Holy Cross Home Skip the Navigation
Search | Site Index | Directions | Web Services | Calendar
 About HC    |   Admissions   |   Academics   |   Administration   |   Alumni & Friends   |   Athletics   |   Library
Holy Cross Magazine
  Book Notes
  Class Notes
  Road Signs
  Search the Magazine
  All Issues
  About the Magazine

































































































  In Memoriam




Howard J. Connell
Oct. 18, 1999
At the VA Medical Center at Bay Pines, Fla., at 100. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Connell had been a national sales executive for the American Girl Shoe Co., Bryn Mawr, Pa. He was a veteran of both World War I and World War II. Mr. Connell is survived by a son; two granddaughters; and seven great-grandchildren.


Cyril L. Thiel
Sept. 11, 1999
At Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Mich., of complications from a stroke, at 96. Prior to his retirement in 1962, Mr. Thiel had served with the U.S. Foreign Service for 38 years, in 15 countries in Southeast Asia, the Indian subcontinent, Europe, the Middle East, the Caribbean, Central and South America and Australia. He is survived by two sons; and four grandchildren.


Clement C. O'Sullivan
Sept. 16, 1999
At his home in Bayonne, N.J., at 93. Prior to his retirement in 1972, Mr. O'Sullivan had taught history, French and English at St. Peter's Preparatory School, Jersey City, N.J., for 45 years. He received the lifetime achievement award during his tenure. There are no known survivors.


John F. Power
Sept. 13, 1999
In Florida, at 93. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Power had been a senior partner of Blyth Eastman Dillon Union Securities and a member of the New York Stock Exchange for 25 years. He had also served as a director of many corporations including Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of New York, Palm Beach Co., Consolidated Cigar, Skelly Oil and Kewanee Oil. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; two sons; five daughters; 28 grandchildren; and 25 great-grandchildren.


Monsignor John J. O'Brien
Sept. 22, 1999
In Mercy Hospital, Springfield, Mass., at 91. Prior to his retirement in 1983, Monsignor O'Brien had served as pastor of St. Bernard's Church, Fitchburg, for 15 years. He had also been headmaster of St. John-Ascension Central Catholic grammar school and, later, of Sacred Heart Academy. Following his ordination in 1938, Monsignor O'Brien had served at Sacred Heart Church in Holyoke for seven years and had also been director of Sacred Heart grammar and high schools. His next assignment was St. Bernard's Church, Fitchburg, where he served for six years; during this time, he was also headmaster of St. Bernard's grammar and high schools. In 1950, he became the first superintendent of schools for the Diocese of Worcester and, in 1955, while retaining his duties as superintendent, he became the headmaster of St. Peter's High School, Worcester. In 1955, Monsignor O'Brien was named papal chamberlain and, in 1960, domestic prelate. Appointed pastor of St. John's Church, Worcester, in 1964, he retired as superintendent of schools in 1966. Monsignor O'Brien is survived by a sister-in-law.

Raymond C. Reilly
Aug. 28, 1999
In Northgate Manor Nursing Home, North Tonawanda, N.Y., at 91. Prior to his retirement in 1972, Mr. Reilly had been a stationery engineer at The Buffalo News for 32 years. Following graduation, he had worked as a stationery engineer on Great Lakes Freighters. He is survived by a son; a daughter; six grandchildren; a great-grandchild; and nephews and nieces.


Francis E. Carey
Nov. 5, 1999
At the Hermitage, Alexandria, Va., at 90. Prior to his retirement in 1975, Mr. Carey had worked for the Associated Press, writing news and feature stories about science, medicine and space. A member of the American Association of Science Writers, he received many awards for his in-depth reporting. Mr. Carey had also been the editor of the Arlington Forester for five years. He began his journalism career with the Lowell Sun. Mr. Carey is survived by three daughters; eight grandchildren, including Elizabeth Anne Hayes '86; and six great-grandchildren.

