Holy Cross Home Skip the Navigation
Search | Site Index | Directions | Web Services | Calendar
 About HC    |   Admissions   |   Academics   |   Administration   |   Alumni & Friends   |   Athletics   |   Library
Holy Cross Magazine
  Book Notes
  Class Notes
  In Memoriam
  Road Signs
  Search the Magazine
  All Issues
  About the Magazine


  Readers Write

Holy Cross Magazine welcomes letters regarding the magazine's content. Letters intended for publication must be signed and may be edited for style, length and clarity. Opinions expressed in the letters section do not necessarily reflect the views of the administration or the editorial staff.

Cover Fall 2004 “Days of Rage”
In the winter 2004 issue of Holy Cross Magazine, Peter Kranstover’s recollection of the “Days of Rage” jumbles the chronology a bit.

1. The black student walkout occurred at the end of 1969, the semester before the Cambodian bombings and Kent State, not after.

2. The demonstration at the ROTC building occurred the night of 6 May 1970, based on his memory of the RSU speech and the rock through the window. This was the second consecutive night of demonstrations at the Air Force ROTC building (the Navy ROTC at the time was located in O’Kane) and the leadership of the College was significantly more visible during these demonstrations than he remembers. Fr. Swords, then president of the College, personally intervened the first night and convinced the students to disperse. The second night, Fr. Brooks acted as a relay between the students and Fr. Swords and the demonstration ended when Fr. Swords agreed to meet with the students in the Hogan ballroom.

Mr. Kranstover and I both heard rumors of an intent to burn the Air Force ROTC building, but I never believed them. There may have been a few who would have attempted such an act, but the great majority of students opposing the war were intent on not letting any such thing happen. I believe that the ‘grace’ Mr. Kranstover experienced derived from the relatively small size of the College and the fact that bitter war opponents found themselves living on the same hallway, taking the same classes, and participating in the same extracurricular activities. If there was not agreement, there was usually respect for the people on the other side.

Brendan J. O’Donnell ’71
Fairfax, Va.

“Eating Disorders”
First, I want to say that Pages 4 through 13 of the winter issue of Holy Cross Magazine are some of the best pages that have appeared in any issue in a long time.

I am really writing because I am appalled that you would publish only one letter to the editor about the disgraceful article in the prior magazine on eating disorders. You also show no sensitivity by showing that terrible cover again. You, I think—and I know Fr. McFarland—received letters that said how wrong it was to have that cover and to make a story like that as the main article in an alumni magazine. If you are going to print any letters, you should give a balanced view.

I would hope in the future you think about articles and the people you are serving with the magazine.

W.F. Glavin ’53
Vero Beach, Fla.

“Fight Club”
Reading Mike Neagle’s “The Fight Club” article in the winter 2004 edition brought back many fond memories. I was sitting in the locker room, getting my hands taped, and I had just wished Kevin McEneaney ’80 good luck in his bout with my football teammate, Jim Haldeman ’77. A minute later, someone banged on the door and yelled, “You’re up. Kevin just knocked Jimmy out!” I remember being surprised at the brevity of the bout, and I laced up to face Jack McGovern ’80 in the last fight of the night.

I had some amateur experience, and Jack (a future Holy Cross Hall of Famer) did not. I was playing it for laughs, using an empty keg as a stool, and one of my cornermen was dressed as Tarzan. I thought that if I could just outpoint him for three rounds and neither of us got hurt, we would both soon be drinking beer in a social room somewhere.

The only problem was that I forgot to tell Jack my plan: he had other ideas. About 30 seconds into the first round, Jack caught me with a left hook, my mouthpiece went flying, and the war was on. I ended up winning a decision that probably could have gone either way.

That night was the last time I ever boxed. I did get to play for two football teams that beat Boston College; we also beat an Air Force team coached by Bill Parcells. Athletics was a memorable part of my Holy Cross experience.

Joe Miller ’80
Stratford, Conn.


   College of the Holy Cross   |   1 College Street, Worcester, MA 01610   |   (508) 793 2011   |   Copyright 2004   |                  email   |   webmaster@holycross.edu