Holy Cross Home Skip the Navigation
Search | Site Index | Directions | Web Services | Calendar
 About HC    |   Admissions   |   Academics   |   Administration   |   Alumni & Friends   |   Athletics   |   Library
Holy Cross Magazine
  Book Notes
  Class Notes
  Road Signs
  Search the Magazine
  All Issues
  About the Magazine






































































































































































  In Memoriam




Adrian P. Burke
Sept. 3, 2000
In Lauderhill, Fla., at 95. A former associate judge, Mr. Burke had served on the New York State Court of Appeals from 1955 through 1973; in 1954, and again in 1974, he was New York City Corporation Counsel. During his stay on the bench, he wrote 252 majority opinions and 146 dissenting or concurring opinions. A 1930 graduate of Fordham University Law School in New York City, Mr. Burke, in private practice, represented individual and corporate clients in city, state and federal courts. In 1938, he served as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention; an advocate for children and the less fortunate, Mr. Burke supported passage of the "aid the needy" provision to the New York State Constitution which requires that the state provide care and support to those in need. He is survived by two sons, including Adrian P. Jr. '57; a daughter; and 10 grandchildren.


Rev. John W. Keefe
Oct. 30, 2000
At Our Lady of Hope Residence, Latham, N.Y., at 92. Prior to his retirement in March 1979, Fr. Keefe had been the pastor of Holy Family Parish in Stottville, N.Y.; previously he had served as pastor of St. John the Baptist Church in Valatie, Our Lady Help of Christians Church in Albany, and St. Joseph's Church, Greenfield Center, N.Y. Ordained to the priesthood in 1932, Fr. Keefe began his ministry as associate pastor at Sacred Heart Church, Cairo, N.Y., and, then, at St. Ignatius Church in Hornell. After serving at Sacred Heart Church in Lake George, he became the chaplain at the Convent of the Sacred Heart, Kenwood, where he remained for more than 20 years. During this time, Fr. Keefe was Newman Club chaplain at Albany Business College and New York State Teacher's College; director of Newman Hall; director of the Marian Lodge; and the director of the Diocesan Office for Displaced Persons. He is survived by a sister.

John F. Manning
Oct. 12, 2000
At his home in St. George, Utah, at 94. During his career, Mr. Manning served three terms in the Massachusetts State Legislature. From 1945 to 1964, he worked for the Internal Revenue Service as a special agent; he later became an auditor and purchasing agent for the Valley Bank of Nevada. A veteran of World War II, Mr. Manning served with the U.S. Army Air Forces. He is survived by his wife, Mary; a son; a daughter; and a granddaughter.


Edward F. Curry
Sept. 8, 2000
At Newport (R.I.) Hospital, at 89. Mr. Curry had worked for the Sterling-Winthrop Pharmaceutical Company until his retirement in 1974. He later taught physics at Milton (Mass.) High School. Mr. Curry is survived by his wife, Patricia; a son; two daughters; two sisters; six grandchildren; and 26 nephews and nieces. 


Thomas M. Caffrey
Aug. 23, 2000
In Mercy Hospital, Scranton, Pa., at 89. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Caffrey had been a labor market analyst for the Pennsylvania Bureau of Employment Security. He is survived by his wife, Jessie; a son; a daughter; and a grandson.

James J. Foley
Oct. 31, 2000
In Webster, Mass., at 88. Mr. Foley, who began working for the Worcester Post Office in 1935 as a letter carrier, retired in 1972 as assistant supervisor of the West Side Worcester Postal Station. During his career, he had also worked at the Worcester Postal Credit Union and at the Worcester Market. Active in many church, social and community organizations, Mr. Foley was a founding member of St. Joan of Arc Parish in Worcester. He is survived by two sons; three daughters; a sister; 15 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.

Edward T. Molloy
Nov. 6, 2000
In Hartford (Conn.) Hospital, at 88. Prior to his retirement in 1977, Mr. Molloy had been employed by Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in East Hartford. He is survived by a son; two granddaughters; and a niece.


Paul E. Kirby Sr. 
Oct. 4, 2000
In Sunshine Village, Phoenix, Ariz., at 86. Mr. Kirby owned and operated the Lenox Market in Worcester for 28 years; he had also worked for Hall Smith-Sysco Foods. Mr. Kirby is survived by his wife, Constance; three sons; a brother, Edward F. '47; five grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.


