Some of the country’s most dedicated scholars find a home at Holy Cross — a place where they can explore new intellectual terrain and bring their students along for the journey. They serve as inspiring mentors and insightful guides, transforming lives in and out of the classroom through their expertise, wisdom and humanity.
Our faculty members come to Holy Cross from the top graduate programs in the country, bringing with them a deep devotion to teaching and scholarship. Here, they continue their pursuits by publishing their work and pursuing forward-thinking research projects. Our students’ success reflects the achievements and dedication of these outstanding scholars.
- 96 percent of Holy Cross professors hold doctoral degrees.
- Our faculty includes a MacArthur Foundation “genius grant” recipient, several bestselling authors and four Guggenheim Fellows.
- Numerous faculty members have received research grants from the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and many other foundations and granting agencies.
- Holy Cross was ranked ninth on The Princeton Review’s list of schools with the most accessible professors.
- Our 10:1 student to faculty ratio is among the best in the country, and all our courses are taught by faculty members (never teaching assistants).
- Our faculty members frequently offer expert commentary in the media regarding issues of the day; display their artwork in galleries and museums around the country; and debut new music and theater productions throughout the world.
Our professors continually strive to find new ways to bring complex theories and provocative ideas to life. They bring cutting-edge innovation to the classroom with the support of Holy Cross’ Center for Teaching. Emerging technologies, the principles of experiential learning and the needs, interests, passions and talents of our students all exert an influence on what faculty members teach and how they teach it.
Distinguished scholars choose Holy Cross for the opportunity to teach and engage with our hardworking students. Because ours is an undergraduate-only institution, opportunities for professors and students to work in close collaboration abound through robust research programs. They come to know and respect one another as individuals, and form personal and professionals bonds in the process. Faculty members go the extra mile in a multitude of ways — from offering extended office hours to arranging special dinner parties.