Rev. Donald J. King
March 29, 2007
In Rhode Island, at 94. Pastor emeritus of St. Charles Church, Woonsocket, R.I., Fr. King had served the parish from 1966 until his retirement in 1983; previously, he had been the pastor of Our Lady of Victory Church in Ashaway for three years. Following his ordination to the priesthood in 1937, Fr. King had been assigned to St. Philomena Church (now St. Thomas More Parish) in Narragansett—until his appointment, in 1938, as assistant pastor of St. Margaret Church, Rumford. After completing five years of service there, he continued his ministry at St. Joseph Church, Providence, from 1943-49; St. Mary Church, Warren, from 1949-51; and, St. Teresa Church, Pawtucket, from 1951-63. In addition to his pastoral duties, Fr .King had served as dean of the Woonsocket Deanery in 1977; member, for several terms, of the Diocesan Council of Priests and the College of Diocesan Consultors; elected member of the Clergy Benefit Committee; and president, in 1985, of the Senior Priests’ Association. He had also been the chaplain, friar and member of the Fourth Degree team of the Knights of Columbus. Upon his retirement from active ministry, Fr. King lived at the John Vianney Residence in Providence, where he continued to assist part time at several local parishes. Fr. King is survived by a sister; a nephew and his wife; a niece; a grandnephew; and three grandnieces.
Martin B. Murray, M.D.
Feb. 13, 2007
At his home in Springfield, Mass., at 96. A longtime physician, Dr. Murray had practiced medicine in Springfield for 47 years, prior to his retirement. Chief of staff and chief of surgery at Mercy Hospital in Springfield, he had also served as the city of Springfield physician and, for more than 20 years, as the Panthers team doctor for his alma mater, Cathedral High School. A member of the College varsity football and baseball teams, Dr. Murray was inducted into the Holy Cross Athletic Hall of Fame in 1960; he was also a member of the Forest Park Hall of Fame in Springfield and the Hall of Fame of Cathedral High School—which honored him in 2003 as one of its most outstanding alumni. His professional affiliations included membership in the American Medical Association, the Massachusetts Medical Society and the Hampden District Medical Society for which he had served as president; in addition, Dr. Murray had been a trustee of the Williston Academy—currently The Williston Northampton School—in Easthampton, Mass. An Army veteran of World War II, he had held the post of commanding officer at the Springfield Armory prior to his transfer to the Philippines, where he served in the same capacity at the 90th Field Hospital, a 300-bed surgical MASH unit; discharged with the rank of lieutenant colonel, Dr. Murray had been awarded the Presidential Citation and the Bronze Star. In 1974, he was a recipient of the In Hoc Signo Award at Holy Cross. Dr. Murray is survived by three sons, including James A. ’72 and Francis D., M.D., ’80; two daughters; a son-in-law; two daughters-in-law; and nine grandchildren. His son was the late John B. ’69.
Thomas J. Saunders
March 7, 2007
At his home in Chelmsford, Mass., at 96. Prior to his retirement in 1986, Mr. Saunders had worked at the Tewksbury (Mass.) State Hospital for 35 years, where he had been the superintendent and director. During his tenure, Mr. Saunders oversaw the construction of a 700-bed hospital building—subsequently named in his honor—laundry facility and power plant; he had been a recipient of the Governors’ Award for the Volpe Food Program and the Andover-Newton Medal for race relations. Active in civic affairs, Mr. Saunders had been instrumental in having the state return 97 acres of land to Tewksbury, which later became the site of several town facilities, including schools, a youth center and elderly housing. In recognition of his efforts, the Tewksbury Chamber of Commerce selected him as its Man of the Year in 1980, and the town dedicated a park and a street in his name; in 2003, the hospital honored him with the institution of the Thomas J. Saunders Award. Mr. Saunders had been a member of the Lowell (Mass.) Stadium Commission, president of the Friends of Tewksbury Hospital and director of the Massachusetts Public Health Museum. At the start of his career, he had been the president and treasurer of the John F. Saunders and Sons Supermarket in Lowell; in 1940 and 1941, Mr. Saunders was elected president of the Lowell Grocers Association. A 1929 graduate of Lowell High School, he had been a member of the baseball and basketball teams there as well as a member and captain of the football team. Mr. Saunders had served in the Navy during World War II as the senior commissary officer at the Quonset Point Naval Air Station in Rhode Island; he retired from military service in 1946 with the rank of lieutenant commander. Mr. Saunders is survived by a son; a daughter; a daughter-in-law; four grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces.
