of all community members who had offered to serve on the group as a resource. In addition, two members of the executive team, Michele Murray and Margaret Freije, will serve as ex officio members of the group. They will ensure that the full executive team is informed about the work of the group and can give feedback about goals and priorities.
We recognize that the changes we hope to make in campus culture will require sustained efforts in a variety of areas, over a period of time. Thus it would be helpful if the planning group could indicate which of their recommendations have the highest priority for them.
We are asking that your report and recommendations are sent to the Executive Team by April 15, 2019. This is a short timeline but it is necessary in order to allow us to gather feedback from the community and plan for implementation.
- Amit Taneja, Chair, Dean of Diversity Equity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
- L. Gabriela Avila-Bront, Assistant Professor, Chemistry
- Robert Bellin, Professor, Biology
- Danilo Antonio Contreras, Assistant Professor, Political Science
- Alvaro Jarrin, Assistant Professor, Anthropology
- Marybeth Kearns-Barrett, Director of Office of College Chaplains
- Nadine Knight, Associate Professor, English
- Maia Lee-Chin, Student, Class of 2021
- Mable Millner, Associate Dean of Students for Diversity and Inclusion, Director of Multicultural Education
- Kelly O’Brien, Programs Coordinator, Office of the Registrar
- Lillian Puccia, Student, Class of 2019
- Cheryl Rogers, Assistant Director, Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Kelly Saintelus, Director of Academic Services and Learning Resources
- Brendan Sullivan, Interim Director of Athletics
- Manuel Trejo, Student, Class of 2019, Student Government Association Co-officer of Diversity
- Margaret Freije, ex officio, Provost and Dean of the College
- Michele Murray, ex officio, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Implementation Team
- DEI Implementation Team Report: February 2021 (PDF)
- DEI Implementation Team Report: September 2020 (PDF)
- DEI Implementation Team Report: February 2020 (PDF)
- Amit Taneja (Chair), Associate Provost for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Aaron Dashiell, Assistant Director of Athletics for Student Development
- Amie Archambault, Assistant Director - LGBTQIA+ Specialist, Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Bruce Bacon, Deputy Chief Human Resources Officer
- Derek DeBobes, Director of the Office of Title IX and Equal Opportunity
- Kasey Catlett, Director of the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Rev. Keith Maczkiewicz, S.J., Assistant Chaplain for Liturgy, Office of the College Chaplains
- Michelle Bata, Associate Dean for Student Engagement, Student Affairs
- Michelle Rosa Martins, Director of the Office of Multicultural Education
- Prof. Oliver De La Paz, Associate Professor of English
- Tom Cadigan '02, Associate Director of Alumni Relations