Donald J. McCrann, M.D.
Aug. 7, 1999
At the Maine Medical Center, Portland, at 90. Prior to his retirement in 1986, Dr. McCrann had been a member of St. Francis Hospital's medical staff as an attending obstetrician and gynecologist for 48 years. During his tenure, he had served as president of the medical and dental staff in 1967 and taught residents and students at the ob-gyn clinic for many years; he had also been chairman of the department from 1962-64. Dr. McCrann had also volunteered at the St. Agnes Home and in the pastoral care department at St. Francis Hospital, both in Hartford, Conn. A lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps from 1943-46, he served 18 months on the Island of Iwo Jima. He is survived by a son; a daughter; a sister; 11 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; and four nephews and a niece. 


Charles J. Jarvis
Oct. 10, 1999
At Griffin Hospital, Derby, Conn., at 88. Mr. Jarvis, who coached football, basketball and track at Ansonia (Conn.) High School for 29 years, retired as athletic director in 1966. The recipient of numerous awards, he was named to the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1978. Mr. Jarvis had been a member of the varsity football team at Holy Cross. He is survived by his wife, Constance; a sister; and several nephews and nieces.

John J. Kelly
Sept. 12, 1999
In Holyoke (Mass.) Hospital, at 87. During his career, Mr. Kelly had been a paralegal in the office of his brother, the late attorney Joseph F. Kelly and a law librarian at the Hampden (Mass.) County Courthouse, in Springfield, for 20 years, retiring in 1981. He had been a member of the President's Council. Mr. Kelly is survived by several cousins in Ireland.


Frederick T. Moore, M.D.
May 21, 1999
At Mercy Hospital in South Buffalo, N.Y., at 84. Dr. Moore was a general surgeon in Springfield, Mass., from 1946 to 1970; he then relocated to Mattapoisett, Mass., where he continued to practice medicine until his retirement in 1980. A member of the American Medical Association and the Massachusetts Medical Society, he was a past consultant for the authenticity of cures at Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Shrine in Lourdes, France. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Moore had been a captain in the Army Medical Corps. He is survived by three sons, including Frederick T. Jr., D.M.D., '63; and six grandchildren.


James E. Hackett Jr.
Oct. 5, 1999
In Newport (R.I.) Hospital, at 85. Mr. Hackett had served in the Navy for 25 years, retiring as a captain in 1965. A veteran of World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam Wars, he had been the commanding officer of the Gen. William Mitchell AP114, the John W. Thomason DD770 and, from 1960 to 1963, the commanding officer for the Navy ROTC at Notre Dame. Mr. Hackett had most recently worked for International Minerals and Chemicals in Skokie, Ill., and for the state of Rhode Island in food service. He is survived by his wife, Jane; two sons, James E. III '66 and William F. '72; three daughters; a son-in-law, Dennis Egan '69; a sister; and 18 grandchildren.

Edward A. LaCroix
Sept. 10, 1999
At the Metrowest Medical Center, Framingham, Mass., at 84. Mr. LaCroix had worked as a sales manager for Boston Edison at several locations in the Boston area before his retirement. A lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he had served in the Pacific, North and South Atlantic. Mr. LaCroix is survived by his wife, Marjorie; two sons; five daughters; a brother; 14 grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.

Edward B. O'Connell, M.D.
Oct. 17, 1999
In Connecticut, at 84. Dr. O'Connell, who had maintained a private practice in the New Haven, Conn. area, had most recently worked at the Health Services Department of Southern Connecticut State University and served as director of the Colposcopy Clinic at St. Raphael's Hospital. Following military service in the U.S. Army during World War II, he completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at St. Vincent's Hospital, New York. He is survived by his wife, Catherine; three sons, including Edward B. Jr. '65; four daughters; a sister; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Charles J. Brucato
Aug. 9, 1999
In the St. Camillus Nursing Home, Whitinsville, Mass., at 83. Prior to his retirement in 1973, Mr. Brucato had been a teacher, coach, athletic director and assistant principal at Milford (Mass.) High School. A Marine Corps officer in the Pacific during World War II, he had participated in four major campaigns and received the Purple Heart award for wounds received in battle. After the war, Mr. Brucato served in the Marine Corps Reserves, attaining the rank of major. A member of the Holy Cross Hall of Fame in both baseball and football, he had been the captain of the 1938 baseball team. Following graduation, Mr. Brucato played and coached professional baseball. He is survived his wife, Concetta; three sons, including Joseph N. '75; a daughter; a sister; and nine grandchildren.