Rev. Bernard J. Conlin
Feb. 27, 2007
In Shrewsbury (Mass.) Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, at 92. A longtime priest of the Diocese of Worcester, Fr. Conlin had served many years at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Worcester; appointed pastor in 1977 and pastor emeritus in 1985, he continued to reside there until 2001, assisting with various parish duties. Following his ordination to the priesthood in 1940 at St. Michael’s Cathedral, Springfield, Mass., Fr. Conlin began his ministry for the Springfield Diocese as the associate pastor at St. Thomas-à-Becket Parish in South Barre; Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Parish, Westfield; St. Margaret Mary Parish, Worcester; and Our Lady of the Rosary Parish, Clinton. In 1951, he joined the newly established Worcester Diocese as the associate pastor of St. Bernard Parish, Fitchburg, where he had also been the principal of St. Bernard High School. Appointed pastor of St. Edward the Confessor Parish, Westminster, in 1957, and pro-synodal judge in 1960, Fr. Conlin subsequently served the parishes of St. Pius X in Leicester and St. Mary’s in North Grafton; in 1971, he returned to St. Bernard Church in Fitchburg for a six-year tenure prior to beginning his pastorate at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish. During his ministry, Fr. Conlin had also held the post of head of the Fitchburg Deanery. He had been a Holy Cross class agent. Fr. Conlin is survived by a sister-in-law; seven nephews, including Bernard J. III ’74, Francis W. Jr. ’80 and Walter M. Conlin Jr. ’80; four nieces; and many grandnephews and grandnieces, including Martha Strom ’87. His brothers were the late Francis W. ’40 and the late Walter M. ’44; and his brother-in-law was the late William J. Rourke ’23.
Charles H. Keenan
March 14, 2007
In Milton (Mass.) Hospital, at 92. A longtime utility industry executive prior to retirement, Mr. Keenan had held the post of vice president of the New England Electric Service Co. At the start of his career, he had worked at Princeton (N.J.) University and, also, at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, N.Y.; Mr. Keenan relocated to Milton in 1958. Active in civic affairs, he had been a member of the Milton Hospital Development Board, a volunteer at the China Trade Museum and an election captain of the town’s Precinct 3; a past president of the Milton Hoosic Club and a Eucharistic minister at St. Gregory’s Church in Dorchester, Mass., Mr. Keenan had been recognized by the Milton Council on Aging with a citation for his 30 years of volunteer service with the agency. Involved as well in alumni affairs at the College, he had served as a class chair and class agent; Mr. Keenan had also been a member of the President’s Council at Holy Cross. He is survived by two sons; three daughters; two sons-in-law; a daughter-in-law; a sister; 14 grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren. His son was the late Richard J. ’67 and his brother was the late John E. ’33.
Herbert W. Heintz, D.D.S.
Feb. 24, 2007
At his home in Clinton, N.Y., at 90. An oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Utica, N.Y., for many years prior to his retirement, Dr. Heintz had been a member of the staff of St. Elizabeth and St. Luke’s hospitals in Utica and Sunmount Hospital in Saranac Lake, N.Y. During his career, he had also been the longtime team doctor for the Clinton (N.Y.) Comets and—in 1980—for the U.S. Olympic hockey team in Lake Placid, N.Y. Dr. Heintz was a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. His affiliations included the Adirondack Mountain Club, the Miller Park Association and the Munson-Williams Proctor Arts Institute in Utica. He is survived by six sons, including Nicholas H. ’71; five daughters; four sons-in-law; five daughters-in-law; a brother; a sister-in-law; 36 grandchildren; and 26 great-grandchildren.