Louis G. Beaudet
Aug. 27, 2000
In Houston, Texas, at 85. Prior to his retirement, Dr. Beaudet had been an optometrist in Woonsocket, R.I., for 38 years. Active in church, community and social organizations, he had been involved in many projects associated with the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO); in 1957, he was named CYO Man of the Year for Northern Rhode Island. Dr. Beaudet served three years in the Army Medical Corps during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Sylvia; two sons, Arthur L., M.D., '63 and Roger C. '70; a daughter; a sister; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Paul V. Cross
Oct. 1, 2000
At the Windsor Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in South Yarmouth, Mass., at 85. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Cross worked as a superintendent at the Chandler Construction Co. in Hyannis, Mass., for many years. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Navy as a lieutenant. Mr. Cross is survived by two sisters; and several nephews and nieces.

Timothy L. Donovan
Sept. 23, 2000
In California, at 84. Mr. Donovan is survived by a son; a daughter; and two sisters. 

Adrian P. Driggs
Sept. 1, 2000
In Naples, Fla., at 84. During his career, Mr. Driggs had served as general counsel to Agway Inc. and as staff counsel to Lever Brothers. He had been a member of the President's Council at Holy Cross and a class agent; in 1989, he was a recipient of the In Hoc Signo Award. Mr. Driggs is survived by his wife, June; a son, Adrian P. III '76; a daughter; a sister; and two grandchildren.


John C. Cashin, M.D.
Nov. 5, 2000
In Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, Mass., at 84. A longtime physician and surgeon, Dr. Cashin served the community of northern Berkshire County and southern Vermont for 49 years; he opened his medical practice in Adams, Mass., in 1951 and then relocated to North Adams in 1958. During his career, Dr. Cashin had been a member of the surgical staffs of the North Adams Regional Hospital; the former W.B. Plunkett Memorial Hospital in Adams; and the Putnam Memorial Hospital in Bennington, Vt. At the time of his death, he was an honorary staff member at North Adams Regional Hospital. In 1951, Dr. Cashin was appointed to the department of surgery at the Albany (N.Y.) Medical College where he taught for several years. A veteran of World War II, he served with the Navy as the medical officer aboard the "Brush" destroyer in the Pacific; he then served as chief of the department of pediatrics in the 12th Naval District until his discharge in 1946. In addition to serving as a lieutenant commander in the Naval Reserves, Dr. Cashin was a medical officer with the 42nd Special Infantry Co. of the Marine Reserves in Pittsfield. He was a member of the President's Council at Holy Cross. Dr. Cashin is survived by his wife, Barbara; and several nephews and nieces. 

Thomas J. Meehan Jr.
Nov. 1, 2000
At Martin Memorial Medical Center, Stuart, Fla., at 83. Prior to his retirement in 1984, Mr. Meehan had been a hotel and restaurant manager for the Howard Johnson Co. for 10 years. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; a daughter; a brother; a sister; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. 


J. Robert Goodrich
Aug. 24, 2000
At his home in Montpelier, Vt., at 81. During his career, Mr. Goodrich managed the family furniture business in Montpelier, Vt., for many years. He had also been a member of the Montpelier School Board; a trustee of Vermont College and Norwich University; and a director of Chittenden Bank. A Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. Goodrich attained the rank of lieutenant commander; he was awarded the Bronze Star. Mr. Goodrich is survived by his wife, Julia; three sons; a daughter; twin brothers; a sister; and several grandchildren.

Robert A. Weems
Oct. 16, 2000
At the VNA Hospice House, Vero Beach, Fla., at 82. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Weems had been a special agent for the FBI. During World War II, he had been a lieutenant in the Navy. Mr. Weems is survived by his wife, Dolores; two sons; two daughters; a brother; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. 


F. William Ahearn
Nov. 8, 2000
At Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Mass., at 80. Mr. Ahearn operated the Milton (Mass.) Auto Body Shop for many years and later sold automobiles at South Shore Buick in Quincy. At the start of his career, Mr. Ahearn joined his father's business, Milton Auto Sales, which he operated until 1972. A Navy veteran, he served in Europe and the Mediterranean Sea as a skipper on a Landing Craft Infantry (LCI). Mr. Ahearn is survived by his wife, Bernice; three sons; three daughters; and 11 grandchildren. 


