Jan. 26, 2021
Dear Students and Parents:
As yesterday's message indicated, the College is eager to support you in having the best Holy Cross experience possible in these COVID conditions. We know that building community and making memories is an important part of your Holy Cross experience, and we are writing to share some of the social and fitness offerings that will be available.
In addition to the many virtual programs student clubs and departments sponsor, we will also have a number of in-person programs and opportunities as allowed by the Campus Alert Level.
- myHC: The College recently launched a new campus engagement platform called myHC. Students can use myHC to find and register for events, join groups and clubs, connect with friends, and stay up-to-date on the latest information. Students should download myHC from the Apple and Google Play stores.
- #INtheKNOW Kiosk: Starting this semester, students can stop by the #INtheKNOW Kiosk located in the lower level of Hogan outside of Crossroads. This kiosk will be staffed to help you learn about what events are happening at Holy Cross and how you can get involved.
- Rec Loan: A limited amount of fitness and recreational equipment will be available for students to borrow at the #INtheKNOW Kiosk. Available fitness items include resistance bands, yoga mats, and strength balls. Some items will change with the seasons like snowshoes and snowman making kits for winter and items like bocce ball, Spikeball, and pickleball for spring. Games available for any season include giant Jenga, giant Connect-4, PS4 gaming equipment, and assorted board games.
- Outdoor Spaces: To encourage spending time outside, there will be a variety of outdoor spaces available this semester including outdoor lounge spaces, winter activity spaces (as weather permits) and the installation of a temporary polysynthetic skating rink on campus. We will have skates available to check out.
- The Jo: Campus Recreation is preparing the Jo to open for student use. The equipment, including elliptical machines, treadmills, exercise bikes and strength equipment, will be arriving next month. Looking for a job on campus? The Jo will be hiring! Keep an eye out on the student employment guide website.
- Chaplains Office: Liturgy in St. Joseph Chapel will be held weekdays at 12 noon and Mon-Thurs at 9 pm in addition to Sundays at 11:30 am and 7pm. Watch for new opportunities being rolled out this semester such as Note to Self letter-writing in the Chapel and Res Hall Eats, a creative snack preparation program.
- Programming: The Office of Student Involvement will offer a vibrant programming calendar and support clubs and organizations in their event planning and programs throughout the semester. Students can expect to see a variety of opportunities -- virtual and hybrid/in-person when possible.
- Student Health Ambassadors: SHAs promote healthy COVID behaviors, encourage others to do the same and educate our community in a non-judgmental way. SHAs will have extra masks, sanitizer and other safety items always available. They can also help you with other COVID-related questions. Find an SHA by looking for their bright green buttons or check out the roster on their myHC page.
You can get just-in-time information about everything -- whether in-person or online -- on myHC, and you can find out how the Campus Alert Level affects program availability either on digital signage throughout campus or online.
Please keep in mind that even when following guidelines and participating in activities under safer conditions, the risk of infection still exists. The virus remains very active in our local community. We will need to be vigilant if we are to have a successful semester.
We look forward to building community with you and staying #HCTogether.
Michele C. Murray, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Director, COVID Operations
Michelle Bata, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Student Engagement
Director, Chaplains Office
Brenda Hounsell Sullivan
Assistant Dean/Director, Office of Student Involvement
Director, Campus Recreation