Timothy R. Connor
April 7, 2007
In Waterbury, Conn., at 91. During his career, Mr. Connor had taught Latin and history in both St. Johnsbury, Vt., and Waterbury, Conn. He is survived by a nephew; two grandnephews; and two cousins. His brother was the late William T. ’40.
Rev. James A. McCarthy
March 5, 2007
In the Catholic Memorial Home, Fall River, Mass., at 88. Prior to his retirement in 1989, Fr. McCarthy had been the pastor of St. Patrick’s Church in Falmouth, Mass., for 12 years; previously, he had been the founding pastor of St. John the Evangelist Parish in Pocassett, where he served from 1969-77, and the pastor of St. Dominic’s Church, Swansea, from 1967-69. Ordained to the priesthood at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Fall River, on Feb. 24, 1945, Fr. McCarthy began his ministry as a curate at St. James Church, New Bedford, in 1945; Our Lady of the Isle on Nantucket, in 1947; Holy Family Church, East Taunton, from 1947-48; and Holy Name and St. William’s parishes in Fall River, from 1948-67. During his ministry, he had also been the diocesan director for the Apostolate of the Deaf for many years and advocate, defender of the bond and judge on the Matrimonial Tribunal; following retirement, Fr. McCarthy had assisted on weekends at Corpus Christi Parish in Sandwich and St. Theresa’s Church in Sagamore. In addition to his parochial duties, he had served as the moderator of the Blackfriars Theatre Guild; editor of a question-and-answer column in The Anchor magazine—a publication of the Diocese of Fall River—chaplain of the Falmouth Firefighters; and member of the Falmouth Hospital Board and the Falmouth Council on Aging. In addition, Fr. McCarthy had been the chaplain of the Knights of Columbus councils of Buzzards Bay and Falmouth, as well as Faithful Friar of Bishop Tyler Assembly of the Fourth Degree. He had been a Holy Cross class agent. Fr. McCarthy is survived by a sister-in-law; two nephews; two nieces; and four grandnephews.
Paul A. Henry Jr.
March 27, 2007
In Naples, Fla., at 86. Prior to his retirement to Florida in the early 1980s, Mr. Henry had been employed by Onondaga County, N.Y., for more than 20 years as a probation officer. A captain of the Army Air Corps during World War II, he had served in the Pacific theater. Following the war, Mr. Henry had worked for the Shrine theatres and, in the 1950s, operated Elmwood Theatre in Syracuse, N.Y. He is survived by a sister; a brother-in-law; nephews; nieces; four grandnephews; two grandnieces; and several cousins.
John O. Marra
Feb. 3, 2007
At Tandem Health Care of Vero Beach, in Florida, at 85. During his career, Mr. Marra had been an attorney in Holyoke, Mass., from 1953 until his retirement in the 1980s. A World War II veteran, he had served as a staff sergeant in the Marines. Mr. Marra is survived by a son; a daughter; a sister; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.
John J. Campanale
Feb. 11, 2007
In Massachusetts, at 86. A longtime educator, Mr. Campanale had been an English teacher at North High School in Worcester as well as the track and field coach. During his career, he had also taught at the former Worcester Junior College, retiring in 1983. A Marine Corps veteran, Mr. Campanale had served in both World War II and the Korean War. Commissioned a first lieutenant in 1943, he served in the Pacific theater with the 2nd Marine Division and, also, in the battle for Saipan and Okinawa; later assigned to the Marine intelligence branch, Mr. Campanale was stationed at Nagasaki, Japan, after the dropping of the atomic bomb. A member of the track team at Holy Cross and, also, at his alma mater Commerce High School in Worcester, he had held many local and regional records. Mr. Campanale had been a member of the Men’s Sodality at Holy Cross and an active participant in the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. He is survived by four sons; two daughters; a sister; three grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces.
