Mr. McKenna had taught 28 years in the department of modern languages and literatures at the College, retiring in 1987. At the start of his career, he had been an assistant professor of modern languages, for 10 years, at the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania; from 1953-54, Mr. McKenna had been a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Paris.
An Army veteran of World War II, he served in the European theater as an infantry platoon commander in the 354th Infantry Regiment, 89th Infantry Division; Mr. McKenna was awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge, American Campaign Medal, Army of Occupation Medal and the Bronze Star.
Subsequently commissioned a lieutenant in the Naval Reserve, he had been involved for many years in the intelligence program—first, in Scranton, and, then, in Worcester, where he had held the posts of executive officer and officer in charge, among other duties. Later serving as an intelligence production project officer, Mr. McKenna continued to work for the translation section at Naval Intelligence Command as a French and Russian translator, until the time of his retirement; he had attained the rank of commander in the Naval Reserve.
A graduate of Fordham University in New York City, Mr. McKenna received his master of arts degree there in 1949 and his Ph.D., in 1957.
He is survived by his wife, Claire; two sons, including Francis G. ’84; three daughters; three sons-in-law; two daughters-in-law; a brother; two sisters; a brother-in-law; a sister-in-law; and 14 grandchildren.
After completing his tenure as provincial of the New England Province, he was appointed dean and, then, president of the Jesuit School of Theology in Chicago, from 1976-81. Fr. Guindon subsequently served as special assistant to the provincial of the New England Jesuits; superior of Loyola House, Boston, from 1983 until 1985; and assistant chaplain at Smith College, Northampton, Mass., from 1983-88. He had relocated to the Campion Center in 1998.
Fr. Guindon is survived by a brother.