A statistical overview
of the Class of 2002 shows a group of notably intelligent,
diverse and well-rounded students.
- A total of 4,348 students applied for entrance to the
Class. Of this number, 2,061, or 47.4 percent of the applicants,
were accepted for admission; 724 students enrolled.
- Members of the Class ranked in the top 8 percent of
their high school classes.
- The average SAT score of those who enrolled was 1252.
- The College continues to place a high priority on the
sons and daughters of alumni: 69 percent of alumni children
who applied were accepted.
- Forty-four percent of the Class attended public high
schools. Fifty-six percent hailed from private or church-affiliated
- Students in the Class represent 37 states and six foreign
countries, including Canada, Costa Rica, Greece, Italy,
Jamaica, and the Philippines.
- Ninety-nine percent of the Class lives in on-campus
- Included in the class are 23 African-Americans, 48 Latinos,
and 24 Asian-Americans, or 12 percent of the class.
- These numbers are the result of the hard work of the
Admissions staff, as well as the approximately 1,200 alumni
volunteers who assist at college fairs and serve as local