- The Providence Sunday Journal of May 17
ran an in-depth story by Bill Reynolds on Joe Mullaney '49,
member of the NCAA championship team of 1947 and legendary
Providence College basketball coach.
- Rev. Thomas P. Henehan, M.M., '60, begins his article, "Tackling
Problems," for a recent issue of Maryknoll magazine, "When
I played linebacker for Holy Cross College in Worcester,
Mass., I never dreamed I would be helping pastoral teams
of Chileans tackle their problems in the light of the Gospel."
- The Los Angeles Times of June 22 ran an
extensive profile of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas '71.
- On Aug. 3, NBC's Today show profiled Richard
Conway Casey '55, recently appointed U. S. District Judge
of the Southern District of New York. Casey is visually
impaired and brings his seeing eye dog, Coach, to court
- The Kaplan/Newsweek College Guide '99 included
Holy Cross in an article on "dry" social events. The College
is mentioned for its innovative programs to encourage responsible
- The Washington Post's Style Section of
June 16 features a lengthy, lively profile of WUSA news
anchor Gordon Peterson '60.
- Ann Bookman, director of the College's Center for Interdisciplinary
and Special Studies, published an op-ed piece on the Family
and Medical Leave Act in the Aug. 3 edition of the Boston
- The Philadelphia Inquirer of Aug. 2 ran
the story, "An unlikely personality for television," by
Jennifer Weiner, a profile of Chris Matthews '67. Matthews
was also featured in the New York Times Magazine of
- The Aug. 26 edition of the Boston Globe featured
the story "Tending to teen's need to sleep." Amy Wolfson,
assistant professor of psychology and an expert on sleep
research, is quoted in the article. Wolfson points out
that the average 15-year-old needs around 9.2 hours of
sleep each night.
- Foodservice Director, an industry monthly,
ran a front page story in its August issue on the College's
enlarged vegetarian menus as well as the success of "Cool
Beans," the 40-seat coffee shop located in the lobby of
Hogan Campus Center.
- The July 31 edition of USA Today featured
a review of The Spitting Image by associate professor of
sociology, Jerry Lembcke. Lembcke's study of cultural myths
associated with the Vietnam War has also been prominently
featured in the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago
- The Sept. 5-6 edition of the International Herald
Tribune featured an interview with Athletic
Director Dick Regan '76 in its story "Putting 'College' Back
- The New York Times of Sept. 20 featured
the story, "The ABC's of Getting Ahead," a profile of Arnold
- The New York Times of Aug. 7 ran the story, "Yankees'
Interpreter Is Translating a Season to Remember," a profile
of George Rose '88, interpreter for Yankees' pitcher Hideki
to index of Features >