1. Readers are required to register upon their first visit to the College Archives. Please sign in on each subsequent visit. Registration forms will become part of the permanent record of the department.
2. All materials must be used in the Archives Reading Room.
3. Neither food nor drinks are allowed in the Reading Room.
4. All book bags and briefcases must be stored in the designated lockers or checked at the reception desk. All personal property brought into the reading room is subject to inspection upon leaving.
5. Readers must use pencil or a laptop computer for note taking. Pens, markers, and scanners may not be used in the Reading Room.
6. Care must be taken in handling all archived material. All items must lie flat on the tables. Nothing is to be placed on top of the material.
7. The original order of all material must be maintained. Do not rearrange collections. Please report any disarrangement to the staff.
8. Limited photocopying is available at 10 cents per page. The Archives reserves the right to limit copies made and to refuse to copy an item if such copying will damage the material. Copies of entire books, manuscript
collections or archival record groups are not made. We reserve the right to refuse to copy material which in our judgment would involve violation of copyright law.
9. Reproduction of photographs, videos or other audio visual material will be performed by the College. Please consult with the College Archivist concerning fees, time schedules, restrictions, etc.
10. Readers who wish to publish, reprint or reproduce materials in the collection must request permission in writing from the College Archivist. For publication of photographs, refer to the Photograph Publication Contract below.
1. Purchase of a photographic print does not carry with it the right to publish or to make a reproduction in any form. Researchers may not reproduce or permit others to reproduce purchased photographic copies without written permission from the College Archivist or Assistant Archivist. Photographic images for personal use do not require a contract. Any other use, such as publication or exhibition, requires specific written permission from the College Archivist or Assistant Archivist.
2. Permission is for non-exclusive, one-time use only, with no other rights. Permission is limited to the use and format as indicated by the applicant only, and excludes all other uses and formats. All subsequent use and reuse, in any form, must be applied for in writing.
3. Permission is valid only for the individual, company, or institution to whom it is specifically issued and may not be transferred, assigned, sold, or otherwise disposed of without prior written permission of the College Archivist or Assistant Archivist.
4. In authorizing the publication of a photographic copy the College does not surrender its own right to use the image, or to grant that right to others.
5. A credit line must appear directly beneath the image published or reproduced. Video and film credits must appear in the section devoted to acknowledgments. The proper citation for each image should read: "College of the Holy Cross Archives" or "College of the Holy Cross Special Collections" as appropriate.
6. One complimentary copy of any publication in which images from the College of the Holy Cross Archives and Special Collections appear shall be sent to the College of the Holy Cross Archives. This includes books, brochures, pamphlets, periodicals, exhibition catalogues, and other media.
7. Responsibility for observance of copyright and other publication rights, including literary rights, as defined by the Copyright Act of 1998, rests with the applicant and not with the College of the Holy Cross. The applicant shall indemnify and hold harmless the College of the Holy Cross and the contributing organizations against any and all claims by third parties.
8. College of the Holy Cross Archives & Special Collections reserves the right to charge for the use of materials as it deems appropriate in any individual case.
I/We herewith agree to the conditions specified above:
Name (sign) _____________________ Name (print)______________
Format & Title____________________________________________
Date of Publication ________________