Fields: Nineteenth-century U.S. urban; ethnic; and political history; Irish American experience; Public history
• Edward T. O'Donnell.com»
- Henry George and the Crisis of Inequality: Progress and Poverty in the Gilded Age (Columbia University Press. 2015)
- (as co-author) the U.S. History college-level textbook, Visions of America: A History of the United States 3rd edition (Pearson, 2016)
- Ship Ablaze: The Tragedy of the Steamboat General Slocum (Random House, 2003)
- 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Irish American History (Random House, 2002).
- His scholarly articles have appeared in the Public Historian, Journal of Urban History, and the Journal of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era.
- History podcast, In The Past Lane (launched January 2016): The podcast focuses on topics in American history. Each episode features interviews with historians about their latest books, reviews of history-related films, discussions of history in the news, and more. More info about the podcast can be found at www.InThePastLane.com or iTunes, http://apple.co/1UBr3yD.
- Museum Exhibitions: O’Donnell also has curated several major museum exhibits on American history and appeared in several historical documentaries (see c.v.)
- Historical insight and commentary: for media outlets such as PBS, Discovery Channel, History Channel, National Public Radio, and the New York Times.
- Op-Eds: his history-related op-eds have appeared in publications such as Newsweek, Huffington Post, Cognoscenti, and the New York Daily News. O’Donnell has also provided research and consultation to the writers at the Daily Show (Comedy Central).
Courses Taught at Holy Cross
- American Themes: Struggles for Justice
- American Themes: Teddy Roosevelt’s America
- Montserrat: Competing Visions of Freedom
- Montserrat: Struggles for Justice
- The Irish American Experience
- America in the Gilded Age
- The American War of War (seminar)
- The Historian’s Craft