Internships are an ideal way for students from liberal arts institutions to gain experience in the business world.
Internships provide work experience in industries specific to one’s career goals. The Center for Career Development posts hundreds of internship opportunities to all students through Handshake. You’ll find a variety of internship opportunities in a variety of fields, including advertising, finance, medicine, law, publishing research and social services, among others. Stop by their office in Hogan 203 to learn more — and check your inbox for weekly email updates!
In addition to the Center for Career Development, explore Holy Cross alumni as well as your own personal network for connections.
Internship Fast Facts
- Summer internships usually are 8-10 weeks in duration.
- Students typically work 30-40 hours/week.
- Internship roles are in a business function (finance, marketing, operations, etc.)
Depending on the Certificate Program and the internship experience required, please consider the following:
- General business interns are typically in an office setting handling various forms of communication, organization, reporting, data, outreach, marketing and sales. Interns gain professional insights to the various functions of business.
- Finance is a broad career field ranging from back office work (such as data analysis, budgeting, processing transactions) to client facing roles (such as insurance sales, financial advising and banking). This function is an integral part of all businesses, from nonprofits to hospitals and banks.
- Interns within a startup or in corporate innovation are typically on smaller teams where each member has a broad spectrum of responsibilities to develop plans to capitalize on high-potential ideas that directly support the company goals. Interns work in a fast-paced environment with potential for flexible hours.
Find an unpaid internship? Funding is available.
The Crusader Internship Fund is available through a number of specific funding sources. Students need not apply for individual funding sources. If awarded, staff will determine the most relevant source.
What Students Are Saying
“I wanted an internship in insurance to see what the industry was like. After this summer, I definitely want to look for a career in insurance. Acadia allowed me to see pretty much everything that goes on in the insurance world. This internship has allowed me to narrow down my choices to either actuarial sciences or underwriting.”
—Michael Gumbley ’12, Acadia Insurance
What Employers Are Saying
“Recruiting at the entry level is one of our company’s most formidable challenges, but, without exception, every Holy Cross intern we’ve had hit the ground running and immediately took on considerable responsibility. Having participated in the Holy Cross Summer Internship Program for nearly a decade, we can say with considerable authority that the school’s students are extremely well-rounded and are of the highest professional caliber.”
—Eric Starkman, Starkman, New York, NY