You are here
What Can I Do With French?
Did you know?
- Proficiency in French increases your job prospects! A recent U.S. State Department study of international jobs showed that over 50% of jobs surveyed required or preferred candidates with French skills!
- French is the second most influential language in the world! Language Today, a publication for language professionals, ranks French second only to English.
- France is the #1 tourist destination in the world! The number of people visiting France per year is greater than its entire population.
- There are over 20 exotic islands in the world where French is spoken! Including islands in the Caribbean, the south Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.
- French is an official language in the United States! The state of Louisiana lists French and English as its official languages.
- Canada, whose official languages are French and English, is the primary consumer of U.S. exports! With NAFTA, more products will be marketed in Canada and companies will need French-speaking employees.
- In over 20 African countries, French is used for government or business! There is a strong French influence in North Africa, West Africa and Central Africa.
- French is an official language of many international organizations! It is an official language at the European Union, the UN, the Red Cross, the International Monetary Fund, UNESCO & the Olympic Committee!
- France ranks 4th in the world in terms of Gross National Product! Plus, over 1,200 French companies have investments in the US and these French companies employ over 400,000 Americans annually.
- All three branches of the European Union are headquartered in French-speaking countries! In Strasbourg, France; Brussels, Belgium; and Luxembourg City, Luxembourg.
How can I find out more about the French Program?
- Contact any of the professors of French in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures. French Offices: Stein Hall, 4th Floor.