The Department of Theatre offers a major with a 12-course curriculum with two major emphases (Acting and Design). Students do not need to audition to become a theatre major.
|Acting Emphasis||Design Emphasis|
Beginning with the Class of 2018, all theatre majors will be required to complete a capstone project during the senior year. The capstone requirement is filled by performing, directing, designing (sets, lights, costumes, video, sound), or stage managing a significant production.
Electives in Dance
- THEA 111 Basic Dance
- THEA 131 Balinese Dance 1-2
- THEA 141 Jazz Dance 1-2
- THEA 151 Ballet 1-2
- THEA 181 Modern Dance 1-2
- THEA 232 Balinese Dance 3-4
- THEA 242 Jazz Dance 3-4
- THEA 252 Ballet 3-4
- THEA 282 Modern Dance 3-4
- THEA 450 Dance Performance
Department of Theatre Electives in Performance, Literature, and History
- THEA 126 Asian Performance Traditions
- THEA 128 Political Theatre
- THEA 135 Comedy On Stage and Screen
- THEA 140 Holocaust On Stage and Screen
- THEA 145 Gay Theatre and Film
- THEA 160 American Film
- THEA 165 World Film
- THEA 190 Stage Combat
- THEA 203 Scene Study
- THEA 227 Scene Design
- THEA 228 Lighting Design
- THEA 230 Costume Design
- THEA 263 Selected American Stage and Film Artists
- THEA 302 Voice in Acting 2
- THEA 304 Audition Techniques
- THEA 340 Advanced Directing
- THEA 361 Film as Narrative
- THEA 370 Kamikaze Acting
- THEA 400 Tutorial/Theatre
- THEA 405 Performance Recital
- THEA 406 Performance for Audience
Do I have to audition to become a theatre major?
No. Students may include supplementary material directly to the Admissions office with their admissions materials. These are forwarded to the department for evaluation, but are not a requirement.
Can I also major in another discipline?
Yes. It is important to plan carefully and to let your advisor know that you are interested in being a double major. Students do not declare a major until they have been on campus for at least two semesters, so it is wise to take a theatre class or two in the freshman year to be sure that a double major is in your future.