Housing Accommodations

Residential living is central to the learning environment for all Holy Cross students. Holy Cross is committed to providing reasonable residential accommodations to students who qualify. The housing accommodation process is intended to be a fair and effective means to address housing needs that likely cannot be met through the general Housing Selection Process.

exterior view of Loyola Hall

Housing accommodations are based on disability-related need. Requests for particular housing assignments which are based on student preference, rather than need, such as a specific type of living environment, specific building location, specific roommates, or a quiet place to study will not be honored.

Please note that the Office of Student Accessibility Services does not assign specific housing locations. We validate the need for and determine the housing accommodation(s) necessary for accessibility and make the recommendation to the Office of Residential Life, who then determines the location where the accommodation will be met.

A student seeking housing accommodation for a medical reason or a disability, including a request for an Emotional Support Animal, should submit documentation to the Office of Student Accessibility Services to initiate the interactive process in advance of the deadlines below. A simple request letter from a practitioner may be insufficient to support accommodation. Please refer to documentation guidelines for more specific criteria. 

Housing Accommodation Deadlines

If you are a student with a diagnosed disability and would like to apply for Housing accommodations for the 2024-2025 academic year, the deadline for formally requesting Housing accommodations through the Office of Student Accessibility Services is by your class year deadline (see below).  If you do not meet this deadline (Accommodate request and complete documentation), submitted housing requests that are received after this date and approved may not be able to be granted for the 2024-2025 academic year since the availability for certain types of accommodations may be limited post-deadlines

Type Deadline
Returning students Friday, February 16, 2024
Incoming First-Year students Friday, June 28, 2024

Transfer students should submit their request soon after acceptance.

Deadlines for current students seeking housing for the following academic year are advertised during the spring semester through the Residential Life website and in email announcements to students. These deadlines take place prior to the general housing selection process.

If a housing accommodation need arises outside of the above timelines, students should follow the same request process. The Offices of Student Accessibility Services and Residential Life will make every attempt to implement approved accommodation(s) based on availability. Availability for certain types of accommodations may be limited post deadlines and at later points in the year. Students who are requesting housing accommodations during the Housing Selection Process should follow the standard selection process protocol to avoid random placement in the event the accommodation is not approved.

Back to top

Requesting an Emotional Support Animal

To request an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), contact the Office of Accessibility Services to begin the interactive process.

Students requesting an ESA must submit qualifying documentation that meets the documentation guidelines by the housing deadline. Documentation for ESAs must also include:

  • A completed practitioner form explaining how the animal serves as an accommodation for the documented disability
  • A statement regarding how the need for the Assistance Animal relates to the ability of the individual to use and gain benefit from College housing.

Students who are requesting an Emotional Assistance Animal are encouraged to review the Service Animal and Assistance Animal Policy (PDF) and specific documentation guidelines. Please contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services for the required practitioner form if you are otherwise unable to access it.

Back to top

Personal Care Attendants

Students with documented disabilities who have a required need for assistance with activities of daily living and/or nursing care within a residential setting are permitted to retain the services of a Personal Care Attendant (PCA).

A Personal Care Attendant (PCA) is defined as a paid, employed individual who provides personal care/assistance (chronic or temporary) to a student with a disability, or other health care needs with activities of daily living, including nursing services not administered through the College Health Services or assistance with normal life functions.

A Personal Care Attendant is considered a personal service, therefore students with disabilities who require a PCA are responsible for all arrangements pertaining to hiring, paying, and managing their own PCAs. The College does not assume coordination of, financial responsibility for, or legal liability for the PCA chosen and hired by the student.

To protect the privacy interests of men and women in the College's residence halls, PCAs who are the same gender and/or gender identity is required when assisting students in shared single-sex restrooms or other shared rooms in which students may be undressed or exposed.

Student Responsibilities PCA Responsibilities
Initiate the accommodation request process by submitting appropriate documentation to the Office of Student Accessibility Services. Follow all applicable Holy Cross policies, rules, regulations, and procedures. A PCA found in violation of College policies will be removed from campus immediately regardless of the contractual arrangement the PCA has with the student.
Secure an agency-affiliated, or private, certified PCA and provide documentation that the PCA is qualified to perform the service. Refrain from intervening in conversations between the student and faculty, staff or other students.
Provide a copy of the contract between the student and the agency/PCA to the Office of Student Accessibility Services. The PCA should not be involved with the student’s work related to any class assignments or tests.
Create a proactive plan for PCA relief coverage if/when your regular PCAs are not available to work. If living in a residence hall, the PCA must provide evidence of medical/immunization clearances to the Office of Student Accessibility Services.
The student (and if different, the employer of the PCA) must certify that they have conducted a thorough criminal background and sexual offender registry checks on any PCA who will work on any College-owned or leased property with no finding that would bear adversely upon the PCA’s ability to provide services privately and safely in the College community, including, but not limited to, residential housing and other private settings, as applicable.  

Back to top​​


Incidents of non-compliance in adhering to the policies set forth by the College of the Holy Cross either by the student or his/her PCA will be subject to review as follows:

Informal Review

As appropriate, representatives from the Office of Residence Life, Disability  Services, Department of Public Safety and/or other appropriate Departments will meet with the student to discuss the issue of non-compliance and work with the student to determine possible solutions. A written report of the resolution will be given to the student within five working days of completion of the informal investigation.

Formal Review

As appropriate, representatives from the Office of Residence Life, Office of Accessibility Services, Department of Public Safety and/or other appropriate Departments will convene a formal review of the concern. The formal review may also include other college representatives, such as representatives from the Division of Student Affairs or the Office of the Provost. Sanctions may be determined if the student is found responsible for the matter under review. These could include, for example, the PCA no longer be permitted on College property, a probationary period to correct the matter under review, or the removal of the student from College housing. A written report of the resolution will be given to the student within five working days of completion of the formal investigation.


A student may appeal a decision made from the Formal Review by following the Grievance Procedure

Back to top