Saint Bartholomew the Great, London
(the church was used for several recent films: Four Weddings and a Funeral and Shakespeare in Love
LOSBG1 Arch and Gatehouse. The arch is the remains of the original 13th-century doors giving on the nave. The nave was pulled down in 1539 when the monastery was dissolved. The space became a parish burial ground and a gatehouse was built above the arch.
LOSBG2 Kempe would not have been allowed access in the choir of the foundation of Augustinian canons whose choir was built 1123-50 is the massive Norman style. This part of the church would have been visible, however.
LOSBG3 On the north the tomb of founder and first prior. The dexter side of the high altar is the most prestigious location for burials in the church. The tomb dates from the remodeling of the choir in 1405.
LOSBG4 Detail of effigy of Raherus The inscription reads Hic Jacet Raherus Primus Canonicus et Primus Prior hujus Ecclesiae.
LOSBG5 Tomb detail showing arms of Abbey: gules, two leopards or, in chief two royal crowns or. The image of golden leopards and royal crowns on a red background shows a close relationship to arms of Normandy and of England and demonstrates that the abbey was a royal foundation.
LOSBG6 The transept arches were built in 1405 and would have kept visitors separated from the crossing and choir.
LOSBG7 The baptismal fond built in 1405 would have originally stood in the entrance to the nave, used as a parish church, and thus accessible to parishioners or visitors like Kempe.
(The Cathedral Church of St. Saviour & St Mary Overie, Southwark)
The church was founded in 1106 by two Norman Knights, William Pont de l'Arche and William Dauncy. The church housed regular Augustinian Canons, who built a priory just north of the church. Fire destroyed the Norman building in 1212, but the church was rebuilt. The choir and retro-choir was begun in 1220 in a French Gothic style, the first of its type in the region of London. By 1273 all but the western part of the nave were completed. The north transept retains its original ordinance. The nave suffered damage over the centuries and was pulled down in 1838. The reconstruction of 1890 replicates the Gothic style of the original.
LOSC1 Southwark Cathedral, north transept, 1230s-50s.
LOSC2 Southwark Cathedral, first bay of north nave, 1890 after 13th-century original.
LOSC3 Southwark Cathedral, tomb of John Gower. The renewed polychrome, although seemingly too intense, probably effects something of the multi-hued decoration of the original.