You are here

Student FAQs


I've been written up by my RA, or Public Safety, what should I do?

Reports involving students are forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards for review.  If there is an allegation of misconduct, students will receive written notification for a meeting with a staff member from  the Office of Residence Life, or Student Conduct.  This notification will include the alleged violation, location and date of violation and time and place for a meeting to discuss the incident.  During this meeting students have an opportunity to present their version of events. After a review of the facts, a decision will be rendered about a student’s responsibility.


Will I have a record? What will be on my record/transcript?

All students’ discipline files are maintained until a student successfully completes their degree requirements. Exceptions include cases that are pending or open when the student leaves the college, or of students, who were suspended, expelled or dismissed from the college. Under these circumstances, the files will be maintained for a period of seven years, from the student’s original expected graduation date.

Violations of College Probation and higher will be reported on Dean’s Certificates or other disciplinary checks, prior to degree completion. A record of College Probation may impact a student’s ability to participate in various activities or roles on campus. These may include serving as a resident assistant, student government officer, orientation leader, judicial board member, or other leadership role.  Students who have been placed on probation may also be excluded from participating in the study abroad program. Such a record may also be reported on law and graduate school applications, transfer forms, and in some instances, job applications, particularly for federal or state positions.



Can I have an attorney?

Holy Cross officials involved in the disciplinary system will only discuss procedural matters with attorneys.  All other questions or concerns (written or verbal) will be referred directly to the Office of the General Counsel. All substantive questions, concerns, or comments concerning student discipline, as well as any written correspondence, including the filing of an appeal, must come directly from the student or students involved. Attorneys may not attend any disciplinary hearings or conferences.