You are here

Parent FAQs

How can I talk with my child about alcohol?

The Colleges of the Worcester Consortium have developed an informational guide for parents on this issue, titled Alcohol on Campus: A Message to Parents.

What are the most common violations?

Violations of the College’s Alcohol Policy are the most frequent violations.  These violations range from excessive consumption of alcohol for those 21 and older, to underage possession of alcohol, attendance at a party where alcohol is present, or possession and use of false id’s.


My son or daughter has been the victim of a crime committed by another student.  What should they do?

Sometimes students are not comfortable coming forward when another student has harmed them. There are several offices that can assist your student during this difficult time. The primary reporting party is the Department of Public Safety. The men and women in Public Safety are professional, well-trained and equipped to advise your student about their rights, and options.  Public Safety will also lead any investigations and involve external law enforcement as needed. Staff members from Residence Life, Student Conduct, the Counseling Center, and the Dean of Students Office can also assist your student, and provide guidance.   

Can I be present during with me daughter/son during the hearing process?

Hearings are closed meetings; therefore parents may not attend.  Trained judicial advisors are available to assist students during the hearing process.  Staff members will always meet with or otherwise discuss any concerns that parents may have about the disciplinary process. 


What happens if my son/daughter is charged with a judicial violation?

Reports involving students are forwarded to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards for review.  If there is an allegation of misconduct, students will receive written notification for a meeting with a staff member from  the Office of Residence Life, or Student Conduct.  This notification will include the alleged violation, location and date of violation and time and place for a meeting to discuss the incident.  During this meeting students have an opportunity to present their version of events. After a review of the facts, a decision will be rendered about a student’s responsibility.

What College policies should my student be aware of?

The Holy Cross Student Handbook and College Catalog contain most of the policies that students have responsibility for. Specific attention should be paid to the College Alcohol Policy and Residence Hall policies which can be accessed online.

My student was placed on probation. What does that mean?

Probation indicates that a student is not in good disciplinary standing. Students on probation may be limited to the leadership roles they may assume such as serving as a Resident Assistant or Orientation Leader. Additionally students who are on probation may be precluded from special awards, or programs offered at the College.  When a student completes a waiver for a disciplinary records check, as required by many external parties such as prospective employers, or graduate schools, disciplinary probation is reported.  



What will be on my student’s record?


All students’ discipline files are maintained until a student successfully completes their degree requirements. Exceptions include cases that are pending or open when the student leaves the college, or of students, who were suspended, expelled or dismissed from the college. Under these circumstances, the files will be maintained for a period of seven years, from the student’s original expected graduation date.

Violations of College Probation and higher will be reported on Dean’s Certificates or other disciplinary checks, prior to degree completion. A record of College Probation may impact a student’s ability to participate in various activities or roles on campus. These may include serving as a resident assistant, student government officer, orientation leader, judicial board member, or other leadership role.  Students who have been placed on probation may also be excluded from participating in the study abroad program. Such a record may also be reported on law and graduate school applications, transfer forms, and in some instances, job applications, particularly for federal or state positions.

Will I be notified if my student is charged with a violation?

Generally if your student is charged with a grievous violation that could lead to suspension or expulsion, you will be notified before the hearing process. Your student will be strongly encouraged to contact you prior to notification from the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. If a student has been found responsible for a less severe violation, particularly those involving alcohol, parents will receive a letter informing them of the violation after the hearing process is completed.  Parents are invited to contact the hearing officer to answer any specific questions.