Distinguished Professor of Humanities
Fields: Comparative law; Chinese legal history; Vietnamese history; Women and war; Law and human rights in Asia; Comparative empires
• CV (PDF) »
- Elite Formation in Rome and Han China,” in State Formation in China and Rome (Oxford U. Press, forthcoming).
- “Law, Bureaucrats and Imperial Women in Early China,” in Law and Empire (Brill, 2013).
- “Law and Punishment in the Formation of Empire,” in Rome and China: Comparative Perspectives on Ancient World Empires, ed. Walter Scheidel (Oxford University Press), 2009
- Even the Women Must Fight: Memories of War from North Vietnam (Wiley 1998)
- The Limits of the Rule of Law in China (U. Washington, 2000)
- American Perspectives on Chinese Law (in Chinese) (Chinese University of Law and Politics, 1994)
- China Bound: A Guide to Life and Work in China (National Academy of Sciences Press, 1984 with several reprints)
- Articles on comparative legal history, early Chinese law, women and war, and women veterans in Vietnam in journals such as Early China, Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies, Journal of Chinese Law, University of British Columbia Law Review, Cultural Dynamics and many collections on China and Vietnam
- Documentary films produced and directed include Hidden Warriors: Voices from the Ho Chi Minh Trail shown in over forty venues including juried festivals and the Harvard Archive.