Emanuel A. Merullo
Sept. 3, 2000
In Danbury (Conn.) Hospital, at 79. Prior to his retirement in 1998, Mr. Merullo had served 15 years as the director of personnel for the city of Danbury; from 1981 until 1983, he had been employed by New Horizons Corp., Stamford, Conn., as an educational specialist. An educator for many years, Mr. Merullo began his career in 1946 at the former Jesse Lee Academy, as a math teacher and baseball coach; from 1949 until 1961, he taught math and coached track, football and baseball at Danbury High School. Mr. Merullo then served eight years as the assistant principal of Danbury High School and 12 years as principal of Bethel High School. He had been an Army veteran of World War II. Mr. Merullo is survived by his wife, Eleanor; three sons; a daughter; eight grandchildren; four brothers; and many nieces and nephews, including Leonard R. Jr. '64. 

Robert W. Smith
Oct. 5, 2000
In Concord (N.H.) Hospital, at 77. Prior to his retirement in 1987, Mr. Smith had worked 20 years for Blue Cross-Blue Shield. During his career, he had also been employed by the State of New Hampshire Treasury Department; the New Hampshire State Health Department; and the H.E. Humphrey Co. A Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. Smith had served with the amphibious forces in the Pacific theater. After the war, he was a member of the 11-man naval commission in the India-Burma-Malay States area; he was discharged from military service as a lieutenant junior grade. Mr. Smith is survived by his wife, Eileen.


William E. Manning Jr.
Aug. 28, 2000
At his home in Alexandria, Va., of malignant melanoma, at 77. A veteran of World War II and the Korean War, retired Col. William E. Manning, USA, began his military service in 1944, following graduation. Commissioned a second lieutenant in 1945, he served in Alaska; taught military history to ROTC students at the University of New Hampshire, Durham; attended General Staff College in Kansas; and served with the Alaskan Command. Promoted to full colonel in 1966, Mr. Manning finished his military career at the Pentagon, retiring in 1971 after 10 years of service there. He then worked 20 years as a civilian employee of the Defense Department, retiring as deputy assistant secretary of the Army for manpower and reserve affairs. Mr. Manning is survived by his wife, Irene; two sons; a daughter; two sisters; five grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.


Carl E. Buckley Sr.
Sept. 17, 2000
In New York, at 76. Mr. Buckley is survived by his wife, Regis; two sons, Carl E. '79 and Kevin C. '83; two daughters; a brother, J. Bruce '52; and 10 grandchildren.

Thomas A. Foran
Aug. 6, 2000
At his home in Lake Forest, Ill., of cancer, at 76. A Chicago trial attorney, Mr. Foran was known for his role as a federal prosecutor in the Chicago Seven conspiracy trial of 1969 and 1970. As U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Illinois from 1968 to 1970, he also prosecuted more than 150 people in a fight against organized crime. Mr. Foran returned to the private sector in 1970 as a partner in the firm of Foran, Wiss & Schultz; he continued to practice law until shortly before his death. During World War II, Mr. Foran was a Navy torpedo bomber pilot in the Pacific theater; following the war, he entered private practice, joining the law firm of Righeimer & Righeimer and then co-founding the firm of Foran & Wiss in 1957. Appointed Chicago's special assistant corporation counsel in charge of land acquisitions in 1959, Mr. Foran specialized in eminent domain law; he represented the city of Chicago in major public work projects and later acted as counsel for property owners in land acquisition matters. During this time, he became the first layperson to serve on the Chicago Catholic Archdiocesan Board of Urban Affairs. Mr. Foran is survived by his wife, Jean; three sons; three daughters; 16 grandchildren; a brother; and a sister. His father was the late Francis L., M.D., '13; his uncles were the late John J. '09, Rev. William A. '17, Rev. T. Lawrence, S.J., '20; and Edward W. Larkin '09.

Philip R. Kneeland
Oct. 11, 2000
At his home in Worcester, at 78, after an illness. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Kneeland had been a U.S. district court commissioner and magistrate judge for 27 years. During his career, he presided at the U.S. Magistrate Court at Fort Devens, Ayer, Mass., and practiced law in Worcester for many years. He had been an Army Air Forces veteran of World War II. Mr. Kneeland is survived by nephews and nieces.


