The French program offers students many opportunities to engage with the French language and French and francophone cultures, both in and out of the classroom.
- Students perfect their linguistic proficiency in small practice sessions led by a native foreign language assistant (FLA). The FLAs reinforce classroom lessons through interactive activities, and offer a direct insight into contemporary French and francophone cultures
- Students sharpen their analytical skills in methodology courses designed to develop lexical flexibility, rhetorical techniques and stylistic proficiency
- Students explore the rich literary, artistic, historical and intellectual traditions that have shaped the French and francophone cultures in courses that span centuries and geographies
- Students see their French studies come to life beyond the classroom through regular co-curricular events coordinated by the French program faculty and FLAs. They include a film series, a weekly café hour, a language club, guest lectures and cultural outings
- Students are encouraged to enhance their French studies by participating in one of Holy Cross’ unique study abroad programs. With sites in Dijon and Strasbourg, France, as well as in francophone African countries, students have the opportunity to take courses at academic institutions of high repute while they increase fluency in the language and experience a French or francophone culture first-hand
- Students’ achievements are rewarded by membership in the French Honors Society, Pi Delta Phi, and by various prizes awarded at every level of instruction