James M. Morrison, M.D.
Sept. 21, 2007
At his home in Worcester, at 92. Prior to his retirement in 2001, Dr. Morrison had maintained an internal medicine practice in Worcester for 52 years. A resident and, later, staff physician for many years at St. Vincent Hospital in Worcester, he was also a former senior physician, chief of medicine and board trustee at Fairlawn Hospital;
director of health services at Worcester State College; and medical director of the Providence House Extended Care Center. A pioneer in the treatment of alcohol and substance abuse, Dr. Morrison was a co-founder, in 1954, of the St. Vincent Hospital Alcohol Clinic; he was a charter member and former state chairman of the American Medical Society on Alcoholism and Drug Addiction and a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society Impaired Physicians Committee. His community involvement included serving as a volunteer at the Worcester Boys and Girls Club, the Dr. Paul Hart Free Clinic at Epworth United Methodist Church and the Green Island Free Clinics; he was also a founder of Faith House, a halfway residence for female chronic substance abusers. Dr. Morrison was the recipient of numerous honors during his career: in 1973, the Emerald Club of Worcester presented him with its Man of the Year Award, and, in 1976, the Worcester County Council on Alcoholism selected him as the winner of its Dr. Carol Johnson Award. Recognized, in 1984, by Worcester State College and Fairlawn Hospital for his community service, he also received a key to the city of Worcester. In addition, Dr. Morrison was presented with Worcester State College’s Good Samaritan Award in 1989 and, the Massachusetts Medical Society’s Senior Volunteer Physician of the Year Award in 1997. A graduate of St. John’s High School, he received its Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1990—and, in 1995, was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame, for his participation in four sports. Dr. Morrison’s professional affiliations included the American Medical Association, the Massachusetts Medical Society and the Worcester District Medical Society; he had also been a member of the Catholic Alumni Sodality at Holy Cross and a parishioner of St. Charles Borromeo Church in Worcester. A veteran, Dr. Morrison had served at the Portsmouth (N.H.) Naval Hospital during World War II. He is survived by two sons; three daughters; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; a nephew; and a niece.
William P. Roos
Sept. 14, 2007
In the Lancaster, (Pa.) General Hospital, at 91. Mr. Roos had worked as a chemical engineer in the private sector during the first half of his career and, subsequently, as a government employee in the Department of the Navy; he retired in 1980. Mr. Roos had been a member of the American Chemical Society and the American Philatelic Society as well as a parishioner of St. Philip’s Church in Lancaster. He had been a member of the President’s Council at Holy Cross. Mr. Roos is survived by two daughters; a son-in-law; two stepchildren; four grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and several nephews and nieces.
Robert J. English
April 8, 2007
In the Livonia, Mich., Lutheran Home, from complications of Alzheimer’s disease, at 86. During his career, Mr. English had worked 35 years in sales and marketing for the Ford Motor Co.; he had joined the company in 1949, after receiving his M.B.A. from Columbia University in New York City. Mr. English subsequently served 12 years as a management consultant for Results Systems in Troy, Mich., until his retirement in 1998. A decorated veteran of the Army Air Corps, he had been a bombardier/navigator in the 8th Air Force during World War II—flying more than 20 missions over Eastern Europe, including raids on the Ploesti, Romania oil fields; one of several hundred airmen rescued by the Serbian resistance in Yugoslavia, Mr. English was included in Gregory Freeman’s recent novel, The Forgotten 500. He later served with the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War. Mr. English had been a Holy Cross class agent. He is survived by his wife, Ruth; five sons, including Robert C. ’68; and eight grandchildren. His uncle was the late Joseph T. ’23.
William J. Reedy, M.D.
July 31, 2007
In Sarasota, Fla., at 88. During his career, Dr. Reedy had practiced internal medicine for many years in Omaha, Neb.; he retired to Sarasota in 1987. A veteran, Dr. Reedy had served in the Army from 1945-47. His interests included white-water rafting, canoeing, sailing—and, in later years, wood sculpting. Dr. Reedy is survived by three sons; four daughters; four sons-in-law; two daughters-in-law; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Jerome M. Kirchberg
July 29, 2007
At the Silverado Senior Living Center in Encinitas, Calif., at 87. Active in the optical business for many years, Mr. Kirchberg began his career in sales and management with American Optical; he subsequently worked for Univis Lens—in Illinois, Michigan, California, Florida and, again, in Illinois. Owning a small lens grinding company in Southern California from 1970-74, Mr. Kirchberg continued to work in the optical business, from Coronado, Calif., until his retirement in 1984. A Navy fighter pilot during World War II, he flew in operations over North Africa and Guadalcanal; in 1943, Mr. Kirchberg was named a test pilot at the Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River, Md. He is survived by three sons; a daughter; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Charles J. McNulty
Aug. 17, 2007
In Denville, N.J., at 84. A former chemist for Esso—now Exxon Co., U.S.A., at its Bayway and Bayonne refineries in New Jersey, Mr. McNulty had worked almost 40 years for the company, retiring in 1985. During his career, he had also been the president of the board of trustees of both the Clark (N.J.) Public Library and the New Jersey Library Trustees—as well as an elder of the Willow Grove Presbyterian Church in Scotch Plains. A veteran, Mr. McNulty had served two years in the Navy during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a son; three daughters; and 10 grandchildren.
