STEPS TO STUDYING ABROAD
STEP 1: URGENT, TAKE NOTICE: If you do not currently have a passport, you need to apply for one NOW. Owing to COVID-19, there are long delays in receiving your passport. If you are applying for a new passport, you will need to make an appointment in person at a passport processing center. Do NOT proscratinate - even if you aren't 100% certain that you are going to study abroad you need to apply now to put yourself in a position to go. You must renew your passport if it will expire before December of your senior year. You may renew by mail but expect to experience delays. Valid passport copies are due to your Study Abroad online application by February 1, 2021. For passport information, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
STEP 2: Attend the virtual Study Abroad General Information Session: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Watch recorded webinar here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZpc3f48nGKux323JOiXhUZqfYs1y3ib0
STEP 3: Attend the virtual Study Abroad Fair: Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM
Students who studied abroad last year (returnees) will share their experiences, photos, memorabilia, and answer any questions you may have. Learn from fellow students what study abroad is all about!
STEP 4: Research available programs: Go to https://sa.holycross.edu and click on Program Search in the left-hand navigation column.
- Attend the Study Abroad Town Hall on Friday, September 18th from noon - 2:00 PM. This will be an informal session that will allow attendees to ask questions regarding all aspects of studying abroad. Please register in advance using the following link: https://holycross.zoom.us/
webinar/register/WN_ Gm0LzmJVTVW_zIPc1tK61Q. If you would like to submit questions ahead of time, please email your questions to email@example.com.
- Attend virtual country-specific Study Abroad information sessions scheduled throughout September and October.
- Check out our YouTube channel to view recorded Study Abroad information sessions!
- Make an appointment to speak with the Study Abroad director of the program or programs that interest you. The director's name and contact information is located at the bottom of the brochure page for each program in the online application system. You can make an appointment using the online appointment system on the Meet Our Staff/Contact Info tab on https://sa.holycross.edu.
- Interested in studying in a foreign language country? You will need to make an appointment with your language professor and have him/her sign the Certification of Advising with Language Faculty (CALF) form which your language faculty adviser will submit to Study Abroad before the application deadline of Friday, Noveber 6, 2020.
- Decide on your first choice program (you may select an alternate/backup program) based on your interests, academic goals and eligibility.
STEP 5: Meet with a Study Abroad Ambassador. A number of students who have returned from studying abroad last year have volunteered to be Study Abroad Ambassadors. Get in touch with these ambassadors and take advantage of their experience!
STEP 6: Talk to your academic advisor before making a program choice. Consult with your major, minor or concentration advisor and the study abroad advisor in your academic department. 2020-2021 Department Chairs and Study Abroad Advisors
STEP 7: Complete your application essay: Work with your advisor and a Study Abroad director to develop your goals and priorities for your coursework, co- and extra-curricular activities abroad. The course choices, as well as your goals, will comprise your application essay for your first choice program. The application is a first draft and a process we work through together. Although the application process is competitive, we want all students to study abroad!
STEP 8: Submit your online application: Once you have determined your program choice, go to https://sa.holycross.edu to apply. The Apply Now link is available on every program brochure page as well as under the Application Procedure tab on the left-side navigation column. You are applying for ONE program only - you have the option of selecting an alternate/backup program, but please, one application only. If you are applying for two different semester programs (one in the fall and one in the spring), you may open two applications, one in each term.
Applications for all academic year and semester programs open on Friday, September 11, 2020 and close on Friday, November 6, 2020. Get started soon!
STUDY ABROAD STAFF
Prof. Brit Smith, Director of Study Abroad
Office: Smith Hall, Room 219
Jimena Collingwood, Assistant Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 217
Piper O'Sulllivan, Assistant Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 218
Christopher Van Booven, Assistant Director
Office: Smith Hall, Room 213
Tammi Valeri, Budget & Billing Coordinator
Office: Smith Hall, Room 214
Jacqui Schartner, Office Coordinator
Office: Smith Hall, Room 216 (Study Abroad Office)
FAX #: 508-793-3676