Hector A. Duplessis
Sept. 8, 1999
At the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, at 83. Prior to his retirement in 1981, Mr. Duplessis had owned and operated the Skyview Farm and Dairy in Marlborough, Mass., for many years. A baseball player at Holy Cross, he had been a member of the Varsity Club. Mr. Duplessis is survived by his wife, Barbara; four sons; a daughter; 11 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

Alfred A. Foley
Aug. 19, 1999
At Memorial Hospital, Worcester, at 85. Mr. Foley had taught English at South High School, Worcester, for more than 30 years before his retirement. He had served in the Army during World War II. Mr. Foley is survived by many nieces and nephews; and grandnephews and grandnieces.


Bernard G. Walsh
Sept. 1, 1999
In New York, at 83. Mr. Walsh had worked for C.N.A. Insurance and had served as an account executive for the Plumbers Welfare Association of Harrison, N.Y. He is survived by a son; a daughter; a grandson; four granddaughters; a cousin; and several nephews and nieces.


Philip W. Boivin
Aug. 21, 1999
In the skilled nursing home at Covenant Village of Cromwell, Conn., at 80. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Boivin had been a manager of textile technology with the Rayonir division of ITT; previously, he had worked in New York for Werner Consultants. During World War II, Mr. Boivin served in the Navy from January 1941 until December 1944. He then began his career as a market development executive in the textile industry. Mr. Boivin is survived by his wife, Edith; and a daughter.

Gerard M. Lally
Sept. 8, 1999
At his home in Milford, Mass., at 81. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Lally had been a security supervisor at the Jordan Marsh Company in Framingham, Mass. Previously, he had been employed at the former Milford Shoe Company for more than 10 years as well as at the Krippendorf Kalculator Co. in Lynn, Mass. Mr. Lally is survived by a nephew; several nieces; and several grandnephews and grandnieces.

Jose L. Porrata, M.D.
Aug. 1, 1999
In Puerto Rico, of a heart attack, at 81. A retired physician, Dr. Porrata had served as a deacon of the Archdiocese of San Juan, Puerto Rico, for 25 years. He is survived by a son; a daughter; six grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter. His brother was the late Frank C., M.D., '40.


E. Roy Williams
Oct. 6, 1999
In Massachusetts, at 81. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Williams had been an international trade specialist for the U.S. Commerce Department. During World War II, he served in the Navy. Mr. Williams had been a member of the President's Council and a past president of the Varsity Club. He is survived by his wife, Helen; two daughters; and six grandchildren.


Daniel J. Lynch
Sept. 12, 1999
In North Merrick, N.Y., at 78. Mr. Lynch, who was retired, had most recently served as vice president of Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette in New York City; he previously had been executive vice president and treasurer of Wood, Struthers & Winthrop, also in New York City. Mr. Lynch is survived by his wife, Eleanore; four sons, including Daniel J. Jr. '75; three daughters; and seven grandchildren.

Daniel J. Moran
Aug. 2, 1999
In Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, at 77. Prior to his retirement in 1998, Mr. Moran had been an executive insurance broker for 51 years. He began his career with the former State Mutual Insurance Co. and then worked as a broker for the National Life Insurance Co.; during his association with National Life, he became a life member of the Million Dollar Round Table. A U.S. Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. Moran served with the rank of lieutenant. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; a son; two daughters; a brother, William H. Jr. '40; two sisters; and two grandsons.

Edward T. O'Malley
Aug. 30, 1999
At his home in Worcester, at 78. Mr. O'Malley had most recently been the owner and operator of an import-export business, specializing in artwork and giftware, in Canada and Europe. He had also been a stockbroker for many years. In addition to Worcester, Mr. O'Malley had lived in Canada and Spain for extended periods. During World War II, he served as a lieutenant junior grade and as a pilot in the U.S. Navy Air Corps. Mr. O'Malley is survived by two sons; three daughters; a brother; a sister; four grandchildren; and nephews and nieces. 