John J. Brennan Sr.
Sept. 18, 2007
Of Manhasset, N.Y., at 83. During his career, Mr. Brennan had worked many years in the concrete contracting business; joining his family’s company, Brennan and Sloan, Inc. in New York, at the start of his career, he had been involved in the construction of many New York City landmarks. Mr. Brennan was a past president of the Building Trades Employers Association. He had been a parishioner of the Church of St. Mary, Manhasset, and a member in the Society of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick of the city of New York. Mr. Brennan is survived by his wife, Eileen; seven sons; three daughters; two sons-in-law; six daughters-in-law; a sister; a brother-in-law; 24 grandchildren; two great-grandsons; nephews; nieces; and cousins.
Joseph J. Condron
Sept. 16, 2007
In the Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, Mass., at 83. Prior to his retirement in 1987, Mr. Condron had worked 36 years for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Works. He had served as an ensign in the Navy Reserve. Mr. Condron was a member of the Sacred Heart Church in Pittsfield. He is survived by many nephews and nieces; and grandnephews and grandnieces.
Sept. 2, 2007
At his home in Tampa, Fla., at 83. A longtime businessman, rancher, philanthropist and community leader, Mr. Thomas had pursued numerous interests during his career—cattle, timber, seaport development, phosphate mining, fertilizer production, banking and equestrian sports. In addition to serving as chairman of the board of the American Agricultural Chemical Co., he had been the president and chairman of the board of Port Sutton Inc. in Tampa and chairman of the board of the Exchange Bancorporation—as well as a director of River Gulf Terminal Inc.; the Freedom Savings and Loan Association; Redwing Carriers Inc.; and Trend Corp. of America. Founder of the Florida State Fair Horse Show Association, Mr. Thomas had also been the co-chairman of the Community Relations Commission in Tampa, president of the Florida Council of 100—and a member of the Governor’s Advisory Committee on Corrections, the Hillsborough County Planning Commission and the Hillsborough County Industrial Development Authority. Founder of the Joshua House in Lutz, Fla., he had served as chairman of the March of Dimes and Curtis Hixon (Fla.) Rehabilitation Center and co-chairman of the Community Relations Commission in Tampa. A director of the Divine Providence Food Bank and Metropolitan Ministries in Tampa, Mr. Thomas had been the host of the daily program, “Appreciating the Bible,” on the local radio station WBVM-FM. Active in Catholic ministries in Florida on the parish and diocesan levels, he had also been a longtime supporter of education— chairman of the foundations of the Academy of Holy Names and the Jesuit High School in Tampa, Mr. Thomas had been a trustee of the Franciscan University of Steubenville in Ohio and chairman of the board of trustees of both the University of Tampa and Ave Maria University in Naples, Fla. In honor of his many contributions, he was named “Outstanding Young Man of the Year”; “Citizen of the Year”; “Wildlife Conservationist of the Year”; and “Tree Farmer of the Year.” Mr. Thomas was a Navy veteran of World War II. He is survived by a son; three daughters; a son-in-law; and three grandchildren.
John M. Frye
Aug. 6, 2007
Of Dallas, at 81. A Navy veteran, Mr. Frye had served 15 years as an officer—and was awarded the American Defense Service Medal; National Defense Service Medal; World War II Victory Medal; and the Navy Occupation Service Medal. He had been an active member of St. Rita Parish in Dallas. Mr. Frye is survived by a son; two daughters; a sister; and seven grandchildren.
Francis X. O’Rourke
July 3, 2007
In the San Tomas Convalescent Hospital, San Jose, Calif., at 81. Mr. O’Rourke had worked in the research department of IBM in San Jose, from 1964, until his retirement in 1990 as an advisory engineer; at the start of his career, he had been employed by RCA in New Jersey. A Navy veteran of World War II and the Korean War, Mr. O’Rourke subsequently served in the Reserves, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander. He is survived by two sons; two daughters; and five grandchildren.
Joseph D. Kilfoyle
Sept. 2, 2007
Of Peabody, Mass., at 79. Prior to his retirement, Mr. Kilfoyle had worked many years for the Social Security Administration, in its Boston office. He is survived by his wife, Teresa; a son; a daughter-in-law; and three grandchildren. His brothers were the late Richard M., M.D., ’40 and Thomas E., M.D., ’43.
