Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Program
Director: Ara Francis
Associate Director of Concentrations: Susan Cunningham
Academic administrative assistant: Karen Todd
Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Mission
Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies is an interdisciplinary academic concentration that uses gender and sexuality as central frameworks for exploration, analysis, and action. The program affirms the commitment among its students and faculty to promote social justice and deconstruct assumptions about gender and sexuality that reproduce inequality.
Guiding Intellectual Principles
- We respect the intrinsic dignity of all people.
- We honor our history in Women’s Studies and indebtedness to feminist methods and theories.
- We embrace diverse pedagogical approaches that deconstruct binaries and bring marginalized experiences and perspectives to the center of inquiry and analysis.
- We commit to shared exploration and investigation of interdisciplinarity, intersectionality, and transnationality.
- We interrogate power at personal, interpersonal, social, and structural levels.
- We engage in pluralistic dialogue and collaborative decision making that is respectful of difference.
- Discernment: Whose voices are least likely to be heard and how might we dismantle the power structures that silence them?
- Equity: How might we transform unjust social relations that are personal and political, local and global?
- Empowerment: How might students and faculty personalize activism in relation to our own interests, talents, and social location?
- Solidarity: How might we ally with affinity academic programs, student organizations, and other college initiatives?