Information Technology Services and Environmental Services are pleased to offer “Data Destruction Day.” Every October, for a few hours, the College’s shredding partner, ProShred, is be stationed with their paper and hard drive shredding trucks in front of O’Kane on Linden Lane. The event is open to all Holy Cross students, faculty, and staff.
Bring in any paper items, old hard drives, floppy drives, thumb drives, CDs, DVDs, zip drives, audio tapes, and ProShred will physically destroy them onsite. As before, Environmental Services is sponsoring a container to recycle your computer and computer peripherals as well. ITS staff will once again emerge from the basement of various campus buildings to assist you with disassembling any old computers you might bring to get the hard drives out for safe disposal.
The previous events have resulted in thousands of pounds of hard drives and paper shredded. All materials destroyed are recycled where possible by ProShred. All computers and peripherals will also be recycled by Environmental Services.
Some ground rules:
- This event is open to Holy Cross Faculty, Students and Staff. Please bring your HC ID.
- Bring material from home if you’d like, but the College isn’t responsible if you lose it or it otherwise vanishes prior to destruction.
- Electronic media is limited to hard drives, flash/thumb drives, CD’s, DVD’s, floppy disks, tapes, and zip drives. If you have an old computer, we can help you remove the hard drive that day and Environmental Services will recycle the computer shell and the peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.). Strict limit of 1 monitor per computer.
- Get the necessary approvals before bringing materials for destruction. Emptying that filing cabinet may seem like a good idea, but make sure none of it is needed any longer. If in doubt, ask.
- Don’t leave anything you bring to the event unattended.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.