John J. Dermody
Oct. 23, 2006
In Washington, at 82. During his career, Mr. Dermody had been an oceanographer at the University of Washington, where he had been involved in the establishment of the Sea Grant Program; as part of his work, Mr. Dermody had spent time in Alaska, living for a while in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Returning to Seattle for retirement, he had been a volunteer at the Seattle Aquarium. Mr. Dermody was a veteran of the Navy. He is survived by his wife, Tommy; two sons; a daughter; a son-in-law; two daughters-in-law; and four grandchildren.
Robert E. Furlong, M.D.
April 3, 2007
In New York, at 81. During his career, Dr. Furlong had been associated with St. Francis Hospital, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., for 35 years, retiring in 1994; appointed an anesthesiologist in 1959, he served as director of the department of anesthesiology from 1978-84. Following the completion of an internship and residencies in pathology and anesthesiology at St. Catherine’s Hospital, New York City, Dr. Furlong had maintained a medical practice there from 1956-59. In 1990, the St. Francis Health Care Foundation honored him with its Franciscan Award—“in recognition of his outstanding dedication and spirit of selfless giving to the St. Francis Hospital Community.” A veteran, Dr. Furlong had served in the Navy as a line officer during World War II. He had belonged to St. Martin de Porres Church in Poughkeepsie for more than 47 years. Dr. Furlong had been a Holy Cross agent. He is survived by his wife, Eileen; four sons; three daughters; two sons-in-law; four daughters-in-law; and nine grandchildren.
Philip J. Nolan Sr.
Jan. 29, 2007
In New York, at 83. A longtime educator, Mr. Nolan had been a sixth-grade teacher in Farmingdale, N.Y., for 20 years. During his career, he had also been active in politics; a resident of Islip, N.Y., Mr. Nolan had been the vice chairman of the Suffolk Democratic Party, a zone leader and a state committeeman. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; five sons; a daughter; and 10 grandchildren.
Peter A. DelSanto
Jan. 17, 2007
In the Albany (N.Y.) Medical Center Hospital. Prior to his retirement in 1996, Mr. DelSanto had been a pharmacist for CVS in both Latham and Albany, N.Y. A member of the U.S. Army Reserve, he had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 364th General Hospital—and was a graduate of the Command and General Staff School. Mr. DelSanto is survived by his wife, Shirley; a son; a daughter; a daughter-in-law; two sisters; a sister-in-law; a grandson; and several nephews and nieces.
Edward L. Mahoney
Dec. 12, 2006
In Wisconsin, at 79. During his career, Mr. Mahoney had been the chief executive officer and a board member of Findley Adhesives in Brookfield, Wis.; he had also been a member of the Milwaukee Athletic Club for many years. Mr. Mahoney was a Navy veteran of World War II. He is survived by his companion, Josephine Fazio; two sons; three daughters; three sons-in-law; a daughter-in-law; a sister; and eight grandchildren.
William H. McDonough Sr.
March 1, 2007
At his home in Wilmington, Del., at 80. During his career, Mr. McDonough had served as a master at Family Court of Wilmington. A longtime parishioner and Eucharistic minister at St. Helena’s Church, he had been a volunteer at Adopt-A-Family Services and a marriage counselor for many years. Mr. McDonough was an Air Force veteran of World War II. He is survived by his companion, Dolores Mulrooney; a son; two daughters; a son-in-law; a daughter-in-law; two sisters; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Henry A. Reeves
March 6, 2007
At his home in Natick, Mass., at 83. A longtime business executive and an innovator in the field of advertising, Mr. Reeves had worked for the Malden, Mass.-based footwear manufacturer Converse, creating award-winning ad campaigns that featured sports stars in action; during his career, he had also developed major campaigns for other companies in the Greater Boston area, including Raytheon, Polaroid and American Optical. Mr. Reeves had first worked for the General Electric Company in its development program and, later, in its in-house advertising agency where he held a senior management position; one of the original writers of GE’s “More Power to America” campaign, he was a recipient of the company’s outstanding achievement award. Mr. Reeves was a veteran of the Air Force; he returned to Holy Cross to finish his studies following the completion of military service. Mr. Reeves is survived by two sons; four daughters; a sister; 13 grandchildren, including Susanne B. Whelan ’07; and a great-grandchild.