Vincent D. Rougeau, a transformative leader and nationally respected expert in legal education and Catholic social thought, was installed as the first lay and Black president of Holy Cross on Oct. 22, 2021.
“Jesuit values enable us to be agile learners, capable of interrogating truths, and uncovering predispositions and biases. At Holy Cross, we accept that our world is knotty and imperfect. We believe that the best preparation for the challenges of the 21st century is a broad liberal education rooted in discovery, and amplified by our Catholic intellectual traditions.” — President Rougeau
Vincent D. Rougeau was installed as Holy Cross’ 33rd president in a ceremony punctuated by inspirational words and feelings of excitement and hopefulness.
Read a few of the speeches delivered during the Ceremony of Presidential Installation and Inauguration Mass.
Letters and Greetings
President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, Rep. Jim McGovern, college presidents and other dignitaries from across the country sent well wishes to President Rougeau for his inauguration.
Relive the three-day celebration of the College's 33rd president and the events that surrounded his installation as Holy Cross' first lay leader. From faculty symposium to fireworks, dive into the photos and words that accompanied three historic days in October 2021.
- Telegram & Gazette, Oct. 22: Vincent D. Rougeau inaugurated as first Black and lay president at College of the Holy Cross
- Spectrum News, Oct. 22: Holy Cross celebrates inauguration of 33rd president Vincent Rougeau
- WBUR-FM (Boston, MA), Oct. 22 (no link)
- WRKO-AM 680 - The Voice of Boston, Oct. 23 (no link)
- WBZ 1030 News Radio, Oct. 23: Holy Cross Installs First Black, Lay President In School History
- MassLive.com, Oct. 23: Vincent D. Rougeau installed as 33rd president of College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, institution’s first Black president
- The Grio, Oct. 23: Vincent D. Rougeau installed as first Black president of the College of the Holy Cross
- Worcester Business Journal, Oct. 25: Holy Cross inaugurates first lay, Black president
- Face2Face Africa, Oct. 25: History made as Black American becomes president of this Worcester college after nearly 180 years
- Because of Them We Can, Oct. 26: He's Made History As the First Black President of the College of the Holy Cross in Its Nearly 180 Year History
- The Pilot, Oct. 29: Holy Cross celebrates inauguration of new president
- The Catholic Free Press, Oct. 29: Holy Cross celebrates installation of 33rd president
- Reuters, Dec. 8: More U.S. colleges turn to law schools to find their next president
President Rougeau, who previously served as dean of the Boston College Law School, has written extensively on law and religions with a particular focus on Catholic social teaching and the law.