You are here


Benefits Administration
Employee Engagement & Wellness
Employee Relations
Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave
Organizational Development
Performance Reviews
Time Entry & Approval KRONOS
Time Away from Work (Leaves)
Training & Development
Worker's Comp & Accidents

Benefits Administration

How can I start or change my voluntary retirement plan contributions?

Log on to Net Benefits at and follow the instructions on page 3 of the Enrollment Guide at Fidelity is the "master administrator" of our 403(b) so all adjustments are made on this site, regardless of whether you are investing in a Fidelity or a TIAA fund.

I'm having difficulty accessing my Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Can you help me obtain my account information?

Contact our FSA administrator, Benefit Strategies, directly at 888-401-3539. Their customer service center should be able to resolve any access issues with your ID and/or password.

I did not receive my Health Savings Account (HSA) debit card. How do I access my funds?

HSA accounts are administered by Fidelity Investments. Call Fidelity's dedicated Health Savings Account service team at 800-544-3716 and reference the Holy Cross account number 09457 for assistance.

My HSA debit card will not work at the pharmacy or providers office. Where do I go for help?

Fidelity's customer service team can provide assistance with debit card transaction difficulties. Please call 800-544-3716 and reference the Holy Cross plan number 09457.

I am thinking about retirement. How can I find out more information about my medical care options in retirement?

If you want to learn about Medicare and Supplemental Medical plans for seniors, contact SHINE (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone) which provides free unbiased health insurance counseling information and assistance to all Massachusetts residents who may be approaching Medicare eligibility. All SHINE counselors are trained and certified by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs and available to speak with you at no charge. Their educational services include; Medicare Parts A & B, Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C), Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D) and Medicare Supplement Plans (Medigap). This free service is available at 1-800-243-4636 and press option 3 to speak with a SHINE counselor in your area.

I have a question about my Fallon Health Benefits. Who can I talk to?

Our dedicated Health Account Advocate, Carla Smith, is available to assist you at any time and she can be reached at 508-368-9517 or She can provide assistance navigating the Fallon website, selecting a primary care provider, researching claim issues or any other medical service questions you may have. You can also meet with Carla as she is regularly scheduled to be available on campus. Her campus visit dates and times are shown in the Benefits section of our regular HR Updates.

I have a student loan and understand I may be eligbible for a loan forgiveness program because I work for a non-profit. How can I find out more?

As you work for a nonprofit institution you may qualify for the Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness program.  Please see the following link for more details

How can I add or update Dependent/Beneficiaries?

Follow this navigation: From the Faculty & Staff home page sign on to Human Resources (HR) Self Service > log in with your Network Username and Passphrase> click Benefit Details, click Dependent/Beneficiary Info, enter the last 4 digits of your SSN, click Submit, choose to either add or update individual, for social security numbers you must enter all xxx-xx-xxxx, click Save.


What staff positions do you have available?

If you are interested in staff employment opportunities, please click here,;jsessionid=552BA8CAEC44CDF6CACCC3D23D3021E1 and you will be directed to our employment opportunities page.

What student positions do you have available?

If you are interested in student employment opportunities, please click here; which will direct you to the student employment guide.

What do I need to do to apply for a position?

You are welcome to come the department of Human Resources and fill out a paper application or you can view our employment page found here and upload your resume and cover letter on line.

Employee Engagement & Wellness

How do I find out more information about our Worksite Wellness programs?

You can go to our website @ and/ or contact our Wellness Specialist at Jenn Coode | Kripalu Registered Yoga Teacher AFAA Certified Personal Trainer Fallon Health Worksite Wellness Specialist Phone: 508-793-3885 Email:

Employee Relations

Does the College give departing employees the opportunity to conduct an exit interview?

Yes. Employees who submit a resignation letter to Human Resources will be contacted and given the option to meet with the Associate Director, Human Resources, Employee Relations. During the exit interview you will have the opportunity to relate what you felt went well for you during your employment at the College, as well as where you feel Holy Cross or your department could improve the experience for our employees.  

I have a question on a policy that is covered in Holy Cross and You (the employee handbook for the College). Who do I contact?

The current handbook is available on our website: Holy Cross & You. Any Any questions may be directed to Bruce Bacon, Associate Director, Human Resources, Employee Relations, x 3423 or


Can I update personal information, my photo, home address, or emergency contact information, in the College Human Resources Information System (PeopleSoft) database?

You can update lots of personal information yourself in the HRIS/PeopleSoft system. Follow this navigation: From the Faculty & Staff home page sign on to Human Resources (HR) Self Service > log in with your Network Username and Passphrase> Click on Personal Information select the category on the left you would like to work with and follow the prompts to review and edit your information and always click Save. Questions can be directed to Karen Brosnihan –

I just earned a degree. Can I update the educational achievement information in the College Human Resources Information System (PeopleSoft) database?

