Holy Cross Home Skip the Navigation
Search | Site Index | Directions | Web Services | Calendar
 About HC    |   Admissions   |   Academics   |   Administration   |   Alumni & Friends   |   Athletics   |   Library
Holy Cross Magazine
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Book Notes
  Class Notes
 
  Road Signs
   
  Search the Magazine
  All Issues
  About the Magazine
   
 
  In Memoriam
     
    1923-1950

1951-2004

Friends

Carol R. Smith
May 16, 2002

Carol SmithCarol Smith, wife of Park B. Smith ’54, died May 16, 2002, at their home in Lakeville, Conn., at 51.

Co-Chair of Park B. Smith Inc. of New York City, Carol was intimately involved in all aspects of PBS, Inc. including operations, systems, finance and design. Carol’s standard of excellence, attention to detail, and the ability to address issues head-on were essential to the growth of the company.

Generous benefactors to the College, the Smiths donated $10 million in 2000 for the construction of a major new building on campus. Dedicated on Sept. 7, 2001, the Carol and Park B. Smith Hall houses the Center for Religion, Ethics and Culture, as well as the philosophy and religious studies departments, the Center for Interdisciplinary and Special Studies, information technology services and academic student services, such as the Registrar’s Office. The Smiths’ gift is the largest in the history of Holy Cross. In 1997, the Smiths contributed $1.5 million to Holy Cross for the construction of the Carol and Park B. Smith Wellness Center, a state-of-the-art fitness and training facility that is a two-level addition to the Hart Recreation Center.

Mrs. Smith is survived by her devoted husband, Park; her parents; a brother; three sisters; and the Park and Terry Smith and the Jim and Patty White families of Warren, N.J.

Reflecting on her life, College Provost Frank Vellaccio says of Mrs. Smith, “The immense faith, courage, love and generosity that Carol exhibited throughout her life, and, especially, during her last days, are beacons of hope to all that knew her. To have been her friend was a true gift of God.”

 

   College of the Holy Cross   |   1 College Street, Worcester, MA 01610   |   (508) 793 2011   |   Copyright 2004   | email   |   webmaster@holycross.edu