Joseph J. Stapor, M.D.
Oct. 18, 1999
In the Yale-New Haven (Conn.) Hospital, at 77. Dr. Stapor had most recently been medical director for American Home Products, Ayerst Division in New York, for seven years, retiring in 1987. Previously, he had been medical director of public health for the state of Connecticut Department of Public Health for 25 years before his retirement in 1981. Dr. Stapor had interned at St. Francis Hospital, Hartford, and St. Mary's Hospital in Waterbury before attending the University of Michigan's School of Public Health. He served with the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War, achieving the rank of captain. Dr. Stapor is survived by his wife, Florence; a son; a daughter, Margaret M. '82; a son-in-law, John F. Costa '82; a sister; and four grandchildren.


Thomas H. Tracy, M.D.
Oct. 29, 1999
At his home in Gardner, Mass., at 75. A retired orthopedic physician, Dr. Tracy had also served on the Gardner City Council during his career. A Navy veteran of World War II, he had served for two years as a lieutenant junior grade in the Pacific theater. Dr. Tracy is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a son, Michael P. '78; three daughters, including Martha M. '87; two sisters; six grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.


Marvin G. Wells
May 3, 1999
In California. Mr. Wells had most recently worked for Lockheed Missiles and Space for 22 years. Commissioned as an ensign after graduation, he had served in the Navy for 15 years. Prior to his retirement in 1961, Mr. Wells was awarded the Purple Heart for his involvement in the Battle of Guadalcanal. He is survived by two sons; a daughter; and two grandchildren.


Charles D. Tuppen Jr.
Oct. 8, 1999
In Brothers of Mercy Nursing Home, Clarence, N.Y., after a lengthy illness. Prior to his retirement in 1993, Mr. Tuppen had been associated with the Buffalo, N.Y., law firm Falk & Siemer for 42 years. During the 1960s, he served in the Erie County Legislature. Mr. Tuppen had also been president of the Buffalo Zoological Society from 1975 to 1979, a former member of the Buffalo and Fort Erie Bridge Commission, and a board member of the Irish Classical Theater. An ensign in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he served in the Pacific Theater. Mr. Tuppen is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons; a daughter; two sisters; and three grandchildren.


John E. Hannibal Jr., M.D.
Sept. 5, 1999
At Rae-Ann Center, Cleveland, Ohio, of complications from progressive supranuclear palsy, at 71. Dr. Hannibal, a dermatologist, had maintained a private practice in Rocky River, Ohio, from 1961 until his retirement in 1993. He had also served on the medical staffs at Fairview General and St. John hospitals, both in Cleveland, and at St. John West Shore Hospital in Westlake. During this time, Dr. Hannibal had served as an assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. After earning his medical degree, he had been a general medical officer for two years in the Air Force. Dr. Hannibal is survived by his wife, Patricia; two sons; two daughters; two brothers, including Mark J., M.D., '54; a sister; and four grandchildren.

William H. Henchey Jr.
Aug. 27, 1999
In the Fountain Valley (Calif.) Regional Hospital, at 71. Mr. Henchey had enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1954, achieving the rank of specialist 3rd class upon his discharge in 1956. He is survived by two daughters; a brother; two sisters; and several nieces and nephews.

John F. McGuire
Oct. 22, 1999
At Community Hospital of New Port Richey, Fla., at 74. Prior to his retirement, Mr. McGuire had been a transportation supervisor for the New York Telephone Co. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces. Mr. McGuire is survived by his wife, Ruth; four daughters, including Maureen '81; four sons-in-law, including Gregory J. Partyka '80; two brothers; three sisters; and six grandchildren. His father was the late Francis C. '19 and his uncle was the late J. Donald '21.


James J. Caulfield Jr.
Sept. 9, 1999
In Beverly (Mass.) Hospital, at 71. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Caulfield had been employed as a sales representative in the leather industry for many years. A veteran of the Korean War, he served in the U.S. Navy. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a son; a daughter, Maureen B. '81; six grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.


   College of the Holy Cross   |   1 College Street, Worcester, MA 01610   |   (508) 793 2011   |   Copyright 2004   |                  email   |   webmaster@holycross.edu