The first few weeks of college are exciting, joyous and memorable — but they also have the potential to be stressful. The Office of Student Involvement assists incoming students with their transition to college life at Holy Cross through a series of nationally recognized orientation programs. Over the course of the programs, you’ll experience the residential and academic environment on campus, gain a greater appreciation for the Jesuit, Catholic mission of the College, learn about educational opportunities and responsibilities, and begin to build friendships with your classmates.
All our orientations involve the collaboration of student leaders, faculty and staff members, who provide authentic insight into what you should expect of your Holy Cross experience.
- Summer Gateways Orientation, which is held over the course of two days in June, is open to all students and their families. Faculty and staff members conduct workshops, lead discussions, answer questions and give you and your parents an inside look at the academic, cocurricular and spiritual dimensions of life on The Hill. At the same time, orientation leaders facilitate group activities that introduce you to your new classmates and answer questions you may have about life on the Hill.
- Fall Gateways picks up where the summer program leaves off, with a greater emphasis on the residential aspect of your college experience. This four-day program extends from move-in day to the first day of classes, during which time student resident assistants and orientation leaders welcome new students and help them foster connections with their peers. Residence halls open to first-year students a day early, meaning you and your classmates have the campus to yourself to adjust.
- Odyssey orientation is a one-week summer orientation for multicultural and international students, as well as American students living abroad, first-generation college students, and students for whom English is their second language. This program includes workshops, discussion groups and trips around New England that immerse students in the academic and campus atmosphere unique to Holy Cross.
- Gateways International Students Orientation is offered free of charge and addresses many of the most pressing questions for incoming international students. In addition to introducing them to residential and academic life at Holy Cross, this program helps with important personal matters that include everything from setting up a bank account and purchasing a cell phone to identifying campus support services and understanding U.S. immigration requirements. This program is strongly recommended for all international students.
- Gateways Extended Orientation - Extended Orientation, also known as The Second Thoughts Series, continues through the fall semester for first-year and transfer students. RAs and Extended Orientation Leaders (EOL’s) coordinate programs and activities, but also meet with students to maintain personal contact. Reflective workshops, community builders, and casual gatherings are a few examples of how students are invited to stay connected.
- Gateways Orientation for Transfer Students