Rev. James A. Benson, S.J.
Nov. 21, 2000
At Waltham (Mass.)-Deaconess Hospital, at 75, after a long illness. Fr. Benson had been the associate pastor at St. Ignatius Church, Chestnut Hill, Mass., for the past 10 years. Previously, he had served eight years as the rector of Bishop Connolly High School in Fall River, Mass., and four years as the rector of Boston College High School. Ordained to the priesthood in 1956, Fr. Benson taught for five years at the Fairfield (Conn.) Preparatory School; beginning in 1963, he worked 10 years at the Cranwell School in Lenox, Mass., first as a teacher and then as the rector-headmaster. In 1973, Fr. Benson became involved with the Marriage Encounter program, later expanding his ministry to include retreat work and spiritual direction. He is survived by several cousins.

Rev. Carlton C. Grenier, S.M.
Sept. 18, 2000
In St. Francis Home, Worcester, at 76, after a long illness. Prior to his retirement last year, Fr. Grenier had served 45 years as a missionary in Bougainville, Papua, New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. Entering the Society of Mary Marist Novitiate in Washington, D.C., he was ordained to the priesthood in 1954. An Army veteran of World War II, Fr. Grenier served in the Pacific. He is survived by a sister; a nephew; two nieces; grandnephews and grandnieces; and great-grandnephews and great-grandnieces. 

John E. Lawlor
Dec. 3, 2000
In Connecticut, at 75. Prior to his retirement in 1983, Mr. Lawlor had worked 20 years for Xerox Corporate Management; he joined the company as an executive in the distribution divisions. Previously, he owned and operated several service stations in the Binghamton, N.Y., area for more than 10 years. A World War II veteran, Mr. Lawlor served two years as a Navy lieutenant in the Pacific theater. He is survived by his wife, Joan; three sons, including Thomas P. '90; four daughters, including Pamela Lawlor Schline '78; a sister; and 12 grandchildren.

Robert B. Leavy
Sept. 19, 2000
At the Glens Falls (N.Y.) Hospital, at 75. Prior to his retirement in 1987, Mr. Leavy taught science in Darien, Conn., for 20 years. Previously, he was employed by American Cyanamid in Stamford, Conn., for 20 years. Mr. Leavy is survived by a brother; nephews and nieces; grandnephews and grandnieces; and several cousins. 

Harold K. LeMar
Oct. 15, 2000
At the Hebrew Home and Hospital, West Hartford, Conn., at 76. Mr. LeMar began his career as a geophysicist for Texaco in Gillette, Wyo. After several years, he relocated to Middletown, Conn., where he became an engineer for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in 1956. Moving through the ranks of multiple divisions of United Technologies, he served as international sales manager for the Carrier Division prior to his retirement in 1987. A Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. LeMar served aboard the USS Rockhill Victory and USS Tabora. He is survived by two sons; two daughters; and 13 grandchildren.

John L. Winship
Sept. 13, 2000
In New York, at 75. Mr. Winship began his career with Standard Oil, working in China, India and Pakistan. In 1950, he returned to the United States to take over the family business, Winship Wholesale, which he ran until his death. From 1955 until 1971, he also owned Concord Emporium in Springville, N.Y. A Navy veteran of World War II, Mr. Winship was a member of the NTC Sampson, N.Y. V-12 Unit, and Colgate University, Hamilton, N.Y., ROTC Unit; After his discharge in 1946, he served in the U.S. Navy Reserve program, retiring in 1961 as an ensign. Mr. Winship is survived by two sons; three daughters; 10 grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and a brother.


John W. Keating
May 10, 2000
At the Hospice House of Southwest Florida, Port Charlotte, at 77. During his career, Mr. Keating worked many years for Booz, Allen and Hamilton, in the position of vice president, director of research, of the Foster D. Snell Company. He also worked on the Atomic Energy Program at the University of Rochester and served as the director of research of Strasenburg Laboratories, Rochester, N.Y. Prior to his retirement in 1988, Mr. Keating had most recently been the vice president of his own company, Clinical Protocol. A veteran, he had served in the U.S. Navy, Naval Reserve and the Army Reserve. Mr. Keating is survived by his wife, Marguerite; a son; a daughter; and a grandson. 


