Step 1: Activating Your Network Account
An email with important instructions regarding your network account will be sent late May to the email account used to apply to Holy Cross. Instructions will walk you through the process activating your network and Gmail accounts. If you cannot locate the email, check your spam folder. If unable to locate it, contact the ITS Help Desk using Helpdesk-Request@holycross.edu and another activation email will be initiated.
These accounts must be activated in order to complete the important tasks listed on the Forms and Action Due Dates listed in the First Year Student Guide.
Your new network account will provide access to campus lab computers, WiFi, and important applications such as STAR and Moodle. Your network username and passphrase are also needed in order to create your new Gmail account passphrase. It is very important that you enroll in our Passphrase Reset Service. This service allows you to change your passphrase, reset a forgotten passphrase.
Step 2: Activating Your Gmail Account
- Instructions for Setting up Your Gmail Account
- Please note, you will be required to setup 2-step verification. This must be completed within 30 days, otherwise your account will be locked.
First-Year Student Guide
The First Year Guide is available at https://www.holycross.edu/firstyearguide. Please review this guide, there is important information regarding Holy Cross.
This year the Bookstore will not be selling laptops. Students are welcome to bring any type laptop or computer to campus. We offer support on Apple Mac, Windows 10, and Chromebook laptops. WiFi is accessible across the campus, including wired LAN connections for desktops in residence halls. Each room is fitted with purple LAN port connections.
The ITS Help Desk is available to troubleshoot any device brought to campus. We support Apple devices, while we cannot repair hardware issues, we will troubleshoot and make recommendations as needed. ITS Help Desk staff are certified for Dell and HP repairs, if required Dell and HP technicians will perform repairs at the Help Desk, providing the warranty purchased is "Onsite Support".
Here are a few recommendations when purchasing or preparing to bring a laptop to campus:
- Minimum hardware Core i5, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD hard drive, running Windows 10
- MacOS - Macbook - Core i5, 8GB of RAM, 256GB SSD hard drive, Mac operating system should be 10.14 or newer
- Chromebooks - We currently use the ASUS Chromebook Flip C434TA model on campus, these work very well
- Dell and HP offer a 4 year accidental warranty. We highly recommend this type of warranty due to potential spill damage that occurs each year.
- Mac hardware repairs can be performed by a third party company offsite. The Apple certified technicians can repair hardware that is on warranty and off-warranty. Some fees may apply. We recommend getting an extended Apple Care Plus plan for your mac, which covers limited accidental damage. For more information please see https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac/
- If you need Dell or HP to service your computer, we can arrange for a onsite service location.
- Local repair vendors available for hardware support
Laptop Loaner Program
- We have a limited number of loaner laptops available. To request a loaner, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update all software operating system patches for both Windows and Mac operating systems
- We recommend the Chrome browser download and FireFox ESR browser download
- Malwarebytes for Windows https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/ Free version
- Malwarebytes for Mac https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
- Windows 10 Defender works well for antivirus
- Mac OS antivirus https://home.sophos.com/en-us/download-mac-anti-virus.aspx
- Microsoft Office - NO need to purchase, all students have access to Office 365 for free https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/education/products/office Simply login using your HC email account and your Network passphrase. Available for Mac, Windows and Chrome devices.
Microsoft Office for Students
Microsoft Office 2016 software is available for download through the Office 365 portal.
NOTE: First year students must login using their HC email address and network passphrase (Star) to login to the Office portal.
All other students use the following steps:
To start the process, visit the link https://products.office.com/en-US/student and enter your Holy Cross email address and select Student. Using the link in the activation email titled, “Finish signing up for Office 365 Education”, fill in the information to create your account and select a password. Login to access the “Install Office 2016” download link.
Please note, your Holy Cross subscription is free while enrolled at the College. Unlike Google Docs for Education, Office 2016 and any files saved in Office 365 will be disabled upon graduation.
YouTube Video Library
Activating your Holy Cross Network and Gmail Accounts
Information about the ITS Department and Getting Assistance
Online at Holy Cross - Information about Student Technology
Introduction to STAR
Campus Technology Information
- First year student technology tip sheet
- First Year Student FAQ
- IT Policies for Students
- Cable TV Information
- Chat available between 8am and 5pm Monday through Friday https://www.holycross.edu/its-help-desk
- Our phone number 508-793-3548 - Open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday
- Remote Service is available upon request
- General Email HelpDesk@holycross.edu
- Use email@example.com to submit a ticket to the ITS Help Desk ticket system, send an email with a description of your issue. Please do not send any sensitive, protected information or passwords.