The Holy Cross Physicians Association (HCPA) serves as the primary organization connecting alumni physicians with the greater Holy Cross community.
The HCPA facilitates lifelong learning, professional networking and mentorship opportunities. The group upholds the Jesuit tradition through the steadfast pursuit of excellence and dedicated service to those in need. Specifically, the HCPA:
- Serves as a forum for alumni physicians to exchange ideas pertaining to the practical, intellectual and ethical challenges with the field of medicine
- Enhances pre-healthcare education through lasting, collaborative relationships between alumni physicians, faculty and students
- Offers support and mentorship to current students or graduates in pursuit of admission to medical, osteopathic and other allied health schools
- Strengthens the reputation of Holy Cross by recognizing the outstanding and lasting accomplishments graduates within the medical field
We all know that the life of a physician is incredibly busy. To become a general member of the HCPA requires minimal time commitment. If you are at a point in your career which affords a bit more time, consider a spot on the HCPA Board of Directors or on a planning committee.
We need you! Share your ideas. Express appreciation for your alma mater and help shape the future cadre of Holy Cross physicians. Become an engaged member of the HCPA today.
- Join the group by registering online >>
- Join the private listserv to connect with fellow physician alumni, seek and receive consultation regarding general and specific medical issues. To join, email Mike Dubik at email@example.com.
- Connect with the Health Professions Advising Program >>
Gap Year Webinar Series
Outstanding individuals (or groups) and their work are recognized through three types of awards:
Lifetime Achievement- Recognizing an exemplary career.
2023 Recipient: Charles J. Coté, M.D. '68, P98, 96
2022 Recipient: Mike McGrath '63
Distinguished Service- Recognizing outstanding achievement.
2023 Recipient: Professor Kenneth N. Prestwich, PhD
2022 Recipient: James Collins '87
Hall of Honor- Recognizing the outstanding achievements and careers of those who came before us.
Awardees will be physicians or other contributors to medicine.
Awardees will be members of the Holy Cross community.
The work of the individual or group must be in keeping with the Jesuit tradition of service for and with others and bring esteem to the College.
Nominations are open through mid-spring.
Award recipients will be announced in early summer 2023.
Awards will be presented during Fall Homecoming on September 23, 2023.
Submit a Nomination:
- Nominations are currently closed.
- Mentorship: We hope to create one on one mentorship programs and formalize shadowing experiences for students, in collaboration with the pre-health advisory faculty.
- Professional Development: We envision lectures on general medical topics by a distinguished alumnus/a once a semester for CME.
- Recognition: We will highlight accomplishment by HC physician graduates and create an annual award recognizing an individual alumni physician who has made an invaluable contribution to the field of medicine.
Webinar: Overcoming Physician Burnout
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
John D. Kelly, IV, MD, Director of Shoulder Surgery and Codirector Sports Medicine Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
Debra Doroni '89, Principle at Debra Doroni Leadership Partners LLC; 25 years of experience in private practice, health system and academic physician coaching
Kirk Pinto, MD '84, Director of Pediatric Urology and Physician Wellness, Cook Children’s Hospital
Michael Sullivan, MD '89, Chief Medical Officer, Covenant Health
Louis McIntyre, MD '80, Chief Quality Officer, US Orthopedic Partners
|Holy Cross Physicians in Uniform||February 8, 2023||Hosted by Mike Dubik, MD '78. Features stories from various alumni in uniform. (Passcode: K&ZVsp92)|
|2022 Awards Ceremony Dinner||September 17, 2022||Recorded by Mike Dubik, MD '78, President of HCPA. Features stories from Mike McGrath, PhD '63. (Passcode: 297bL&VW)|
|2022 Awards Ceremony||September 17, 2022||
Hall of Honor Awards: Joseph Murray, MD '40* (Inducted by Stephen Lahey, MD '71), John Potter, MD '47* (Inducted by Robert Pollard, MD ‘80), William Nolen, MD '49* (Inducted by William Hennrikus, MD ‘78)
Distinguished Service Award: James Collins, PhD '87 (Inducted by Frank Vellaccio, PhD P14, 07, 97)
Lifetime Achievement Award: Mike McGrath, PhD '63 (Inducted by Michael Hallisey, MD '82)
|Fall 2022 Homecoming Presentations||September 17, 2022||
Helen Boucher, MD '86, Tufts University School of Medicine & Holy Cross Board of Trustees: "Antimicrobial Resistance: The Silent Pandemic"
Brian Busconi, MD P24, 21, UMass Memorial Medical Center College of the Holy Cross: "Sports Medicine at Holy Cross 2022"
Robert Klein, MD '73, P08, 05, Hofstra School of Medicine: "Why a Gap Year(s)? How can we help?"
|Gap Year Experiences||April 21, 2022||
Facilitator: Cristin Colford, MD, Class of 1996
Panelists:Haylie Butler '17, MS2, Harvard SOM (Gap: Fulbright in Spain, Boston Healthcare for Homeless); Anthony Criscitiello '17, MS4, Wake Forest University SOM, (Gap: Research Assistant, UNC); Kira Niederhoffer '16, MS3, Duke University SOM, (Gap: Research Tech, MGH); Cecelia Plaehn '16, MS3, Creighton University SOM (Gap: JVC, Mental Health Counselor); Katie Trymbulak '18, MS2, Netter SOM at Quinnipiac University (Gap: CRC/CRA at UMass); Miles Cahill, PhD, Holy Cross Health Professions Advisor
|Global Health Experiences||February 23, 2022||Donna LaFontaine '18, Warren Alpert School of Medicine; William Hennrikus '78, Penn State College of Medicine/ Tim Tebow CURE hospital, Davao, Philippines; Robert (Bob) Ferris '92, United States Agency for International Development (USAID)|
|Fall 2021 Homecoming Presentations||October 2, 2021||Marcus Stoddard, MD '78, University of Louisville; Louis McIntyre, MD '80, US Orthopedic Partners; Mary-Jane Staba Hogan, MD, MPH '86, Yale School of Medicine; Mike Dubik, MD '78, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth|
|About HC Health Professions Advising||April 14, 2021||Dr. Miles Cahill, Health Professions Advisor and Chair of Committee|
Karen Heveron Bagdonas ’90
James Berlanti '79
James Bourgeois '78
Cristin Colford ’96
Steve Fox '78
James Hinsdale '71
Mary-Jane Hogan ’86
Christopher Morin ’70
Keith Muccino '74
Richard Palu ’76
Robert Pollard ’80
Marcus Stoddard ’78
William Tosches ’67
The Office of Alumni Relations is eager to help plan HCPA activities and serve as liaison between the HCPA and the Holy Cross administration.
For more information, please contact Maura Sweeney, Director of Alumni Career & Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-793-2418.