A place for stillness, reflection, and prayer, the Thomas P. Joyce ’59 Contemplative Center is the home of our spiritual retreats whose purpose is to help members of the Holy Cross community deepen their relationship with God and grow in self-knowledge and interior freedom.
Our retreats are fundamental to the mission of the College in teaching the art of Ignatian discernment and in fostering a commitment to the service of faith and the promotion of justice. In offering a vibrant retreat program we hope that all members of the Holy Cross community will become more deeply grounded in the experience of God’s enduring love for each of us, so that we may look to use our gifts and talents in the service of the neighbor.
The chaplains invite students, faculty, staff and alumni of all faith traditions and beliefs to participate in the programs at the center.
- The Spiritual Exercises, a five-day silent retreat based on the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola
- Manresa, a student-led weekend retreat
- Escape retreat for first-year students
- retreat for LGBTQIA+ students and alumni
- athletic team evenings of reflection
- Montserrat class evenings of contemplation
- “Eat, Pray, Study” retreat during finals study period
- faculty and staff meditation retreats
- Ignatian Alumni Weekend
- many other evening, day, and weekend opportunities for prayer and reflection
Students and alumni frequently cite their participation in retreats as one of the highlights of their Holy Cross experience. Indeed, the retreat experience is one of the primary aspects of Holy Cross life that sets us apart.
Situated on a 52-acre parcel of land in West Boylston, Mass., just 20 minutes from campus, the Joyce Contemplative Center overlooks breathtaking views of the Wachusett Reservoir. The building includes a chapel, meeting rooms, dining room, and bedrooms for 60 individuals.
Explore the Contemplative Center in 360º and VR