Steps to Studying Abroad
STEP 1: URGENT, TAKE NOTICE: If you do not currently have a passport, you need to apply for one now. Current processing times are 8-11 weeks. Even if you aren't 100% certain that you are going to study abroad you need to apply NOW to put yourself in a position to go. You must renew your passport if it will expire before December of your senior year. You may renew by mail but expect to experience delays. Valid passport copies are due to your Study Abroad online application by 3 February 2023. For passport information, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
STEP 2: Attend the Study Abroad General Information Session: Tuesday, 6 September 2022 at 6:00 PM in Seelos Theatre
STEP 3: Attend the Study Abroad Fair: Wednesday, 7 September 2022 from 4:30 - 6:00 PM in the Hogan Ballroom. Students who studied abroad last year (returnees) will share their experiences, photos, memorabilia, and answer any questions you may have. Learn from fellow students what the study abroad experience is all about!
- Research available programs: Go to https://sa.holycross.edu and click on Program Search in the left-hand navigation column.
- Attend country-specific Study Abroad information sessions scheduled throughout September and October.
- Check out our YouTube channel to view recorded Study Abroad information sessions as they become available.
- Make an appointment to speak with the Study Abroad director of the program or programs that interest you. The director's name and contact information is located at the bottom of the brochure page for each program in the online application system. You can make an appointment using the online appointment system on the Meet Our Staff/Contact Info tab on https://sa.holycross.edu.
- Interested in a foreign language program? You will need to make an appointment with a language faculty advisor (denoted by an * on the Department Chair and Study Abroad Advisor list) and have him/her sign the Certification of Advising with Language Faculty (CALF) form which the language faculty advisor will submit to Study Abroad before the application deadline of Sunday, 13 November 2022.
- Decide on your first choice program (you may select an alternate/backup program) based on your interests, academic goals and eligibility.
STEP 5: Meet with a Study Abroad Ambassador. A number of students who have returned from studying abroad last year have volunteered to be Study Abroad Ambassadors. Get in touch with these ambassadors and take advantage of their experience!
STEP 6: Talk to your study abroad academic advisor before making a program choice. Consult with your major, minor or concentration advisor and the study abroad advisor in your academic major department.
STEP 7: Complete your application essay: Work with your advisor and a Study Abroad director to develop your goals and priorities for your coursework, co- and extra-curricular activities abroad. The course choices, as well as your goals, will comprise your application essay for your first choice program. Should you change programs, we will ask you to revise your essay based on the new program.
STEP 8: Submit your online application: Once you have determined your program choice, go to https://sa.holycross.edu to apply. The Apply Now link is available on every program brochure page as well as under the Application Procedure tab on the left-side navigation column. You are applying for ONE program only - you have the option of selecting an alternate/backup program, but please, one application only. If you are applying for two different semester programs (one in the fall and one in the spring), you may open two applications, one in each term.
Applications for all academic year and semester programs open on Friday, 9 September 2022 and will close at midnight on Sunday, 20 November 2022.
Study Abroad Staff
Jennifer Summerhays - Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 219
Piper O'Sullivan - Assistant Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 218
Assistant Director - TBA
Office: Smith Hall, Room 217
Emma Meade - Assistant Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 213
Tammi Valeri - Budget & Billing Coordinator
Office: Smith Hall, Room 214
Jacqui Schartner - Office Coordinator
Office: Smith Hall, Room 216 (Study Abroad Office)
FAX #: 508-793-3676
Independent Cultural Immersion Project
Economics, Math, and Science Majors and Students Interested in Health Professions
Financial Aid, Costs and Money Matters