Lawrence B. Cantwell
Sept. 18, 2000
In the Morristown (N.J.) Memorial Hospital, at 75. During his career, Mr. Cantwell had worked 37 years for the Exxon Corp.; he retired in 1986 as a section head with the company's division in Florham Park, N.J. Active in community service, Mr. Cantwell had volunteered with the United Way in Morris County, served on the Randolph (N.J.) Board of Education and coached basketball, baseball and the traveling basketball teams in Randolph. A Navy veteran of World War II, he served in the Pacific theater; he had also been part of the V-12 program during the war. A member of the President's Council and a Holy Cross class agent, Mr. Cantwell served many years as an alumni admissions representative for the College, covering college fairs and conducting interviews for prospective students. Expressing her appreciation for his dedication and commitment to the program, Director of Admissions Ann McDermott commented, "What I will always remember about Larry was his passion for the students he met and his desire to represent them completely to the admissions committee. He gave everything-heart and soul-to the process and will be missed terribly by the members of our staff." Mr. Cantwell is survived by his wife, Irene; three sons; and two grandchildren. 

George M. Joseph, M.D.
Nov. 18, 2000
In the UMass Memorial Medical Center-Memorial Campus, at 77, after an illness. In addition to serving as a staff physician at the former City Hospital in Worcester, Dr. Joseph maintained a private practice in Worcester for 35 years, retiring in 1988. He had  also worked for the Worcester Department of Public Health; Fairlawn Hospital; the Worcester Bus Co.; and Clark University. Dr. Joseph had been a Holy Cross class agent. He is survived by three sons; four daughters; 14 grandchildren; and nephews and nieces.


Maurice A. Capone, M.D.
Sept. 10, 2000
At Mary Washington Hospital, Fredericksburg, Va., at 73. Dr. Capone had been an assistant professor of medicine at Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., until 1982. He then maintained a private practice in internal medicine in Clinton, Md., and later at Colonial Beach, retiring in December 1999. Dr. Capone is survived by his wife, Helen; five sons; a daughter; two brothers; and a grandchild.

James L. Donohue
Oct. 29, 2000
In Northampton, Mass., at 78. During his career, Mr. Donohue had been the director of public assistance for the Northampton Welfare Office for 10 years and a social worker and supervisor with the Holyoke (Mass.) Welfare Department; he had also worked for the Carlton Maintenance Co. and served as an office manager for PBX Inc., retiring in 1995. An Army veteran of World War II, Mr. Donohue served in the South Pacific. He is survived by his wife, Sally; two sons; a daughter; six brothers, including David C. '59; a sister; and several grandchildren. 


Charles H. Binder
Aug. 10, 2000
At his home in Reading, Pa., at 72. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Binder had been employed in the maintenance and distribution department of Reading Hospital. During the Korean War, he served in the Army. Mr. Binder, who played varsity football, baseball and basketball in high school, and varsity football at Holy Cross, was elected one of the top athletes of Berks County, Pa., from 1900-1950. During the 1950s, he was an assistant football coach for his alma mater, Central Catholic High School, in Reading. Mr. Binder is survived by his wife, Christine; a son; three daughters; four brothers; a sister; and nine grandchildren.

William J. Gould Jr.
Oct. 31, 2000
In the Veterans Administration Medical Center, Bedford, Mass., at 73. A retired investment broker, Mr. Gould was a founding partner of the former Boston brokerage firm of Breck, McNeish and Nagle. Prior to establishing the company, he had been associated with several other firms, including Drexel, Burnham and Lambert. During the Korean War, Mr. Gould served in the Navy as an ensign aboard an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. A member of the Holy Cross track team, he won many intercollegiate track events and served as team captain during the 1949-50 season; in 1997, he was inducted into the Holy Cross Varsity Club Hall of Fame. Mr. Gould is survived by his wife, Dolores; two sons; a daughter; a brother; a sister; and two grandchildren.

Paul M. Kittredge
Nov. 8, 2000
At his home in Potomac, Md., at 77. A retired foreign service officer, Mr. Kittredge worked 44 years for the U.S. Department of State, in locations including East Asia, Latin America, Africa and Europe; he was an interpreter for Henry Kissinger during the Paris Peace Talks. An Army veteran of World War II, Mr. Kittredge served in East Asia. He is survived by his wife, Rita; a daughter; a sister; and three grandchildren. 


   College of the Holy Cross   |   1 College Street, Worcester, MA 01610   |   (508) 793 2011   |   Copyright 2004   |                  email   |   webmaster@holycross.edu