Feb. 3, 2007
Fr. Scannell joined the College faculty in 1954 as an assistant professor of English; several years later, he began teaching courses in the fine arts as well. Serving as chairman of the newly established fine arts division, from 1966-73 and, again, from 1980-82, he was responsible for greatly expanding the program at Holy Cross and, also, for helping to establish the music department at the College. During sabbatical years, Fr. Scannell visited museums in Europe, Russia, South America and the United States; in 1987, he was named assistant professor emeritus, visual arts.
Upon the completion of his teaching duties, Fr. Scannell served the Holy Cross Jesuit Community as prefect of health and community treasurer until 1999, when he retired to the Campion Health Center in Weston, Mass.
Fr. Scannell entered the Society of Jesus in 1937 at Shadowbrook in Lenox, Mass., where he pursued a four-year program in ascetical and classics studies; subsequently attending Weston (Mass.) College, he earned his bachelor's and master's degrees and licentiate in philosophy. From 1944-47, Fr. Scannell taught at the Cranwell School in Lenox — and, also, at Shadowbrook and Boston College High School; he then continued his studies at Weston College, earning his licentiate in theology in 1951. Fr. Scannell was ordained to the priesthood at Weston on June 17, 1950. From 1951-52, he taught English and theology at Fairfield (Conn.) University and, from 1952-53, completed his tertianship in Pomfret, Conn. Fr. Scannell then pusued one year of advanced studies in the classics at Fordham University in New York City prior to beginning his tenure at Holy Cross.
He was a graduate of the Boston Latin School in 1937.
Fr. Scannell is survived by a cousin.