Last updated: June 23, 2021
To help prevent inadvertent asymptomatic spread of coronavirus among our community, effective immediately, any individual who enters the Holy Cross campus must wear a face covering that covers the nose and mouth at all times while indoors if they are not fully vaccinated.
Mandatory Masking Locations
The following locations require masking by all, regardless of vaccination status.
- Health Services
- The COVID-19 Testing Center
- The Counseling Center
What Type of Mask?
Choose a mask that fits snugly over your mouth and nose. The CDC has more information about selecting a mask that will protect you and those around you.
Exceptions to the Mask Requirement
Individuals do not need to wear face coverings in the following situations:
- They are fully vaccinated.
- When an individual is working alone in their own office with the door closed.
- Faculty members who are recording a class or laboratory session alone in a designated space with the door closed.
- When an individual is eating or drinking with adequate physical distancing, i.e. in a space that allows the person to remain 6 feet away from others.
- When an individual is using the outdoor athletic fields, provided they are able to maintain appropriate physical distancing. (Massachusetts safety standards require fourteen feet distance between people engaging in physical activity.)
- When an individual is alone in their own personal vehicle. However, before exiting a personal vehicle on campus the individual must put on a mask.
- When a Facilities employee has been assigned a specific vehicle that only they use, a mask is not required while the employee is in the vehicle. However, before exiting the vehicle on campus the employee must put on a mask.
- When a student is in their bedroom/suite/apartment with only their roommate or suite/apartment mates or when undertaking personal grooming.
- When an individual is smoking in a designated outdoor smoking area and is adequately physically distanced, i.e., at least 6 feet, from others.
- As permitted by the President of the College, in accordance with Massachusetts state guidelines.
Accommodations for Individuals with Disabilities
Employees seeking an accommodation to this policy may contact the employment coordinator in Human Resources at (508) 793-2756 or via email at email@example.com. Students seeking an accommodation may contact Accessibility Services.
Enforcement of Mask Requirement and Progressive Discipline
At the College of the Holy Cross we are guided by the Ignatian principle of cura personalis, or care for the whole person, and for that reason we take seriously our obligations to ourselves and to one another. In the era of COVID-19 these obligations take on greater significance. Each of us must work to protect the health and safety of all students, faculty, and staff in our community by following the protocols set forth above.
- Faculty/Staff: Employees who fail to observe the mask requirement are subject to discipline. Consistent with College policy, all department heads, supervisors and managers are responsible for ensuring their employees are abiding by College policies, including wearing a mask, and MUST report any persistent noncompliance with this policy to Human Resources. Disciplinary action, which include, but are not limited to, oral warnings, written warnings, unpaid suspension, and/or termination, will be applicable if employees engage in repeated violations.
- Students: Students who fail to comply with this policy may forfeit access to campus or be removed from College housing, including any College-leased properties off campus, in addition to other disciplinary measures, up to possible dismissal from the College.
- Guests: Guests who fail to observe this policy will be asked to leave.
This Policy is effective immediately and the College reserves the sole right to apply and interpret this Policy, grant exceptions to and revise this Policy at any time, with or without advance notice.