Guy J. Luciano
Aug. 25, 2007
In the Susquehanna Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Johnson City, N.Y. Prior to his retirement in 1997, Mr. Luciano had worked many years for the New York Life Insurance Company; at the beginning of his career, he had been employed by the Scott Paper Company. His community involvement included coaching Little League Baseball, Babe Ruth teams and youth basketball, and serving as a board director of the former Binghamton (N.Y.) Triplets baseball team; Mr. Luciano had also been active in politics—as a Democratic candidate, committee person and fundraiser. He had been a member of St. Vincent de Paul Church in Vestal, N.Y. During World War II, Mr. Luciano had served with the Army Air Force. An accomplished athlete at his alma mater, Hudson Falls (N.Y.) High School, he later played basketball at Syracuse (N.Y.) University, Holy Cross—from 1945-46—and Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., from which he received his bachelor of science degree in accounting and economics. Mr. Luciano is survived by his wife, Margaret; three sons; three daughters; three sons-in-law; two daughters-in-law; a brother; a brother-in-law and his wife; two sisters-in-law; six grandchildren; two stepgrandsons; and many nephews and nieces.
Alban P. (Atkocius) Atkins
Sept. 26, 2007
At his home in Dudley, Mass., at 83. Prior to his retirement in 1989, Mr. Atkins had been employed almost 40 years by Dun & Bradstreet, Inc.; joining the company in Worcester at the start of his career, he later worked out of its offices in Boston and Providence. A World War II veteran, Mr. Atkins had served in the European theater as a member of Company K, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th (Ivy) Infantry Division, which was instrumental in the August 1944 liberation of Paris; wounded in action in Heurtgen Forest, Germany, he was awarded the Purple Heart. Mr. Atkins had also been a recipient of the Combat Infantryman Badge; the Bronze Star Medal; the Normandy Medal; and two Bronze Service Stars for action in Northern France and the Rhineland campaigns. In addition, the French government honored him with its “Special Diploma”—presented to soldiers of the Allied Forces who helped liberate France during World War II. An active member of the Army Reserve for almost 30 years, Mr. Atkins retired from military service in 1974 with the rank of lieutenant colonel. Involved in civic affairs in Dudley for many years, he had been a member of the town’s Finance, Appropriations and Advisory Committee; a member and chairman, for several years, of the Parks and Recreation Committee; and a precinct warden. Mr. Atkins had also been an active parishioner of Saint Andrew Bobola Church in Dudley. A member of the Military Officers Association of America, he was a former president of the Worcester County chapter of the Reserve Officers Association of the United States. Mr. Atkins is survived by his wife, Ann; a daughter; a son-in-law; and a nephew.
Robert E. Flynn, M.D.
Sept. 3, 2007
At his home in Mattapoisett, Mass., at 82. During his career, Dr. Flynn had been a longtime administrator of the Caritas Christi Health Care System of the Archdiocese of Boston, serving as president of the organization and chairman of its board of directors; instrumental in the creation of the health care network in 1985, he was appointed the secretary of health care services for the archdiocese in 1986. In addition, Dr. Flynn had been the director of medicine and chief of neurology for many years at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Boston. He had also been a professor of medicine and neurology at the Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston, a faculty member at Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, Mass., and an instructor at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital; named a distinguished professor by the Tufts University School of Medicine in 1991, Dr. Flynn had been a recipient, numerous times, of St. Elizabeth’s outstanding teacher award. Former chairman of the Massachusetts Hospital Association board of trustees, he had been a board member of the Massachusetts Health and Educational Facilities Authority and a director of the Fernald School in Waltham, Mass.; in 1981, Dr. Flynn was named a Knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem. A member of the football team at his alma mater, the former Monsignor Coyle High School, in Taunton, Mass., he was inducted into the Coyle-Cassidy Athletic Hall of Fame in 1992. A veteran, Dr. Flynn had served three years in the Marine Corps during World War II. He had been a member of the President’s Council at Holy Cross. Dr. Flynn is survived by a son; three daughters; and 10 grandchildren.
Charles W. Graver
In Florida, at 87. During his career, Mr. Graver had worked for the Sysco Corp. in Jacksonville, Fla., from 1976 until his retirement in 1988 as the director of institutional sales for the Southeast region; he had previously been employed for 11 years by Foremost Dairies—which later became Farmbest Dairies—as the director of sales. A graduate of Summit Hill (Pa.) High School in 1937 and the Allentown (Pa.) Business College in 1939, Mr. Graver subsequently worked for the General Electric Supply Co. in Allentown. Enlisting in the Air Force in 1941, he had served four years as an officer, a bombardier instructor and a bombardier on a B-24. Upon the completion of his military service, Mr. Graver attended Holy Cross; playing varsity basketball at the College, he had been a member of the 1947 NCAA championship basketball team. Following graduation, Mr. Graver worked for the Sealtest Milk and Ice Cream Company (National Dairy) in Atlantic City, N.J., Wilmington and Philadelphia, where he had been the director of ice cream sales; relocating to Ponte Vedra, Fla., in 1965, he then joined Foremost Dairies. Mr. Graver had been a member of the Ponte Vedra Club since 1965; president of the Ponte Vedra Community Association in 1970; and a lifetime member of the Beaches Historical Society. He had also been an active member, for many years, of the Christ Episcopal Church in Ponte Vedra Beach, serving twice on the vestry and taking part in other ministries. In 1997, Mr. Graver had been inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame. He had been a Holy Cross class agent. Mr. Graver is survived by his wife, Minnie Mae; two daughters; two sons-in-law; three grandsons; and three great-granddaughters.
Aug. 13, 2007