Send an e-mail to, putting HIGHEST EDUCATIONAL LEVEL in the subject line and include the degree (Associates, Bachelors, etc.), the date of the degree and institution granting the degree. HR will update the information and prompt you to go into the HRIS/PeopleSoft system to check it.

How can I sign up for Automatic College Emergency Notifications, like snow day closings?

To sign up, follow this navigation: Navigation:>Faculty & Staff> Human Resources (HR) – Self Service. Enter in your network Username and Passphrase>Enter or click Log In, Click My Emergency Notification, Enter or update your information, Click Save.

How can I add or update Dependent/Beneficiaries?

Follow this navigation: From the Faculty & Staff home page sign on to Human Resources (HR) Self Service > log in with your Network Username and Passphrase> click Benefit Details, click Dependent/Beneficiary Info, enter the last 4 digits of your SSN, click Submit, choose to either add or update individual, for social security numbers you must enter all xxx-xx-xxxx, click Save.

Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave

What is the PFML law?

Starting in 2021, a new law in Massachusetts, the Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) Act, will provide workers in Massachusetts with paid leave for:
- dealing with their own serious medical conditions
- caring for family members (as defined by PFML law) who have a serious health condition
- bonding with an employee’s child following birth or placement for adoption
- dealing with a qualifying need that came about while a family member is on active duty or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty.
More information about the law is available at

How will Paid Family and Medical Leave (PFML) be funded?

The Commonwealth is funding the leave benefits via a payroll tax of 0.75% that will be split between employers and employees. The payroll tax may vary from year to year as determined by the Commonwealth. Other government mandated benefits are funded in a similar way – for example, federal social security benefits are funded by a payroll tax that splits the cost between employers and employees.

When will PFML benefits be available?

The law’s leave benefits will not be available until:
- January 1, 2021 for paid leave due to your own serious medical condition, bonding with a new child, and managing family affairs when a family member is on active duty
- July 1, 2021 for paid leave to care for a family member with a serious medical condition.

Why will I receive a notice of this payroll tax in 2019, for a benefit that won’t be available until 2021?

The new law calls for the funding of the benefits to begin BEFORE payment of the benefits will be available. Massachusetts employers are required to provide advance notice to their employees on how the payroll tax will be split between employees and their employers. This notice must be issued by October 1, 2019. At Holy Cross, this notice will be issued via the Employee Self-Service feature of our Human Resources Information System (PeopleSoft) – or in some cases, a hard copy will be hand-delivered by a supervisor (for employees who do cannot access the on-line HRIS).

How will Holy Cross calculate the employer and employee portions of the tax?

For the remainder of this calendar year, Holy Cross is going to cover 100% of the required tax. The notice you will receive is based on Holy Cross remaining with the State administered program. The employer/employee sharing may change but the earliest it would change would be January 1, 2020.

Why might Holy Cross adopt a State-approved private plan?

These plans, which are allowed by the law, are now being offered by insurance companies, including those that we contract with currently for other employee insurance benefits (e.g. Life, Accident and Long Term Disability insurance). More plans are being approved weekly. The College might adopt an approved private plan if, for example, the premium costs were lower than the State tax for the same benefits. Claim processing by an experienced private insurer may also be more efficient and reliable than the State, which has no prior experience in this area.

How will Holy Cross calculate the employer and employee portions of the tax after January 1, 2020?

If the College decides not to adopt a State-approved private plan (i.e. stays with the Commonwealth plan funded by payroll taxes) the funding will be shared between the College and employees. As you’ll see when you review the Notice, the calculation of how Holy Cross and employees will share the payroll tax is somewhat complicated. However, you should anticipate that the costs will be split about evenly between the College and employees. How much you pay will depend on your total income but, for example, an employee earning $40,000 a year would pay about $150 per year (or $2.90 per week).

If the College decides to adopt a State-approved private plan who will pay for the premiums associated with the plan?

That decision will be made before January 1, 2021, when the first premiums would be due. However, you should anticipate that premium sharing will look much the same as tax sharing.

If I am approved for a qualifying leave in 2021 or after, how much pay can I expect to get in benefits while I’m on leave?

The weekly benefit amount is calculated as a percentage of your earnings and so will vary for each individual. The current maximum benefit is $850 per week (but this may change by January 1, 2021).

What if I need to take a medical leave prior to 2020?

For the rest of this year and all of next, there will be no change to the application, approval, and paid leave benefits associated with a medical leave of absence.

How will sick leave and paid parental leave be coordinated with PFML benefits?

Given that we don’t yet know who will be administering the benefits and how it will be delivered, it’s premature for the College to determine how PFML benefits will be coordinated with its existing paid leave benefits. More information will be shared with you at a later date.

Organizational Development

How do I create a new position or change an existing position? (E.g. create a new position, ask for a grade review, title change, change in work schedule, salary increase/decrease, change in reporting).

