Students from around the globe enrich the Holy Cross community as they share their experiences and develop their talents. The international student advisor oversees the F-1 visa program and the successful transition of students from the first year through graduation and beyond: obtaining a visa and arriving in the United States, engaging in campus life, navigating the curriculum, traveling during the semester, pursuing practical training, and preparing for jobs or graduate school in the United States.
The Office of International Students is first and foremost a welcoming place for all visa students. Through receptions, personal conversations, and workshops the international student advisor promotes students’ success and engagement.
The advisor provides a wide range of services and connections to helpful resources across campus.
- Forms I-20 and Transfer-In forms for new students
- Guidance on maintaining F-1 visa status (including annual filing of U.S. tax forms)
- SEVIS record updates, term registration, and travel signatures to keep the Form I-20 current
- Academic advising for course selection, clarifying curricular interests, declaring a major
- Certification to work on campus and apply for a U.S. social security number
- Verification of housing extensions (on a case-by-case basis)
- Advising and authorization for Curricular Practical Training
- Extending your F-1 visa status
- Support for the STEM-OPT extension
Christina Bi Chen
Office: Fenwick 204