You can pick ANY major and have a successful business career.
The three critical skills for success are:
1. Communication Skills: reading, writing, speaking, listening
2. Problem-Solving Skills: Reasoning, ability to identify cause & effect
3. People Skills: teamwork with diverse nationalities & personalities
• You should take courses at Holy Cross that provide you with these three skill sets (above). Choose a major that (a) your natural skills equip you to do well in, and (b) you have a passion for. The result is you will (1) get a solid education about the subject, (2) get good grades, and (3) be a strong candidate for job placement.
• Entrepreneurial Studies and the prebusiness program will supplement your major to provide exposure/foundation in your understanding of business.
• An economics major is not the same as a business major, so don’t force yourself to major in economics thinking it is the only major that will prepare you for a business career. Economics is a quantitative subject that requires strong math skills. But running a successful business requires relatively modest mathematical knowledge and focuses instead on skills in communications, problem-solving, and working effectively with people.
• Your liberal arts education will provide you with outstanding communication, problem solving, and leadership skills that recruiters are looking for. These skills cannot be taught in technical courses.
• Every company has their distinct technical operational system, which you will learn either on-the-job, or through the company training program after you’ve been hired. But on-the-job learning cannot make a new hire a good public speaker, an accomplished writer, an efficient leader, or an effective problem solver. You need to learn these skills at Holy Cross.
Foundation for Business - Experiential Learning - Network of Alumni
Good Ethics is Good Business - Structured Advising - Technical Skills
...and receive a Certificate of Readiness!
Center for Career Development
The Ciocca Office of Entrepreneurial Studies has an integrated relationship with the College’s Center for Career Development. An important resource for all Holy Cross students, the Center can assist in identifying and clarifying your career objectives, teaches skills and strategies for conducting a successful job search, and can help you with securing entry level professional positions and internships. Students are encouraged to begin the career planning process in their first years and continue to utilize the Center resources throughout their four years at Holy Cross.
The Center for Career Development is located in the Hogan Campus Center, 203. Counseling appointments can be made by calling 508-793-3880. Drop-ins are available daily from 1 to 4PM.
Vault.com provides in-depth intelligence on what it's really like to work in an industry, company or profession—and how to position yourself to land that job. Take advantage of your FREE access:
- Internship Database – find thousands of ratings and reviews of internship programs, requirements, sample interview questions, how to apply and more.
- Vault Job Board – search thousands of new jobs and internships posted daily, sign up for alerts based on your criteria, complete a profile and be seen by top employers and recruiters.
- Company Profiles – rankings and reviews on industry reputation, career advancement, quality of life, salary & benefits, interview process and more.
CrusaderConnections is Holy Cross' online recruiting portal. Students may use this system to apply for internship and full-time opportunities through On-Campus Recruiting, Resume Referral, the Alumni Shadowing Program, and Internship Funding.