In order to create a new position or make changes to an existing position, the manager of that position will need to complete the Position Justification form available at and obtain the appropriate signatures, including the Vice President of the Division. Questions about the process can be addressed to Kate Kilby, Senior Associate Director of HR for Organizational Development, at 3568 or

Performance Reviews

Do I have to do a Performance Review for new hires?

All employees should receive a formal Performance Review once a year. For the 2018 Merit Increase, if an employee was hired before January 29, their manager should conduct a formal Performance Review and they'll be eligible for a merit increase. If the employee was hired after, a Performance Review is recommended, but is not required. If a review is not done, at the 6th month mark, a 6 month Performance Review is recommended.

Where do I get the most recent job description for my position, or the positions that report to me?

If you are interested in reviewing the latest version of your job description, on file in HR, or the job description(s) of those who report to you, contact Employment Coordinator, Kim McCullen, at x2756 to obtain a copy. In the case of your own job description, we recommend that you talk with your Manager first, in case updates are being, or have been made, and have not yet been forwarded to HR.

Time Entry & Approval KRONOS

Useful tips when using KRONOS online

Username must be in all CAPS.KRONOS works on any browser on campus or through the VPN. There is an e-mail for all your KRONOS questions: The HR KRONOS experts are Karen Brosnihan, 2425 OR Jean Leavitt, 3018.

Rounding rules (applies to time-swipes at time clocks and time-stamps done online) for employees with scheduled hours

Employees may time-swipe or time-stamp starting 6 minutes before and 6 minutes after their scheduled start time.* Note: While start time will adjust for an employee who time-swipes or time-stamps up to 6 minutes after the scheduled start time, and pay will not be docked, the employee may still be considered tardy by the Manager.

Deadlines for Timekeeper approval of hourly time cards

Hourly time cards should be approved no later than noon on Monday for the previous pay period. Different timelines may apply to holiday periods, or when the College is closed for inclement weather and Payroll will announce the dates/times.

Submission of salaried time off

The individual salaried employee, or the Timekeeper can submit time off online by using the KRONOS time card. Exempt salaries are paid on an exception basis: the full amount due will be paid as regular pay unless another pay category - vacation, sick, unpaid, etc - is recorded in KRONOS. All exempt (salaried) employee time off needs to be recorded by the 15th and 30th of the month. If time off was used and not recorded for a period prior to the current period, please send details of the adjustment needed, via email, to

Deadlines for Timekeeper approval of salaried time off

Salaried time off should be approved by the 15th and 30th of the month even if no time off was recorded. If you miss the deadline and need to record time off for a prior payroll period send details of the adjustment needed to

Tip for Students with Multiple Jobs transferring between jobs

Students using a time clock should select a transfer on the “IN” punch only, never on the “OUT”.

Hourly Employees and Skipping Lunch?

Not only is it a bad idea nutritionally, but Massachusetts state law has something to say about it! The law in the Commonwealth says that employees must get a 30-minute meal break during each shift that lasts 6 hours or more. KRONOS builds in the 30-minute unpaid meal break - the lunch period (some employees have an hour-long unpaid period built in). For pay purposes, 30 minutes is automatically deducted from the period between the employee's start and end times. Skipping lunch should only happen very exceptionally. To cancel a lunch Right Click on the out punch>Edit>Cancel Deduction=ALL.OK. If taking a shortened lunch period (should be exception only) or extending a lunch period, the employee must time-swipe or time-stamp OUT and back IN.

Time Away from Work (Leaves)

I may need to file for a leave under the Family Leave Medical Act (FMLA). How do I proceed?

Review the Policy: Holy Cross FMLA Policy and then contact Melissa Cutroni in Human Resources at x3566 (Bruce Bacon, x3423 in her absence).

Training & Development

How do I get information about training for an individual or my team?

If you are interested in learning about Training and Development opportunities for you, or those who report to you, please contact Kate Kilby, Senior Associate Director of HR for Organizational Development, at 3568 or Based on your needs, the training will be assessed and offered, when required.

Does the College offer help if I want to further my education?

Yes! Full-time employees may enroll in one Holy Cross course, space permitting. The course Instructor must give permission and if the course falls during working hours your supervisor must approve how you will make up the work time. For non-Holy Cross courses the College will reimburse up to 75% of the cost of tuition, up to a maximum of $1,800 each fiscal year. You must apply in advance and achieve a grade of C to receive the reimbursement. Full details are available in the Employee Handbook at Contact Peggy Boyd, Benefits Coordinator, at 2424 or with any specific questions.

Worker's Comp & Accidents

If I have experienced an injury while on campus, what should I do?

An employee who is injured on the job must report the injury immediately to his/her supervisor or department head. The employee must then report to Health Services. In addition, an Industrial Accident Report must be completed and submitted to the human resources department immediately, or as soon as possible, after the accident or injury has occurred.

What do I do if I am a supervisor and my employee has notified me of an accident that occurred here on campus?

Please notify the Human Resource department as soon as possible.