Last updated: Aug. 28, 2020
To help prevent inadvertent asymptomatic spread of coronavirus among our community, effective immediately, any individual who enters the Holy Cross campus must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth at all times, both indoors and outdoors. College hosts of approved visitors and vendors are responsible for enforcing this requirement with regard to their charges.
All employees and students approved to be on campus will be provided two cloth masks coverings by the College. Faculty, students, and staff may wear these face coverings or their own. Approved visitors and vendors must bring their own masks.
Prohibited Facial Coverings
The following face coverings do not effectively mitigate the spread of COVID-19 and are not permitted:
- Face shields, without an accompanying face mask
- Face masks with vents
- Neck gaiters
Exceptions to the Mask Requirement
Individuals do not need to wear face coverings in the following situations:
- When an individual is working alone in their own office with the door closed.
- Faculty members who are recording a class or laboratory session alone in a designated space with the door closed.
- When an individual is eating or drinking with adequate physical distancing, i.e. in a space that allows the person to remain 6 feet away from others.
- When an individual is using the outdoor athletic fields, provided they are able to maintain appropriate physical distancing. (Massachusetts safety standards require fourteen feet distance between people engaging in physical activity.)
- When an individual is alone in their own personal vehicle. However, before exiting a personal vehicle on campus the individual must put on a mask.
- When a Facilities employee has been assigned a specific vehicle that only they use, a mask is not required while the employee is in the vehicle. However, before exiting the vehicle on campus the employee must put on a mask.
- When a student is in their bedroom/suite/apartment with only their roommate or suite/apartment mates or when undertaking personal grooming.
- When an individual is smoking in a designated outdoor smoking area and is adequately physically distanced, i.e., at least 6 feet, from others.
Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
Employees seeking an accommodation to this policy may contact the employment coordinator in Human Resources at (508) 793-2756 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students seeking an accommodation may contact Accessibility Services.
Enforcement of Mask Requirement and Progressive Discipline
At the College of the Holy Cross we are guided by the Ignatian principle of cura personalis, or care for the whole person, and for that reason we take seriously our obligations to ourselves and to one another. In the era of COVID-19 these obligations take on greater significance. Each of us must work to protect the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff in our community by following the protocols set forth above.
- Faculty/Staff: Employees who fail to observe the mask requirement are subject to discipline. Consistent with College policy, all department heads, supervisors and managers are responsible for ensuring their employees are abiding by College policies, including wearing a mask, and MUST report any persistent noncompliance with this policy to Human Resources. Disciplinary action, which include, but are not limited to, oral warnings, written warnings, unpaid suspension, and/or termination, will be applicable if employees engage in repeated violations. More information about employees and the mask requirement can be found at the document Employees Authorized to Work On Campus During Modified Operations Due to COVID-19: Protocols for Masks, Social Distancing and Hygiene.
- Students: Students who fail to comply with this policy may forfeit access to campus or be removed from College housing, including any College-leased properties off campus, in addition to other disciplinary measures, up to possible dismissal from the College.
- Guests: The limited number of visitors and vendors who may be approved to access campus must comply with this policy. If they fail to observe this policy they will be asked to leave.
This Policy is effective immediately and the College reserves the sole right to apply and interpret this Policy, grant exceptions to and revise this Policy at any time, with or without advance notice.